Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another Noise...

Maggiore

Once again my Yaris TS is making noises....

It appears to be coming from the front of the car.... after ive been driving for a while 15-20 minutes... a deep ticking noise appears when im driving. It sounds a bit like slow, deep revs... but im not actually doing anything... as it happens when I dip the clutch or even just pull away etc

anyone got ANY ideas???

my first thoughts where the breaks... but im not sure anymore...

Thanks

air con is not on... and I believe its only when I press the accelerator!

when the clutch goes down I dont think there is any real noise to report

any ideas?

Guys...

just tested the noise out... it happens when I dip the clutch also....

can anyone help??? :help:

You say it sounds like slow, deep revs... is this simply, not what it is?

When my car is sat around in traffic, or if I put the clutch in pop into neutral and coast randomly (naughty! :P ) it idles pretty low indeed - not quite labouring, but any lower and it would be. like 650/700rpm

put the air-con on mate, see if it goes away as the car will idle closer to 1000rpm.

Does it occour when the car is stood still? if not, its something to do with the drivetrain / moving parts

• 1 month later...

I think you have the same problem as me.....when ive been driving a while and the engine is warm a sort of rattling deep noise comes from the engine (hard to describe). When the car is at a stop and is in neutral the noise is more noticeble yet when i put the clutch in it goes away. Im thinking if its something loose that the vibrations from the clutch is moving, creating that annoying noise. I hope so as i dont want to pay out loads of money on a new clutch!

The engine mounts on yaris are crap... the engine moves about a heck of a lot... get a friend to sit in the car with the engine running... put the clutch in and then lift it up very slowly until it's on the verge of stalling, this will make the car and most importantly the engine start to judder... hold it there while you look under the bonnet around the engine... check to see if anything is vibrating or moving. The following things are likely candidates:

Induction kit (if present)

Air-box (snorkel bit can vibrate)

Exhaust manifold

Heat-shileding around and underneath manifold

Engine cover

Battery (if not secured tightly down)

Drivers side engine mount can creak

Anything else that may be loose... check it and if there's nothing making a noise then at least you know it's serious! :lol: (sorry!)

I have a suggestion, albeit a weird one...

Does it happen with the fan off, or just with the fan on?

We had a similar problem with our Yaris in France whilst I was on holiday. Whenever you were holding at certain revs (about 2300, so just at 60mph cruise point in a D-4D) there was this almighty rattling from the right side of the engine. If you put your foot down you passed straight through the vibration and didn't notice it. Is this the case?

Anyhow, it was due for a service so I mentioned it to the service bloke and we went out for a quick spin around the block to make sure he could replicate it. Sure enough he could but we tried playing with all the controls and sussed it was the fan.

I wish I could tell you what fixed it, but the guy says it just went away when they went to sort it and despite many more trips around the block with a mechanic pulling away at the dash they couldn't get it to do it again!

btw, before this we'd already eliminated possibilities with the CV joints (did it on the straight as well as around corners) and warped/corroded brake discs (no vibration, pulled up in a straight line, etc.)

Hope that's some sort of help or points you in the right possible direction!

Cheers,

Alan

HA GUYS!

Ill tell you what the problem is on mine!

this is why I need a new gearbox!

ive took it to a few garages and they all say its the bearings in the gearbox!

this is why ive been looking for a new gearbox etc on here!

apparently its a v common fault with the tsports

costin me £460 to sort

gets fitted on Monday!

if it is the same noise as mine... GEARBOX IS BUGGERED

it would cost that to send it to ya!

otherwise I would

with it only being bearing problem you could probs fix it an sell it

my cars only done 19000 miles so youd get a canny bit of £££ for it

Well... my Gearbox got put in today and all is well

my old Gearbox is in my Garage now, it wasnt a bearing fault after all... something to do with a pipe on it or something...

not sure if you still want it Earpl?

yep

theres a small pipe bit thats been cut off... it was connectedby a wire

ive got all the parts etc

if u want it... its urs

Yeah from Reading! This is gonna be so easy!

Did i forget to mention i was in the S2000 :P

I cant find your msn btw lol

lol can only get track insruance for the S2k! Corners will have to be done in the yaris, will be close .....cough cough lol