Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can Anybody Get The Acc Option To Work?

Creamola

Hi,

Well, I now have a T180. First impressions are good, but I think that the manual is written by the same folk who work for Ikea.....

I understand that when I slot the key in and press down the clutch, the starter button goes green and a press starts the car.

The manual says that if you don't press down the clutch, and press the button (which glows amber) then that is "ACC" - which means that you can listen to the radio and run other accessories without the engine running. The manual also says that you can remove the key while in this state and the accessories keep running for an hour.

You need this for when you want to leave the kids in the car (entertained) while you pop into Tescos - and you don't want to leave the key in there in case somebody jumps in and drives them off. On second thoughts, if you have met my kids, that might be a desireable feature - but I digress....

For me, ACC mode only works with the key in the slot. As soon as I remove it, everything turns off - which is the opposite of what it says in the Ikea manual.

Has anyone got this to work - if so, what's the secret?

Thanks,

Creamola.

The manual says that if you don't press down the clutch, and press the button (which glows amber) then that is "ACC" - which means that you can listen to the radio and run other accessories without the engine running. The manual also says that you can remove the key while in this state and the accessories keep running for an hour.

I don't think you can run anything with out the key.

The radio will switch off after an hour if the key if is still in and in ACC mode.

Hi,

Well, I now have a T180. First impressions are good, but I think that the manual is written by the same folk who work for Ikea.....

I understand that when I slot the key in and press down the clutch, the starter button goes green and a press starts the car.

You need this for when you want to leave the kids in the car (entertained) while you pop into Tescos - and you don't want to leave the key in there in case somebody jumps in and drives them off. On second thoughts, if you have met my kids, that might be a desireable feature - but I digress....

For me, ACC mode only works with the key in the slot. As soon as I remove it, everything turns off - which is the opposite of what it says in the Ikea manual.

Thanks,

Creamola.

Firstly, sorry for the apparent copy of the original above and no comment. I should be working for Ikea today is my only excuse.

Having had my Verso for a week now and I can also confirm the exact same situation.

Take the key out and everything stops.

Good for security but not too practical in certain situations it has to be said.

Firstly, sorry for the apparent copy of the original above and no comment. I should be working for Ikea today is my only excuse.

Having had my Verso for a week now and I can also confirm the exact same situation.

Take the key out and everything stops.

Good for security but not too practical in certain situations it has to be said.

Thanks for checking ToeKnee - I think the inability to be able to even run the radio without the key in the slot is a bit rubbish.

Check out Page 161 of the Verso manual:

"ACC (accessory mode) -

This mode allows accessories such as the radio to operate with the engine turned off. The key can be pulled out of the key slot in this mode"

• 4 weeks later...

But the only problem, is that the key has a transponder chip inside it, which takes off the engine imboliser, when the key is put into the slot!

But the only problem, is that the key has a transponder chip inside it, which takes off the engine imboliser, when the key is put into the slot!

But that's what you you want isn't it? So you can leave the kids watching the DVD or whatever, and nobody can drive it off - because the key is in your pocket.

• 9 months later...

I have to say its not a great idea to kill the ACC power when the key is removed. They should have put it on a seprate circuit at least for the power outlet and not connected to the ACC and then they could have put that on a timer.

Bypass the circuit, with a secondary, I am working out a electrical wiring diagram, and wiring it in soon!!! I hope!!! I am going to see if I can chase any designers at Toyota to think about this ACC problem, and get them to rectify the problem in future Verso's, and try to get them to do ours as well!!! Will leave imput when I get a breakthrough, with either the wiring diagram, or a response from Toyota!! If someone can scan in the manual, with ACC mode, as my scanner has broken down!! I will send that to Toyota, and visit local dealers to see what each one of them has to say, as my Verso is in for repair!!

if you need any help in tracing a circuit, let me know.

what are your ideas? which fuses in the glove box fuse board are powered on all the time?

when I get a chance I'll have a look

I just had a quick look at the fuse chart in the manual and it looks like one of the fuses is permanently powered in the glove box and not affected by the ACC.

Its the one for the rear brake lights (#48).

What I might try & do is connect a wire from the Battery side of this fuse to the Battery side of the fuse for the power outlet (#42). This will ensure that the power outlet is permanently on but each circuit is still protected by its own fuse.

I'll have to just verify the circuit for Fuse 48 first with a multimeter, just to check if its always powered, but its a strong contender. I've already checked that the brake lights operate with the key removed so I just need to verify the brake light switch is on the output side of fuse 48.

If it works I'll post up some pictures of what I did

I just had a quick look at the fuse chart in the manual and it looks like one of the fuses is permanently powered in the glove box and not affected by the ACC.

What I might try & do is connect a wire from the battery side of this fuse to the battery side of the fuse for the power outlet (#42). This will ensure that the power outlet is permanently on but each circuit is still protected by its own fuse.

I'll have to just verify the circuit for Fuse 48 first with a multimeter, just to check if its always powered, but its a strong contender. I've already checked that the brake lights operate with the key removed so I just need to verify the brake light switch is on the output side of fuse 48.

Hi there,

There is another convenient source of permanent power which I have used.

If you open the driver's door, you'll see on the right side of the dash a removable cover which hides another bank of fuses. To the right of this bank of fuses you will see a square pocket with what looks like a spade connector inside it. This has 12V on it permanently and you can just push a spade connector onto it. I don't know if it is fused so I added an in-line fuseholder which is cheap and easy to get.

You still need a ground connection for the negative side of the Battery, I did this by fitting a ring crimp under the head of one of the big self tapping screws which fixes the dash to the metalwork.

I presume this power point is for some diagnostic purpose or other at Toyota.

Doing it this way you can remove it all and nobody will ever know you were there.

Hope this helps.

Martin

What I might try & do is connect a wire from the battery side of this fuse to the battery side of the fuse for the power outlet (#42). This will ensure that the power outlet is permanently on but each circuit is still protected by its own fuse.

Hi there,

There is another convenient source of permanent power which I have used.

If you open the driver's door, you'll see on the right side of the dash a removable cover which hides another bank of fuses. To the right of this bank of fuses you will see a square pocket with what looks like a spade connector inside it. This has 12V on it permanently and you can just push a spade connector onto it. I don't know if it is fused so I added an in-line fuseholder which is cheap and easy to get.

You still need a ground connection for the negative side of the Battery, I did this by fitting a ring crimp under the head of one of the big self tapping screws which fixes the dash to the metalwork.

I presume this power point is for some diagnostic purpose or other at Toyota.

Doing it this way you can remove it all and nobody will ever know you were there.

Hope this helps.

Martin

Not a bad idea, then you may be able to do a craddle connector if you are brave, and put a double input feed onto the radio!!! watch out for unannounced cables!!!!

Hi,

Thanks,

Creamola.

I think the issue is the manual. I have read mine last night and if you read it cardefully the ACC setting will shut down after about an hour with the key in. Take the key out and it shuts off immediatly.

I agree this is something Toyota need to look at.

Good luck

John2

• 2 months later...
I am going to see if I can chase any designers at Toyota to think about this ACC problem, and get them to rectify the problem in future Verso's, and try to get them to do ours as well!!!

If you talk to those Toyota people you might ask them what was on their minds when they figured out you should be able to close the windows ONLY when the engine is running (ACC mode is not enough) and that if I decide to disable the childrens electric windows controls I also loose the ability to operate the windows (except drivers side).

They might tell you that it is a safety feature that prevents draining the Battery but why did they let the headlights on ?!? (yeah, I know, there is that anoying buzzer...)

It looks to me that the guy that did the electrical wiring has never driven a bike, let alone cars :censor:

That situation with the windows also annoys...

the way I see it, if you press the locking window button, then the driver & front passenger should have control anyway. It should only cancel out the rear windows.

Plus, when you press the button to lock all the doors, they should all pop if the driver attempts to open his door with the handle.

Lets hope they change these when they bring out the new MPV's in the next year....they are also working on a LWB Corolla Verso

• 1 month later...

:( The whole management of the electics on the Verso lets down a nice car. See my comments under the electic windows item above.

Toyota need to get to grips with this.

Just a thought guys, this 'ACC' mode (where it'll run with no key in the slot) is not the state that is entered when you press the Start button a second time without the clutch depressed, just need to test the theory!

There's something about the Verso - in some way it does things really well (like the seat configurations, the exterior/interior design - shame about the quality of the plastics), and in others its like "why on earth have they taken that design route" (like the white upper interior plastics, until you get to the back, where its black, the visible wire on the rear view mirror - for those who have the photochromatic variety - and going on further from that, the fact that you can turn it on/off, why on earth would you want to do that?)

And then there's the manual, which is so badly written its not true (direct translation?). For instance, it seems to refer to "air conditioning" as being "the ventialation system" in one paragraph and in another to refers to it as being the "refrigerated variety"!

Elsewhere, it mentions carburettors (which haven't been in UK cars for what 14years, and possibly even points is mentioned IIRC), whats that all about!!!

• 10 months later...

Hi there,

Here's some input from the Netherlands. Forget ACC-On without the key. ACC power is supplied by a relais and (now comes the problem) is located behind the..... Airco panel. The ACC relais is the most left one after you have removed your Aico switch panel.

So, how tot remove the Airco switch panel, therefore you have to remove the panels left and right of the radio. This is dona as discribed in the manual to replace ar radio.

Look at:

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/Aim.aspx?menuitem=1

than select search aim, select you vehicle,type, installation manual, navigation, press search and than select TNS700RHD (fot the UK) and than you see a manual how to remove the panels etc, needed to get to the ACC relais.

A German driver has an nice manner to prevent swichting of the radio instantly met pressing the start/stp button.

Look at :

http://www.toyota-workshops.de/Corolla/Cor...o-Verso-R1.html

and if you can read German (I don't think so) you can modify the ACC relais.

Nice, but not exactly what I want to doo. I'm looking for a way to detect if the key is in its holder. This "signal" needs to keep the ACC relais "up" so the radio (and navigation and Phone Bluetooth) wil stay ready as long as the key is in.

This also prevents switching "of" and "on" the radio (and navi and phone connection) every time f.i. in a traffic jam.

I'm going to find out were to "pick up" the "key in" signal and than I modifi the ACC relais with an extra input.

The "key in" signal is not present at the back of the key holder, thats what I know. Maybe its somewhere else at the relais panel behind the Airco panel.

If you have the door open and put in the key, a beep sounds to remind you to take out the key.

Thats the signal I want to have.

As soon as I fount out how to do it, I'm back here.

See you

JosT177BHp

Nice, but not exactly what I want to doo. I'm looking for a way to detect if the key is in its holder. This "signal" needs to keep the ACC relais "up" so the radio (and navigation and Phone Bluetooth) wil stay ready as long as the key is in.

This also prevents switching "of" and "on" the radio (and navi and phone connection) every time f.i. in a traffic jam.

I am not quite sure what you are trying to achieve, but my main problem is, as you describe, when you turn of the engine the radio etc. goes off as well.

I don’t know how Toyota have done this, but if it is done with relays. It might be possible to change things so that when you push the Stop button when the engine is RUNNING it goes to the ACC position and not the OFF position.

This solves the problem of everything turning off when turn off the engine in a traffic jam.

Also no key in detection should be necessary because if the engine is running the key must be in.

The only side effect of this would be to stop the engine and turn every thing off you will either need to push the Stop button 3 times. (RUNNING > ACC), (ACC > ON), (ON >OFF). Or more easy push the stop button once (RUNNING > ACC) and then pull the key out.

I think this would be preferable to how it now is. The advantage of this is in the fact there is nothing new, we are just changing the order that the stop button toggles through the existing states.

Obviously it would be much nicer if we could have Push Stop button means (RUNNING > OFF). Push and hold stop button (or push stop button with clutch depressed) means (RUNNING > ACC) but this means a new detection circuit.

I don’t know if this helps, but if you could make this work I would be very interested. Also, if you have a circuit diagram I would like to have a copy so I can look into this myself.

Hope this helps,

Andy

• 1 month later...

Would the easiest idea be to simply remove the key from the fob and lock the doors with the key leaving the kids in the car watching their dvd and you can feel safe as the doors are locked and no one can just jump in and steal your car?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links