Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can Anyone Help Me?

NydoStarfall

hi everyone

well what i want to know is in my yaris GS model that is a freetronic gear box is that when it goes into reverse that it bleeps constantly and it gets so annoying and i want to know from anyone that is there a way to switch it off as far as ive been told that it can not be switched off plz anyone is there a way

thxs

well thxs for the tip but i could do with finding out

Does you car have rear parking sensors then?

Surely you can turn them off, wouldn't have a clue how though - sorry mate!

Fuse :unsure: ?

Fuse :unsure: ?

When I had a courtesy car from Toyota, which was manual & fitted with rear parking sensors it beeped once when you selected it into reverse and then beeped the closer you got to something..the more frequent the beeps the closer you were to an object. Have you spoken to Toyota about your car?

because its freetronic i think its a safety feature should be able to find the bleeper tho and disconect it

hey

you cannot turn the beeping off, it is a safety feature as said above to ensure that you are aware you are in reverse and to not keep it in reverse longer than necessary to not wear out the clutch.

this is the same reason for the beeping in gear which occurs when either leaving it in gear while stationary or starting off in 3rd instead of 1st.

it can be annoying but to be honest, i drove one for 9months and i just got used to it and ignored it. its a quirk.

HTH

Welcome to TOC

I drive the MMT (a later version of the Freetronic) and it beeps only once as I engage reverse.

I guess that Toyota carried out a modification on the MMT in order to prevent sending the drivers mad. :D

As said above it is a safety feature to tell you that you have selected reverse gear.

I do not get any other beeping with the MMT(except if I open the door whilst the car is in gear with the engine running..............and that is not something that I am in the habit of doing :wacko: )

JUST NOTICED.............you live just round the corner from me...........PM sent :)

Edited by Red Yaris 54

...when it goes into reverse that it bleeps constantly and it gets so annoying and i want to know from anyone that is there a way to switch it off...

Welcome, NydoStarfall.

Looking up the wiring diagrams in the Haynes Service Manual, I found a buzzer ('b' in Instrumant Cluster, Chapter 12.25) by the side of the ECU ('c' ). Its use is shared between the reverse gear and the other functionality with warning beeps (e.g. headlights on with ignition turned off). Now you want to disable it for the reverse gear.

On the Stop and Reversing Lights wiring diagram (Chapter 12.21), it shows the wiring from the positive terminal of the Battery to the cabin fuse box and another from the fuse box to the reverse light (in the Lt. rear light cluster). Sprouting from the fuse box, there are two loops breaking this simple wiring in two places: one is the ignition on/off switch, and the other the reverse on/off switch (triggered by the gear stick). So, to complete the circuit of the reverse light, the ignition has to be on as well as the reverse gear engaged. For the buzzer in (or beside) the ECU to be activated together with the reverse light, there has to be a communication between them, i.e. a wire connection between the ECU (accessible once the glovebox 'box section' is pulled out) and the fuse box (or any part of this light circuit between the fuse box and the earth terminal of the reverse light bulb).

Conversely, to disable the reverse beep, a break is required in this interconnecting wire. The whole project hinges on the identification of this single connection. This may or may not be easy depending on how many other wires there are between the two boxes. The wiring diagram helps. One way is to identify all the wires there with known functions; the single one left out is the one we want. Now, at least we have a way of silencing the buzz: to locate and disconnect/remove this wire.

One last point: what you should be looking for is the wire which, at precisely the moment the reverse gear is engaged, shows an abrupt change (a surge or a drop) in the current passing through it (best using a clamp multimeter to save wire disconnection and reconnection).

Finally, I have to admit personally I do not find the sustained burst of beeps irritating.

--

Bee.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links