Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 1l

A10DRIVER

hi guys

i am thinking of buying a yaris 1L colour collection

year 2002 could you tell me if thay are ok or had any

trubble with them . and can it hold motor way speeds

at the moment i have a 1983 COROLLA wich has done 60k

but is getting long in the tooth like me

cheers A10DRIVER

jesus ur car is 18 years older than mine yet done mess milage than it lol. tbh all u have to look out for is the usual. check body work make sure engines runs smooth and check the brake. there isnt really much that gos wrong on a yaris

Lovely little choice :thumbsup:

Make sure its got a FSH as well, nothing really goes wrong, but make sure you have the service history so you know it's been taken care of... :thumbsup:

I used to have a 1.0L 2004 Yaris, has no trouble with motorway speeds (I believe the max speed is 96 MPH) but you can hear the engine "working" quite a bit as it's only small. I wouldnt say that it ever caused me a problem, and I always have the stereo on anyway.

As Blue said.

Crusing at 70mph means the engine is at about 3500rpm, which makes it sound a bit "lairy," but it copes with it.

If you're doing mostly town and main road driving, it's better suited.

If it's mroe M-way miles, I'd personally go with the 1.3l.

2002 means it's a Jap built model, so you know the build quality is going to be good (Not that the later French ones suffer, but they do tend to go back more under warranty).

Having a Toyota, you'll probably be well used to the odd "Toyota squeak," which the Yaris also has.

Peppy little engines, economical and cheap tax/ insurance.

My 1L is generally fine on the Motorway, the only time it seems to struggle a bit is when you want to accelerate up a hill (eg after a junction on a dual carriageway). Generally though it keeps up just fine and I've been driving to/from work on the motorway for the last few months.

Strangely mine seems to get noisy at 70mph but if you go a little over 70 the noise lessens. I'm not sure what that's all about! And of course I've only exceeded 70 on a private test track.. *ahem*

Also, my car used to belong to my wife when she first passed her test, and I've only recently passed so it's handled 2 new drivers thrashing it about with no problems! :)

I had a 51 plate 1 litre Colour Collection. Great car. Alright, it made a bit of a noise at 70mph but no problems. It developed a little notchiness when changing gear though there is a known Toyota fix for this and doesn't happen to all of them anyway. Go get it! :thumbsup:

Oh and sorry, Gnome but mine had a little sticker on it saying "Made in France". :yes:

Welcome to the club, I've got a 2000 1.0 GS & have never had any problems with it, as recommended, it's always best to get as much service history as possible but I bought mine from an auction in November 2004 with no history & have barely spent a penny on the maintenance side, that may be to do with the low mileage though (18500 then, 28500 now).

The main thing I've realised is you shouldn't be scared to give it high revs, I got mine a few weeks after I passed my test & for months I drove exactly the way my instructor taught me, keeping it to 2000 rpm & tbh it was quite slow & unresponsive. After a while though, I started gradually increasing what revs I changed gear & it's a lot better now. It starts to sound like you're killing it at around 2500 rpm but don't let it put you off, I normally change gear at around 3500-4000 & around 5000-5500 when I need quicker acceleration (like when going onto the motorway). It's perfectly happy to cruise at much higher revs too, an "associate" of mine usually cruises along on the motorway at 80-85 & occasionally cruises at 90 with no problems.

Oh and sorry, Gnome but mine had a little sticker on it saying "Made in France". :yes:

So does mine?

2002 means it's a Jap built model, so you know the build quality is going to be good (Not that the later French ones suffer, but they do tend to go back more under warranty).

So does mine?

Am I getting confused then? Thought you meant it was made in Japan if 2002 when French models were being made then. Mine was a 51 plate, registered in Jan 2002.

Probably me getting wrong end of stick. Full of cold and knackered. :wacko:

So does mine?

Am I getting confused then? Thought you meant it was made in Japan if 2002 when French models were being made then. Mine was a 51 plate, registered in Jan 2002.

Mine is 52 plate D-4d and has made in Japan sticker on it.

Anyway i had 1.0 GS 02 model before and it was an excellent car, very smooth and good fun to drive. As long as you don't go over 80 on motorway it coped well, over 80 it get a bit noiser. So go for it. Not much goes wrong with little Yaris and servicing is cheap as well.

Hope this helps

QAS

I had a colour collection Red 1L. Didnt have a problem with it at all apart from the usual service bits and wear and tear. For motorway driving it isnt bad. the 1.3 is better for sure, the 1.0L has no real pull at motorway speds, buts thats cos of the enine size.

So does mine?

Lol. I thought your car was newer Al? Or is this your previous car?

It's more likely he'll prolly get a Jap built car though, as they didn't transfer all building to France until 2003, did they?

Yes, mate it was my previous car, the red colour collection. This one is an 05 plate.

Saved a lot of confusion if I'd said that in the first place. :rolleyes: Told you I was knackered! :P

I have a 2000 1.0gs its an excellent car. Only prolems I've had are notchy gearbox, occasional clutch judder in winter and rear brakes locking to early. The brake problem was cured by a simple strip down and clean up. Dealers tend not to do this anymore on a routine service.

hi guys

thanks for the feedback you twisted my arm

went and got the yaris this morning.

it is a 52 plate done 14k full fsh both of them

mot in november 05 not moved since then. been in a garage

selling it because his wife dont like it. to upright she said????

her loss my gain i think we like it when i get used to 1st gear

ho and it has got a sticker on the window made in FRANCE

if it is good as the old corolla liftback wich is 23years old

i sharnt grumble. no rust mind you i had it waxoiled befor

every winter had it from new..

as i said thanks for the feedback

cheers A10DRIVER

I have a 2000 1.0gs its an excellent car. Only prolems I've had are notchy gearbox, occasional clutch judder in winter and rear brakes locking to early. The brake problem was cured by a simple strip down and clean up. Dealers tend not to do this anymore on a routine service.

Struans were going to do it to mine at the 20k service as a matter of routine. Some fool forgot to leave his locking wheel nut key with them ( :rolleyes: ) and left his mobile phone in the car ( :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) so they couldn't find out where it was. Anyhow, they're doing it at the 30k service instead ;yes:

A

Wow that's a very low mileage for a 52 Plate, sounds like you've got a good little car there.

Altho the bit about it being too "upright"? I dont have any problems with it

Enjoy your car :yes::thumbsup:

Congratulations on the new car, post some pics of it if you can

It's probably the driving position, it is quite high in the Yaris (& also was in the Corolla I learned in, probably a Toyota thing). I think that's a good thing though, I was a passenger in a colleague's Ford Ka a few days ago & I felt far too close to the ground.

It's probably the driving position, it is quite high in the Yaris (& also was in the Corolla I learned in, probably a Toyota thing). I think that's a good thing though, I was a passenger in a colleague's Ford Ka a few days ago & I felt far too close to the ground.

hi

it was the lady who had it befor me who said it was to upright

thats why she sold it. me i love it

i will put pic on when i find out how to do it not very good on the pc

cheers A10

Sitting upright is better for your back anyway.... I can't drive 'slouching'. I have a bad back anyway so sitting upright helps me.... I just need to find an upright seated sports car.... :lol::lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links