Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ae82 Steering Issues

ae82-4age

Hi there,

over the last few days I have started to notice a worry about my corolla's steering -

If whilest driving - I turn left (steering wheel about 180 degrees) feels fine, when I then straighten out its fine too, but when I come to turn right it feels really heavy until I have gone beyond the 180 degrees then it almsot becomes 'light' again.

It doesnt really effect me when driving in a straight line (or straight enough line) but when I need to turn round a 90 degree corner its easy for 180 degrees then hard another 180 degrees then easy again- once I am around the corner its exaclt the same trying to straighten the car back again - the steering wheel doesnt autumatically 'find' straight unless its forced.

I've had a look at the wheel balancing and the alignment both of which are now sorted out -

Has anyone experienced this befor - how did you remedy it? its a little unsafe if I dont really concentrate going round corners.

thanks in Advance..

Ash

ive got the same problem,im actually going to be changing whole suspension soon so will be looking at it then , would like to know too . Let us know if u gett it sorted.

i have been told it could be the steering rack but not sure myself

• 2 months later...

Hi I think you'll find if it is not any of your suspension components it is most likely the steering rack.......I had to replace mine also.

Its been ages since i did mine but i think there is a joint on the rack that gets warn and dries up and causes this.

well it did on mine anyway...hope this helps

Good luck.

Ps. what size wheels have you got on your car as this is 1 factor that causes problems on the ae82! :thumbsup:

Ps. what size wheels have you got on your car as this is 1 factor that causes problems on the ae82! :thumbsup:

talking about wheels can you get 17 inch alloys on a ae82 gt coz am having problems fitting mine but ave seen some ae82 with 17 on :wacko:

• 2 months later...

Hi I think you'll find if it is not any of your suspension components it is most likely the steering rack.......I had to replace mine also.

Its been ages since i did mine but i think there is a joint on the rack that gets warn and dries up and causes this.

well it did on mine anyway...hope this helps

Good luck.

after months i finally replaced suspension!! and yes twinny rider you were right ,the steering problem is still there! it almost feels like the car has power steering. it just dosent feel right not how an ae82 should drive . feels very light. where can i get a new steering rack anyone know?? please help

Hey sorry to hear you've had no luck in solving your steering problem even after changing all the suspension.......I'm sure you could try Fensport for a steering rack...not sure if they'll be able to help but give them a try on 01354 696968.....

One option is to change the rack for the later ae92 rack which is power steering but will require a bit of work as it is not as straight forward as just replacing the rack but is possible as i have a friend that has carried out this conversion.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Hey sorry to hear you've had no luck in solving your steering problem even after changing all the suspension.......I'm sure you could try Fensport for a steering rack...not sure if they'll be able to help but give them a try on 01354 696968.....

One option is to change the rack for the later ae92 rack which is power steering but will require a bit of work as it is not as straight forward as just replacing the rack but is possible as i have a friend that has carried out this conversion.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

thanks for the reply was going to ring them just thought there might be another company oh well will just give them a call and see what they got

If you are looking for for a steering rack let me know as I have one in my garage (Had a white ae82 six months ago then sold it but at the time invested in some spares just in case, now they are sitting in the garage)

The rack is of a D reg with a key in the barrel and a set of locks.

If you are looking for for a steering rack let me know as I have one in my garage (Had a white ae82 six months ago then sold it but at the time invested in some spares just in case, now they are sitting in the garage)

The rack is of a D reg with a key in the barrel and a set of locks.

you have a PM is the barrel part of the steering rack??

did you ever sort your steering prob out? my ae82 has now got the same prob. where did you get yours in the end?

did you ever sort your steering prob out? my ae82 has now got the same prob. where did you get yours in the end?

no not had time to sort it yet , just about to change discs and pads all round right now!!

let me know how u get on if u get yours sorted b4 me