Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Navigator Issue On Rav T180

TonyIOW

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, having just bought a new RAV T180 so, firstly, thanks to everyone for a great source of information. I hope I'll be able to make some constructive contributions myself in the future! Anyway, I'm delighted with the car so far, except for one nagging issue...the navigator! I really don't like the fact that some - many - of its functions, such as destination input and some telephone functions are disabled "for safety reasons" as soon as the vehicle starts moving. Sure, it may be irresponsible for the driver to try and use those functions whilst underway, but I don't like having that decision imposed upon me by a manufacturer; and, certainly, I've never known it to happen with navigaton systems which I've used in previous vehicles....more practically though, it makes no allowance for the fact that a passenger could be in the car wishing to set or amend the destination while the vehicle is moving - as actually happened to my partner and me the other day when we wanted to divert urgently whilst on a motorway journey!!

Anyhow, I've raised the issue my dealer and, on their advice, with Toyota GB to see if the setting could be overidden somehow - but they said no! My question, therefore, is does anybody know of any way of doing it "unofficially" such as using some "chip" from an aftermarket manufacturer, or disconnecting some wire to the speed sensor etc etc. Apparently the TV function on BMW navigators is disabled in a similar way when the vehicle starts moving but I've been told that can be overidden somehow to make it useable all the time! Now that IS irresponsible in my humble opinion but, nevertheless, if that's the case there must presumably be some way of doing it to the Toyota system?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. Cheers, Tony

I agree - it is the same on my Sat Nav in my 2002 D4D. It's so annoying that you have to stop if you want to change any of the settings! Not practical when on a motorway as you say!

If they consider it to be a safety issue, then surely they could put a sensor in the seatbelt holder, so when the passenger is "plugged in" then it enables these settings.

I will definately be interested to know if it can be over-ridden!

Cheers, Phil.

Yep, I have done this on my Rav's full screen sat nav....

Basically i put a simple on-off switch in-line with the sat navs VSS (speed pulse) input.

Break the input signal and all functions are back... close the switch and its back to normal (once the gps * speed signal work out where you are again)

Basically i put a simple on-off switch in-line with the sat navs VSS (speed pulse) input.

Break the input signal and all functions are back... close the switch and its back to normal (once the gps * speed signal work out where you are again)

Now that sounds like a plan....... Can you recall which wire it is? I can feel my soldering iron twitching to get going......

Phil.

Ok here's the info I have: -

In the picture below (the rear of my type of sat nav) the connector in the red circle is the speed pulse input, handbrake input and reverse signal input. The speed signal is the middle one I think (I'll check as I have the pin outs somewhere here.)

The connector in the red square is the reversing camera input... which I'm using for both DVD and a rev cam... see the link to the PDF file below which is the wiring diagram to do this.

sw1.JPG

Anytime trio mod

i'm using the switches in my other post to do this...

hope that helps.

In the picture below (the rear of my type of sat nav) the connector in the red circle is the speed pulse input, handbrake input and reverse signal input. The speed signal is the middle one I think (I'll check as I have the pin outs somewhere here.)

The connector in the red square is the reversing camera input... which I'm using for both DVD and a rev cam... see the link to the PDF file below which is the wiring diagram to do this.

sw1.JPG

Anytime trio mod

hope that helps.

Nice one Sp33dy :thumbsup: - I have the TNS200 with the small display cd/radio - but will work out the wiring and report back.

Cheers, Phil.

sw1.JPG

Anytime trio mod

hope that helps.

Thanks Sp33dy, that's really useful info, and it's great to know that something can be done to fix the problem!! I'll go and have a poke around tomorrow and see if my navigator looks the same as yours from behind.....that's assuming I can find out how to get access to it of course - I'm not too mechanically-minded, alas!! Is it much hassle to get the thing out? It will be great if you can confirm whether the speed sensor is indeed the middle wire when you've had a chance to check. Thanks again for the info, I'll report back and let you know how I get on!

Cheers, Tony

Sp33dy, just a quick question before I get the pliers and soldering iron out.....when the input signal is broken as you describe above, does the navigator continue to work as normal (with all functions restored) from the GPS signal pending closing the switch again - or is there some consequence of breaking the input signal, either to the navigator or anything else? Alternatively, is the vehicle position lost on screen until the switch is closed and the gps relocates itself?

I had assumed that the speed sensor served no function other than to restrict the functions when the vehicle moves - but a friend of mine warns that it might be needed for more, and that there may perhaps be "more at stake"!?! Also, for reasons of simplicity I'm wondering whether it's necessary to "switch" the input signal line as opposed to simply cutting it?

Thanks again,

Tony

I've just completed the 1st stage of this mod on my TNS200. I downloaded the PDF from the link in Sp33dy's reply and then went onto the website that was shown in the PDF. This then led me onto another forum where there was loads of info from people who have carried out this mod on the Sienna.

I then took the plunge and cut the violet/white cable which goes into the back of my TNS200 unit and connected a simple on/off switch.

This works spot on!! :) I am not sure about whether it looses position but, I guess all I would use it for is to start navigation whilst driving.

I plan to make a simple pulsing circuit which would switch a relay off/on approx every 10 seconds - so when activated it basically gets round the 20seconds rule where the GPS unit detects movement from the satellites and disables the functions (until the vehicle stops).

As soon as I've dug out my old circuit diagrams I and tested a circuit, I will post the results.

Cheers, Phil

• 1 month later...

I've just completed the 1st stage of this mod on my TNS200. I downloaded the PDF from the link in Sp33dy's reply and then went onto the website that was shown in the PDF. This then led me onto another forum where there was loads of info from people who have carried out this mod on the Sienna.

I then took the plunge and cut the violet/white cable which goes into the back of my TNS200 unit and connected a simple on/off switch.

This works spot on!! :) I am not sure about whether it looses position but, I guess all I would use it for is to start navigation whilst driving.

I plan to make a simple pulsing circuit which would switch a relay off/on approx every 10 seconds - so when activated it basically gets round the 20seconds rule where the GPS unit detects movement from the satellites and disables the functions (until the vehicle stops).

As soon as I've dug out my old circuit diagrams I and tested a circuit, I will post the results.

Cheers, Phil

Hiya Phil,

I was revisiting this post and just wondered if you've had a chance to fit the pulsing circuit yet - and, if so, if it was a success?

Tony

• 17 years later...
On 7/6/2006 at 12:06 AM, Sp33dy1969 said:

http://www.wellshome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Photos/sw1.JPG

Anytime trio mod

hope that helps.

Any chance on uploading the photo and .pdf again.....17 years later...!

Or any more info on later model Toyota sat navs(B7000/or latest 5900 Touch 2)!

Many tanks in advance.

19 minutes ago, Hillbillie said:

Any chance on uploading the photo and .pdf again.....17 years later...!

The member in question last visited the Club in 2011 - so probably not.

Guessed as much but worth trying, will check other posters 'last' post!

Maybe they downloaded them!

Cheers.

I’m assuming the maps would be horribly out of date by now. I mounted a smartphone charging cradle near the steering wheel and use the maps there. No use?

41 minutes ago, Dippy said:

I’m assuming the maps would be horribly out of date by now. I mounted a smartphone charging cradle near the steering wheel and use the maps there. No use?

It's really the wiring .pdf and photo, to connect the OEM rear camera!

updated maps are on eBay .

Have you got a copy...?!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links