Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Yaris 1500 Miles On....

Roweow

Well I have done 1500 miles in 3 weeks, a fair run in period! I have no idea where i have been but she goes like a dream. I have a 1.4 D4D T-Spirit in Vivid Blue 3dr.

Its great basically, having had a 1.0l 2001 Yaris for 5 years there is nothing to compare between the two cars, suspension, handling, brakes, stereo, lights, build quality, everything is just so much better, the gear box, and the seats!

However i have a rattle, its going in in May to have it looked at, but its so annoying! Also the rear view mirror vibrates so much its horrible to look at, and the boot needs a fair old slam to shut it (apparently its a charachteristic of the car).

It flies, 0-60 isn't that great but 20mph plus acceleration is almost as good as my dad's Volvo V50 2.0D (which is based on the Ford TDCi block but with a higher power output) which is quite suprising, the A/C takes a fair bit of power out though.

£50 road fund, 58mpg, and the same insurance price as my old 1.0L Yaris who can complain.

Would i recommend it? Yes...

If i was to mod it..... Bigger alloys.... and a spoiler....

Fantastic car, love the smart entry system too, its so easy, and hassle free.

Glad to hear its going well mate! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

As for the rattles, most Yaris' get them, but probably best to get it checked out!

Well I have done 1500 miles in 3 weeks, a fair run in period! I have no idea where i have been but she goes like a dream. I have a 1.4 D4D T-Spirit in Vivid Blue 3dr.

Its great basically, having had a 1.0l 2001 Yaris for 5 years there is nothing to compare between the two cars, suspension, handling, brakes, stereo, lights, build quality, everything is just so much better, the gear box, and the seats!

However i have a rattle, its going in in May to have it looked at, but its so annoying! Also the rear view mirror vibrates so much its horrible to look at, and the boot needs a fair old slam to shut it (apparently its a charachteristic of the car).

It flies, 0-60 isn't that great but 20mph plus acceleration is almost as good as my dad's Volvo V50 2.0D (which is based on the Ford TDCi block but with a higher power output) which is quite suprising, the A/C takes a fair bit of power out though.

£50 road fund, 58mpg, and the same insurance price as my old 1.0L Yaris who can complain.

If i was to mod it..... Bigger Alloys.... and a spoiler....

Have you got anything in the boot or back causing the rattle? A mate of mine found a rattle after 2 trips to a main stealer. It was his spare bulb kit had a loose bulb :lol:

My boot is the same, sometimes you have to shut it twice.

I am 29(ish) and my insurance is £88 a year (£300 ish when I add wife)

Agree on the alloys, but not the spoiler

Overall it is nice (good colour too lol) but it doesn't really have any soul IMHO..

Hi I also have a Yaris 1.4 D4D 2006 in vivid Blue - I've got the T3 so no funky start button or smart entry! :)

Yes the rear view mirror vibrating is a real pain. Can I ask - how many miles does your computer register on a full tank? Mine never shows any higher than 360miles, and it only seems to do this amount no matter how carefully I drive. Also, my average MPG is normally only around 45MPG. How does yours compare?

It is going in on Tuesday to be looked at. Fingers crossed! Other than that I'm well happy with it.

If i was to mod it..... Bigger Alloys.... and a spoiler....

Fantastic car, love the smart entry system too, its so easy, and hassle free.

I have got mine up to 375 miles, but i usually get 400+ out of a tank with motorway driving...

I asked the dealer, they said it bases the calculation on your average MPG which would mean that if your average MPG is low, then your range will be low etc... its not a fault but a feature!

On the motorway i'm getting 55+ MPG in town around 45 MPG

I recently changed my Yaris colour collection for a new Yaris D4D T3. Overall very happy with the car apart from a few things which have been already mentioned:

- Vibrating rear view mirror

- Boot not closing properly

- few cabin rattles

One thing which I am slightly concerned about is the fuel economy. The reason I changed for a diesel is that I have a 70mile round trip to work daily and this is all motorway driving. Had the car for a few days now but the average fuel consumption has never gone above 52mpg and this is cruising at 70mph on the motorway. I'm concerned about this because in my old Yaris 1.3 petrol from a full tank this would give me on average 350miles for a full tank of Petrol. Based on the onboard trip computer it is saying I will get 375miles for a full tank of diesel. Looking at the literature before I purchased the car it says average fuel consumption of 62mpg and a full tank of fuel on this economy will give 580miles of driving. Have to see if this improves after a few more miles or a visit to the dealer will be on the cards!

I'm so glad another person has noticed this, I thought I was alone. I'm currently in dispute with Toyota HQ about the fuel figures mentioned in the sales literature. I too purchased the vehicle based on the "..over 580 miles on one tankfull", and "..62.8MPG" on the combined cycle. Now, I'm not that stupid to take this literally, however the vehicle doesn't perform anywhere near those figures.

My fuel computer is at '0 Miles' (from a fuel tank) after around 360 miles, no matter how carefully I drive. I'm nearly at 1500Miles and this has not improved. MPG is around 45MPG, early 50s at best.

I don't actually think the vehicle is capable of doing the quoted mileage. I know from owning previous diesels something is very wrong here. My uncle has a new 1.6 TDCI Fiesta which costs the same as the Yaris to fill up, yet he gets close to 600 miles to a tank. Crazy!!

PJ06 - the dealer will not be much help, in their eyes they have sold the vehicle in good faith. Trust me I've been to my dealer a number of times (Rayleigh, Toyota). Take my advice and write to Toyota Customer Services in Epsom.

Hopefully if more people complain, Toyota will either have to come clean or recall the vehicles.

Any other 2006 D4D members with this problem - don't stand for 350-400 per tankfull, this is rubbish. Ask friends with other make diesels in the same vehicle class and you'll be surprised what economy they get.

On others points - yes the boot shuting in a pain - needs a dam good slam. Could be due to increased build quality but a little overkill. I guess it's a marmite thing - you either love it or hate it! I think the rear view mirror vibrating will end up as a recall.

I recently changed my Yaris colour collection for a new Yaris D4D T3. Overall very happy with the car apart from a few things which have been already mentioned:

- Vibrating rear view mirror

- Boot not closing properly

- few cabin rattles

One thing which I am slightly concerned about is the fuel economy. The reason I changed for a diesel is that I have a 70mile round trip to work daily and this is all motorway driving. Had the car for a few days now but the average fuel consumption has never gone above 52mpg and this is cruising at 70mph on the motorway. I'm concerned about this because in my old Yaris 1.3 petrol from a full tank this would give me on average 350miles for a full tank of Petrol. Based on the onboard trip computer it is saying I will get 375miles for a full tank of diesel. Looking at the literature before I purchased the car it says average fuel consumption of 62mpg and a full tank of fuel on this economy will give 580miles of driving. Have to see if this improves after a few more miles or a visit to the dealer will be on the cards!

Hi Yaris '06. I havn't brought this up with the dealer yet as only had the car a few days and i'm assuming it will take a few cycles of fuel for the engine to settle down and bed in. I'm going to give it a week or two and if I see no improvement then I will bring it up with the dealer as it is the only reason I changed my car for the economy and milage I do. I'll keep you updated but also let me know how you get on with Toyota GB.

Anyone elso noticed the diesel engine to be a little on the "noisy" side? Not a problem just sounds like a Ford Transit van rather than a Yaris :)

Yeah - that is the same reason I got rid of my previous car, purely for the economy.

I agree the engine is fairly loud more so when it is cold. You could mistake the little Yaris to sound a bit like a transit van yes! LOL.

I think Yaris 06 is taking the sales literature to literally - in real life no car can make the government figures :rolleyes:

I spent the weekend nosing about my sister's new 1.0 T3 and I have to say that the more I look at the car the more I like it, but the other weekend I tried a new diesel one and I found that it was really noisy - there's far more wind noise and engine roar than in my P2 T3 D-4D (and I have big tyres on, which should make mine noisier) allied to the fact that with its chip installed its certainly no faster than mine.

There's a point though - the D-4D engine doesn't really loosen up fully until about 15,000 miles, so until then the economy and performance both increase. That's worth bearing in mind if you're new to the Yaris diesels :yes:

A

PS Just noticed pj06's post - doh!

How many miles do you get from a full tank in your diesel alanbradley?

I know what you mean about sales literature as usually should expect to get somewhere between the combined and urban cycle but what was slightly concerning is the urban figure is 52mpg and because I only do motorway driving, I would have expected to get more than this figure. I agree with what you are saying about the performance/economy thats why i'm gonna see what it's like after a few more miles/fill up's of diesel before I take it any further. I did have a courtesy call from the dealer today and mentioned the economy but like I was already thinking they said this would improve as it takes a few 000's miles for diesels to be run in.

Overall though very happy with the car just a little concerned over economy but saying that, done 450miles so far and not had to fill up yet but it's getting close to empty. Must be doing something right and should not beleive the good ole trip computer :)

Hey guys with the new cars :P !

Just thought I would add to the mpg figures. I have noticed in mine (not a diesel btw) that driving in the winter/cold months I get around the 36/7mpg where as in the summer/hotter months I get around the 47/52mgp

I might also add that the guys in the prius section have also been complaining about the 'printed figures' and the 'real figures'

How many miles do you get from a full tank in your diesel alanbradley?

I know what you mean about sales literature as usually should expect to get somewhere between the combined and urban cycle but what was slightly concerning is the urban figure is 52mpg and because I only do motorway driving, I would have expected to get more than this figure. I agree with what you are saying about the performance/economy thats why i'm gonna see what it's like after a few more miles/fill up's of diesel before I take it any further. I did have a courtesy call from the dealer today and mentioned the economy but like I was already thinking they said this would improve as it takes a few 000's miles for diesels to be run in.

Overall though very happy with the car just a little concerned over economy but saying that, done 450miles so far and not had to fill up yet but it's getting close to empty. Must be doing something right and should not beleive the good ole trip computer :)

If I get less than 500 miles to a tank then I'm disappointed, and I should point out that I am pretty lead-footed. That said, the last tank I worked out was the one from the 'Ring trip that covered my 3 laps. It still came in at about 53mpg over 480-odd miles. Normally the consumption sits between 55 and 58mpg. As I say, pretty good given my driving style. :rolleyes:

These figures are from my own calculations as mine doesn't have a fuel consumption thingy. It may be worth doing your own calculations by always brimming the tank and resetting one of the tripmeters - if nothing else it will give you an idea of how far off the computer might be.

As I said, the running in does take a good few thouusand miles despite what the handbook tells you of 600 miles or so. Both of my D-4Ds have taken 15 to 16k before they've felt right and the little black book of fuel consumption that I have (its about 6 months out of date now - I really must sort that out one night) shows a consistent improvement from tank to tank.

Anyhow, I hope that helps, but if you've got any onther questions then don't hesitate to ask :yes:

:thumbsup:

Alan

Hey guys with the new cars :P !

Just thought I would add to the mpg figures. I have noticed in mine (not a diesel btw) that driving in the winter/cold months I get around the 36/7mpg where as in the summer/hotter months I get around the 47/52mgp

I might also add that the guys in the prius section have also been complaining about the 'printed figures' and the 'real figures'

Isnt that to do with petrol expanding in the heat???

Just a guess though - I have no idea if petrol expands or not, I'm afraid the extent of my general technical ability is changing the channel on the TV.... :lol::lol:

AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! A whole page of posts about how little fuel can be used!!!

MPG isn't a primary concern of mine I must say.... if I get 300 miles to a tank I consider myself lucky. But then I do drive ever so slightly enthusiastically. And I have a petrol... the best. :lol::thumbsup:

Frog off :P

Not my primary concern either, but give it a break on the petrol v diesel for 10 minutes. Please ;)

:!Removed!:

A

Frog off :P

Not my primary concern either, but give it a break on the petrol v diesel for 10 minutes. Please ;)

:!Removed!:

A

Okay, if I must! It was only a fleeting comment... no harm intended!

If I required a diesel, then i'd have one and i'm pretty sure i'd be playing the mpg game... next petrol station? Nah... keep going... se how far we can go! :lol:

:D Er yeah, that's sort of what happens actually :blush:

A

It's all a good laugh until you've spent £11500 on a diesel car, that cannot match nearly any other diesel in it's class for economy. I'm very disappointed with mine.

I'm not taking the sales MPG figures literally, as previously suggested - but to get anywhere near seems impossible.

Yes, I guess I'm being a little hasty - but my experience driving other diesels means I know what I should be getting.

o well - perhaps I should forget the whole MPG thing, sell the car and get an Impreza - yippieee!!!!

I'm certainly not lauging at you - its a lot of money to spend on anything.

Oh, I meant to ask! You're not believing the Range function from the computer are you? Those things are notoriously unreliable and have a huge margin of safety (lets be generous here) built into them. Instead, run the car until the flashy light comes on without looking at the range. With time and practice you'll get used to zero-ing one of the trips and the average speed each time you fill and will be able to make a pretty accurate forecast of the range left based on your driving patterns :yes:

Don't get me wrong, I understand your concerns. When I changed from my first to my second D-4D I noticed the significant drop in economy, but mileage (and plenty of it) this car is now more economical than my previous one.

Alan

I think its just gonna take some time to loosen up perhaps. It's my first time with Toyota, and I know they are different to everyone else. I've got to say - it's a much more refreshing car to drive then the previous french brands I've had. Everything feels solid, should last very well.

I've started to ignore the dam fuel computer - just winds me up. I had it on temp today - was lovely to see we are getting some heat! Summer is coming guys!!

I'm certainly not lauging at you - its a lot of money to spend on anything.

Oh, I meant to ask! You're not believing the Range function from the computer are you? Those things are notoriously unreliable and have a huge margin of safety (lets be generous here) built into them. Instead, run the car until the flashy light comes on without looking at the range. With time and practice you'll get used to zero-ing one of the trips and the average speed each time you fill and will be able to make a pretty accurate forecast of the range left based on your driving patterns :yes:

Don't get me wrong, I understand your concerns. When I changed from my first to my second D-4D I noticed the significant drop in economy, but mileage (and plenty of it) this car is now more economical than my previous one.

Alan

:D

Good man :thumbsup:

A

Well I've just phoned up Toyota customer "care" and had a major rant and directed them to this very thread to see how disssatisfied we all are with the pathetic mpg out of the diesel. I went well off on one and its called to be being looked into, I cited rejection of my car and the fact I was sold it under false pretences and was well within my rights to reject it, that got them going. Called to be hearing from them by wednesday.

devon_guy - let me know how you get on. I've been speaking to Claire Patel at Toyota Customer Services which has hit a dead end. There is now nothing more she can do.

The dealership did a road test and acheived 67MPG on that particular run, which proves (in their eyes) the vehicle is fine. They will not accept return of the vehicle.

I beg to differ on their result, but Toyota can now only put it down to my driving style. Funny fact is I've been driving the car like my nan in a pathetic attempt to get the MPG! LOL

The car will get around 52MPG on 'normal' light footed driving. Yes 62MPG is possible, but you have to drive sooo lightly and and such a low speed - this is NOT normal driving. Forget the 70MPG extra urban figure - I challenge anyone to reach this!

I'm yet to see if this will improve. I have an open mind!

Well I've just phoned up Toyota customer "care" and had a major rant and directed them to this very thread to see how disssatisfied we all are with the pathetic mpg out of the diesel. I went well off on one and its called to be being looked into, I cited rejection of my car and the fact I was sold it under false pretences and was well within my rights to reject it, that got them going. Called to be hearing from them by wednesday.