Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Headlights

TAL

On 1st March I collected my new Avensis now coming up to 2500 miles.

Whilst I am very pleased with the vehicles power, quality and handling, I am however very disappointed with the efficiency of the dipped headlights

The first time I drove at night the lights gave no vision beyond 25 yards, in their highest setting. Driving on unlit ‘A’ roads, and meeting oncoming traffic, any speed above 30mph with this level of vision becomes extremely dangerous

After 3 visits to the dealer and new lights; the lights were checked against MOT requirements. The driver’s light was found to be at the lowest legal position; this was raised to maximum legal position

Although they are slightly better than previously, the vision is still very poor and it is like driving into a black void. They do not match up to other cars I have driven (especially the Honda Accord this car has replaced)

Writing to Toyota GB PLC, and a forth visit to the dealer led to a service engineer road testing the car in the dark.

Toyota GB PLC have advised me that they are unable to make any alterations to the car, they are passing my comments to the Avensis Design Team!

The service engineer told me that they have received no other complaints about the lights. I would be interested to know if any one else has had the same problem, or if anyone has any suggestions as to how vision can be improved.

:help:

I have complained to Toyota and the dealer about the poor headlight output, there all like that sir, was the reply. At best there only good for 40mph max.Travelled through the night to Austria and found they are the worse headlights I have ever driven behind, ended up driving on full beam. I do a lot of night driving and I'm seriously considering selling the car.

The fun starts when you want to change a bulb, have a look at the access especially the offside

I've had the same problem with mine. Found out that they get out of the factory with lights pointing much lower then it should be. I guess on all mr. T cars they do that. I have adjusted mines, lifting the beam up and changing the bulbs to Bosch Shennon Blue 4000k. Now they are great. Driving at night on lonely roads I don't even need full beam. Few months ago I went to the garage of friend of mine that has that thing for measuring beam elevation and guess what, they were not above the permited level. So, problem can be fixed easily by lifting the beam up.

And yes, changing the bulbs was a nightmare. Later on I've upgraded turning sings bulbs to Philips Silver Vision, to avoid that yellow spot inside the headlights. Procedure is the same as changing bulbs from the beams. This time it went smoother, I guess I was trained better... :D

I have just changed from a Renault Laguna with xenon lights to the Avensis and I am also a bit dissapointed, you don't usually think of test driving a car at night. Mind you you dont usually think you need to look for a noisy road either. I was stunned at how much road noise there is on certain roads.

• 1 month later...

I have just changed from a Renault Laguna with Xenon lights to the Avensis and I am also a bit dissapointed, you don't usually think of test driving a car at night. Mind you you dont usually think you need to look for a noisy road either. I was stunned at how much road noise there is on certain roads.

When I test drove the car I didn't really notice the road noise, but after my daily commute notice the rather excessive road noise too - sounds like the car is on a concrete section of a motorway, only it isn't it's on standard black top tarmac. BTW, I have the std Dunlop tyres, and will be looking to change to a different brand when they are worn.

When I shine my lights onto the garage door it looks woefully dim, and getting out of the car and looking head on to the lights, they look only slightly brighter than side lights! The lights have a very small reflector too, probably about the size of a large orange rather than the whole headlamp unit. However 'real world' driving around on unlit country roads revealed their performance not to be too bad, just not exceptional.

The previous owner had left the lights set to high beam with lowest alignment set (5) to presumably allow him to drive around with high beam while minimilising dazzling other drivers in substitute to normal dipped lights in position (0)

I reset the lights to position (5) and set high beam while parked on the drive, jumped out of the car and looked head on, and the power was similar to normal bright dipped lights and could pass as very efficient dipped lights like extra bright or xenon bulbs.

The actual size of the beam 'at the unit' is due to the projector style headlamps I think you'll find. I too have had issues with the power, I changed the bulbs myself ( no easy task I know) But thye are still poor. I like the idea of using pos 5 and high beam, may have to try that, mind you with the amount of work gear in the boot I may be dazzling other peeps anyway :(

Whilst I am very pleased with the vehicles power, quality and handling, I am however very disappointed with the efficiency of the dipped headlights

The first time I drove at night the lights gave no vision beyond 25 yards, in their highest setting. Driving on unlit ‘A’ roads, and meeting oncoming traffic, any speed above 30mph with this level of vision becomes extremely dangerous

After 3 visits to the dealer and new lights; the lights were checked against MOT requirements. The driver’s light was found to be at the lowest legal position; this was raised to maximum legal position

Although they are slightly better than previously, the vision is still very poor and it is like driving into a black void. They do not match up to other cars I have driven (especially the Honda Accord this car has replaced)

Writing to Toyota GB PLC, and a forth visit to the dealer led to a service engineer road testing the car in the dark.

Toyota GB PLC have advised me that they are unable to make any alterations to the car, they are passing my comments to the Avensis Design Team!

The service engineer told me that they have received no other complaints about the lights. I would be interested to know if any one else has had the same problem, or if anyone has any suggestions as to how vision can be improved.

• Like 1

Hi!

I think that the efficiency problem of the Avensis '03 dipped headlights can easily be solved checking the beam slope and fitting, if necessary, new high-performance bulbs like, for example, the Philips VisionPlus H7 12V 55W, that guarantee a +50% more powerful beam.

The contra-indications are the duration, 200 hours vs. 600 hours, and the price, £ 30 vs. £ 10 each. In comparison the xenon bulbs have a duration of 3,000 hours and a price of £ 150 each, but are obviously not fittable in conventional headlights.

Cheers,

Alberto.

• 1 month later...

I can't agree with Alberto's comments about xenon headlights below because I've just fitted a kit to the standard lights of my week old 2007 2.2D Tourer. And the total invoice price was £182. In short HIDS4U flogged me their outgoing Pilot, H7 fitting, 6000K kit and it was fitted in a few hours. Patience is a virtue when fitting or you'll damage something as you try to get the back cover back on.

The nearside one beside the Battery was easiest with the ballast/starter unit bolted under the Battery bracket. The offside one was bolted in a similar position beside the water bottle, but was much more fiddly because of the filler spout.

So what do I have now? A dipped beam that is much brighter that the standard bulbs: very white, almost blue, and they come up in brightness gradually when you switch the lights on. They achieve 80% brightness by the time you've selected gear and full brightness a minute or so later. Quite cool really. They run cooler than halogen, last much longer and draw about half the power. And if one blows you can refit the old bulbs without taking the HID kit out. Oh, when you switch the lights off you loose the light instantly - also cool.

As for the older cars, my 2003 2.0 D4D lights remained poor even after fitting 30% brighter bulbs so the HID kit is the only real option. The 2003 cars bulbs were much more difficult to change the bulbs than my new one. Still possible in my opinion though.

In short, if you aren't satisfied with the dipped lights and you can spare a couple of hundred pounds there is only one solution. Buy a HID kit.

Tony

..the total invoice price was £182. In short HIDS4U flogged me their outgoing Pilot, H7 fitting, 6000K kit and it was fitted in a few hours.

Tony

Could you pick out your model from their website? http://www.hids4u.co.uk/default.asp

it's one of the few sites without a search box :wacko:

..well it does have a search box but it searches the web!

I've been reading that fitting light bulbs in an Avensis was a professional affair? Do you reckon an occasional DIYer like little ol me could fit it myself? Anything remotely moderate in DIY skills technically challenges me :)

I think Xenon's are usually a £800-1000 option (but admittedly with washer wipe/jets)

..the total invoice price was £182. In short HIDS4U flogged me their outgoing Pilot, H7 fitting, 6000K kit and it was fitted in a few hours.

Tony

Could you pick out your model from their website? http://www.hids4u.co.uk/default.asp

it's one of the few sites without a search box :wacko:

..well it does have a search box but it searches the web!

I've been reading that fitting light bulbs in an Avensis was a professional affair? Do you reckon an occasional DIYer like little ol me could fit it myself? Anything remotely moderate in DIY skills technically challenges me :)

I think Xenon's are usually a £800-1000 option (but admittedly with washer wipe/jets)

Hi there,

You're right, the item I bought doesn't appear to be on their website, but I did save the link as a favourite, and here it is: http://www.hids4u.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=280

As for the cost I may have been a fiver under (forgot shipping), but you can see for yourself, £179.99 it is. As for DIY, if you can replace the bulbs then you can fit this kit. The only tools you need are a 10mm spanner needed to secure the backing plate to your car, a cross head screwdriver to secure the ballast to the backing plate, and a 25mm drill. The instructions say 22mm but the larger size worked better for me. I used a wood drill but I guess at a push you could use a stanley knife. I made sure the kit worked before drilling by fitting the lamps without the headlamp back cover, and then drilled the hole! I can't stress enough that you must be patient and give yourself plenty of time because if you start to pull on the wires you could break the fragile internals to the headlamp, or damage the back of the bulb. And if you have large hands like mine, you'll skin a few knuckles.

Anyway best of luck, Tony

• 10 months later...
I've had the same problem with mine. Found out that they get out of the factory with lights pointing much lower then it should be. I guess on all mr. T cars they do that. I have adjusted mines, lifting the beam up and changing the bulbs to Bosch Shennon Blue 4000k. Now they are great. Driving at night on lonely roads I don't even need full beam. Few months ago I went to the garage of friend of mine that has that thing for measuring beam elevation and guess what, they were not above the permited level. So, problem can be fixed easily by lifting the beam up.

And yes, changing the bulbs was a nightmare. Later on I've upgraded turning sings bulbs to Philips Silver Vision, to avoid that yellow spot inside the headlights. Procedure is the same as changing bulbs from the beams. This time it went smoother, I guess I was trained better... :D

Hi Bosnjo

I have a 2003/53 avensis 4d4 spirit, I have had countless problems with the headlamps melting and condensation. I am just wondering if you have had the same problem? What model in year is yours? Do the Shennon Blue bulbs give a lot of heat off? much appreciated if you could advice me with any info. thanks. garry

For what its worth. My mate owns a Honda. He was a passenger in my Avensis last Saturday and we were driving in heavy rain in Epping Forest. My headlights were dipped and I mentioned that lots of Toyota owners thought the dipped beam was poor on the Avensis. He told me the lights on my Avensis were much better than his Honda. That surprised me!!!!

For what its worth. My mate owns a Honda. He was a passenger in my Avensis last Saturday and we were driving in heavy rain in Epping Forest. My headlights were dipped and I mentioned that lots of Toyota owners thought the dipped beam was poor on the Avensis. He told me the lights on my Avensis were much better than his Honda. That surprised me!!!!

He must own the new Honda civic

honda-civic-sport-f.jpg

Most Alfa's tend to have woefully small headlamps too

GTV-1.gif

hello

i have a avensis d4d 2.0 2007 i am running it as part of our fleet of taxis in ireland,all avensis d4d,s, we changed to phillips x-treme 55 w h7 bulbs, dims only ,the difference is outstanding,purchased from autobestbuy.co.uk,try them you will not be sorry

I'm usually pretty good at "low skill maintenance" but NEVER will I attempt to change headlamp bulbs on an Avensis ever again!! Took me hours, loss of skin off my knuckles, colourful language that now means embarrasment whenever I meet my neighbour, and finally having to admit defeat and plead with my local dealer to finish the job for me ! Admitedly I do have hands the size of dinner plates! The end result was still pitifully low lighting levels. I have phoned Toyota UK on several occasions and the response is that really there is nothing that can be done apart from maybe changing to high intensity bulbs.

The service engineer told me that they have received no other complaints about the lights. I would be interested to know if any one else has had the same problem, or if anyone has any suggestions as to how vision can be improved

Methinks he is telling little porkies. My local dealer service department said that the majority of Avensis owners have expressed concern with dipped beam intensity and have asked for special attention to be paid to correct setting during servicing. Do technicians actually test these properly during servicing/MOT tests or just flash and say that will do!

i have a avensis d4d 2.0 2007 i am running it as part of our fleet of taxis in ireland,all avensis d4d,s, we changed to phillips x-treme 55 w h7 bulbs, dims only ,the difference is outstanding,purchased from autobestbuy.co.uk,try them you will not be sorry

I have just purchased the Philips Xtreme Power +80% xenon headlamp bulbs for dipped and Philips Vision Plus +50% xenon for the main beam. The dealer is fitting them and ensuring correct alignment for me on Monday for £30. Here's hoping the problem is soon to be resolved. I will let you know on Tuesday.

Piecing together this and other threads it appears that on the 2007 Avensis it's possible to change the bulbs by yourself, whereas on the earlier models it's a hand-shredding, cursing, take-it-into-Mr T job? Can 2007 owners who have tried to change the bulbs confirm whether this is correct or not?

Manchel, which bulbs did you first try swapping to? (i.e which ones had no benefit?). Let us know the results with the Philips bulbs!!

The bulbs I tried before were Halfords own make super bulbs but they were disappointing.

It was found that my offside bulb holder was broken allowing the bulb to move and a new headlamp unit is now required. This, with the replacement bulbs is to be done on Friday so I will again let you know if I am a happy chappy or not !

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I did call today to Toyota about condensation in headlights and they told me that they will change whole units for free(my car does not have warranty any more).They told me also that this problem is well known for toyota.

I did ask them also about bulb replacement(very poor light) and they could not recommend any.

I have a appointment for 6 of october.I will let you now after it.

Any advice what bulbs will give me more lights (my car:Avensis 2003,T4,2.00 litre VVTi)

Cheers

Woj

The condensation problem in Avensis headlamps is well known problem. My average monthly demand is 8 units!

I was unaware of people suffering poor headlamp light AFTER having their old headlamps replaced (The condensation makes for poor light distribution) Those of you who say the light is poor, have you checked for condensation?

If anybody comes up with a sensibly priced fix I would be pleased to hear from you via PM please

My Verso also has extremely poor dipped headlights I think Toyota and poor headlights just seem to go together also I cannot understand that with all the improvements which have been made to cars the headlight side of things have not improved that much unless you wish to pay for xeon headlights

Don't know if this was mentioned but with the new extended 5 year coverage on the headlight issue i have been informed today that it only relates to if the Headlight bulb holder is melted therefore causing condensation to leak in, no other fault with the headlight will be handled.

About 18 months ago at a service I mentioned the poor headlights, they said they would take a look , he came back to me saying the bulb housing was melted and the buld not set in the correct place because of this, both headlights where changed under warranty and have been fine since, I have two other friends with avensis who have had the same problem and both had them changed under warranty.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to raise this topic again - anyone carried out a replacement on a T180 56 plate Avensis. I am thinking of upgrading to a better bulb but not as far as xenon. Any advice on which bulb and as to simplicity ( or otherwise) of changing etc. please

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links