Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Top Up Your Own Aircon System

GT4 BOOSTER

My car is ready but its a 91... is it gonna cost a fortune.. the heat is killing me.

hey i mentioned this recharge kit a while back in the avensis forum....i found it brilliant and was realli easy to recharge...even better i can get hold of the can thats 40 quid for 17.50!!!

You can, or can you tell the rest of us?? :!Removed!:

Hissing is normal.. its the gas flowing throughhe expension chamber, whre the system changes from high presure to low presure ;) In most cars this happens just behind the glove box....

Hissing is normal.. its the gas flowing throughhe expension chamber, whre the system changes from high presure to low presure ;) In most cars this happens just behind the glove box....

thats what i was thinking, cheers charlie :)

hey i mentioned this recharge kit a while back in the avensis forum....i found it brilliant and was realli easy to recharge...even better i can get hold of the can thats 40 quid for 17.50!!!

Is this somewhere that the great unwashed can also get it for £17.50? I'm having my AC serviced tomorrow (it's been booked in for the last fortnight), but next time it needs a topup it would be worth looking into.

I don't mind paying extra this time as it will be a full regas and inspection of the system as well as an attempt to dry out any condensation left in the system.

Cheers Marc I'll be getting some soon :thumbsup: For those too lazy to get to Halfrauds, for £41 you can get it off Fleabay HERE

Edit : Just found it on Amazon.com for roughly £28 inc shipping from the US if you can wait a while

cheers booster, asked me old man and he confirmed its r134 due to the type of valves :)

got meself a tin and squirted it in, aircon pump fired up for the first time and bubbles started forming in the sight glass (good i think?) and cold air started coing through, not mega cold like on my yaris though?

also, as im not used to having aircon on the MR2 i can hear a hissing noise.. this comes from behind the dash where the exchanger is and you can also hear it in the engine bay?

is this normal or are the seals potentially bust? which may have caused the lapse in gas in the first place?

if its not cold try the steam into the recirc box , using a kettle or wallpaper steamer etc. it made my gt4's air con freezing.

you can remove algae from the condensor by boiling a kettle near the glove box with air con on for 20 minutes on recirculate , followed by 10 minutes on fresh air to dry out all your vents and tubes . this i tried on my gt4 after removing the whole glove box , my air con after had never been as cold

cool ill try that

it aint been used much for 2 years

where can i get a conversion kit?

The recharger and retrofit kit is available on Amazon.Com together with the recharge:-

Artic Freeze R-134a Recharging & Retrofit Kit $54.95 + $40 shipping to UK; I think that's about £52 so not much more than the Charge Kit itself costs in the UK.

I did try buying just the charge kit it said it couldn't ship to UK; perhaps a particular supplier's policy, rather than a problem with posting this chemical?

compressed gas..... big no no for air freight ;)

with the whole steam thing.... do you direct it into that intake thingy behind the glove box?

IF ITS R12 YOU HAVE A VALVE LIKE A CAR WHEEL , if its r134a its totally different , ie the valve sits way down in a recess.

I'm confuzzled now. Mine (91 GT4 CS) has a valve that looks very similar to a car tyre valve (which I believe indicates R134a) but I had understood that they were R12 up until about 94.

Anyone able to advise? In the mean time, I have a steam cleaner, so I'll maybe attack the heat exchanger with that.

Cheers.

T

yeah it has a large 'valve cap' style thing, with a H or L stomped onto it, will be mounted on a smallish alloy tube

Our of interest, where the hell are the top, up valves in a rev 3 mr2?? I had a quick look at Mish's car as that needs a R134a regass..... and I couldn't find them!!

I am guessing at the front between the headlights under the cover?

low pressure valve is in the front, passenger side, just behind the spare, hidden behind the plastics aswell i think, the sight glass is just below it aswell

Sweet... and the high?

cant remember without looking! possibly at the front..... ill check later

Ta!

IF ITS R12 YOU HAVE A VALVE LIKE A CAR WHEEL , if its r134a its totally different , ie the valve sits way down in a recess.

I'm confuzzled now. Mine (91 GT4 CS) has a valve that looks very similar to a car tyre valve (which I believe indicates R134a) but I had understood that they were R12 up until about 94.

Anyone able to advise? In the mean time, I have a steam cleaner, so I'll maybe attack the heat exchanger with that.

Cheers.

T

R12 GAS has a car like valve

and yes JAXX as close to the recirc intake the better , 20 minutes with air con on full , then 10 minutes with no kettle to dry out the system .

T600 Its possible that your system has been converted to R134a at some time. I know of quite a few late 80`s early 90`s cars that have been. :thumbsup:

r134a valves look like this

CLP-20125.jpg

r134a valves look like this

CLP-20125.jpg

Sorry, I got your original post AAF. The valve doesn't look like that.

The fact that it looks like a car valve, and the car's age both suggest that it's R12.

Thanks very much for your help Booster, you're a star.

Wanders off to Amazon.com to order conversion kit.

since mid eighties and early 90's all cars have used R134, this is due to R12 being a CFC. so most modern cars will be R134

• 1 year later...