Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Japan Vs French Version Headlights ?

mrazik

I bought my first Toyota Yaris 1.3 automat, made at 10/2000. So I think it is Japan version - VIN number start with J. The car is after small crash and i will need change headlights. I heart that Yaris has different version headlights - Japan and French. Where is these differences ?

Thank you a nd sorry for my bad english.

Hello, Welcome to TOC :)

French and Japanese built Yarii don't have different headlights, it's what we call different phases that do.

With yours being made in 2000 it would have Phase 1 headlights, which do not have the teardrop shape that the later models do.

To make it clearer click on this LINK of our Yarii, the blue one is a Phase 2, the Thunder Grey one is a Phase 1 which has headlights the same as yours I imagine.

Hope That Helps.

what he might also be talking about are P1 Jap built and P1 French built, the light are the same and are interchangeable but the connections for the bulbs at the back lights are different unless you want to rewire them.

Camshaft YES it is answer for my question. Maybe my question was not very good, but it is my bad english.

Thank you very much

• 6 years later...

I was looking for further help along the lines of the previous query!

I'm looking at replacing the headlamps on our 2000 Yaris 1.3 CDX as the old ones have yellowed and frosted and the polishing compounds really don't do the job any more!

I saw - TOYOTA YARIS (EXCLUDING VERSO) 1999-7/2003 HEADLIGHTS / HEADLAMPS ELECTRIC ADJUST I TYPE WIRING TRIANGULAR CONNECTOR INCLUDING MOTOR 1 PAIR on Amazon at £69.95 per pair which seems a good deal.

I told them ours was a JTD VIN so is a Japanese built model (I believe) but their answer was -

Hello

Unfortunately I cannot tell you by chassis number or VIN. If your vehicle has I Type wiring and a triangluar connector and within the years 99-03 they will be suitable.

Many Thanks

Looking at our lights I cannot see a triangular connector anywhere and have no idea about "I Type wiring".

Can anybody offer any help or advice please?

Thanks.

I suspect the ones being sold are for the French built Yaris. From 2003> the French lamps changed in shape again, you need Japanese lamps which are not the same

Kingo :thumbsup:

Isn't it always Sod's Law!!

If you Google 2000 Yaris headlights all you seem to get is the triangular connector (French built) version!!

Were there not many Japanese built cars running around in Europe?!!!!

The shape is the same - it's the plug that's the problem!

Any ideas where I could get hold of new ones, not breaker specials, without having to suffer main dealer prices!!?

• 3 years later...

Hi. It looks like this topic hasn't been updated for a while - was there a resolution elsewhere? I've just bought the same patter headlights as mentioned above. They are a perfect physical fit but whereas my Jap built 2003 Yaris has external leveling motors with a flat 3 pin connector on the motor, these units have integral motors with a triangular 3 pin connector.

Also, the holes for the sidelight and indicator bulb carriers are the right size - but have 4 slots at 90 degrees, rather than 3 slots at 120 degree spacing.

There don't appear to be ANY aftermarket replacement headlights with the correct connections - so it looks like I'll have to modify the wiring and cut my own slots for the bulb carrier bayonets to fit into.

Any further advice - especially on the pinouts - would be gratefully received.

• 1 month later...

Hi Rob, did you get any further with this? I have exactly the same problem. Did you manage to find a source of either the correct (French) plugs for the indicator and levelling sockets or the wiring diagram etc?

Oops, apologies, just noticed that you replied to this in a different thread!!

• 6 months later...

I'm having a similar problem I need a headlight for 52 plate yaris which is self adjusting and all I can find are motorised headlights any advice I'm totally stumped as to where to find one

Sorry - all I know is that I couldn't find any aftermarket headlights that matched my Yaris - so I went with the pattern headlights that are available on eBay and modified all the fittings to make my bulb holders fit. Lights now work and are much brighter without all the 'fogging'. And it passed the MoT with no problems.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links