• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 davidathomas42

davidathomas42

• Registered Member
  • 12 posts
  • Toyota Model: MR2

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:54 PM

I have been fitting a K&N induction kit to my N/A today and a new top strut brace cos the old one had rotted through, I polished the replacement up and it looks great,, but now I notice how dirty the engine bay is and everything in it, I was going to get it steam cleaned today but thought I would first tap some wisdom off here.

has anyone had theres done,, is there any thing i really should cover to prevent water getting in,, and has there been any problems encountered afterwards???

thanks, and i will post the outcome of it too to let others know

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 gump2000

gump2000

Advanced Club Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Toyota Model: mr2 turbo rev1

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:39 PM

Hi mate.

just be weary because water will more than likely get into your dizzy cap, all the plugs and you will face an embarassing breakdown to the humor of others.
If you go to a decent valeters they may refuse to do it or tell you they are not responsible if it breaks down.

On the othe hand if it does stop you will need to blow, wipe away any electrical ignition component that would be affected by water. as soon as it starts up again it should be ok.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

#3 Bobby-H

Bobby-H

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Toyota Model: MR2 T-Bar

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:28 AM

I have been fitting a K&N induction kit to my N/A today and a new top strut brace cos the old one had rotted through, I polished the replacement up and it looks great,, but now I notice how dirty the engine bay is and everything in it, I was going to get it steam cleaned today but thought I would first tap some wisdom off here.

has anyone had theres done,, is there any thing i really should cover to prevent water getting in,, and has there been any problems encountered afterwards???

thanks, and i will post the outcome of it too to let others know

To be honest, unless the engine is really coted in cr@p I wouldnt bother. If water gets in any of the electrical components it can be quite tricky to find where the problem is - worst case, it might actually cause damage to something expensive like the ECU.

You might be better off cleaning the engine by hand using a bit of degreaser and a brush or something.

#4 Steve-O 2006

Steve-O 2006

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Toyota Model: MR2 Turbo

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:45 PM

New cars dont mind having the engine bays pressure washed... Well at least New BMW's and Mini's dont mind it... We do it at work (BMW Dealership).

I wouldnt recommend it on older cars unless you cover electrical things up as I did my 1991 Merc 190E and it got water in the distributer and it spluttered all the way home :)... Took 30 mins to solve it but still, wasnt very nice, thought I killed my car :P.. Oh yea, Plus side was my engine looked brand new :D

#5 clarky

clarky

Top Rank Poster!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • Toyota Model: Yaris

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:21 AM

I thought about this then decided to use degreaser instead (which Ive done with the yaris to good effect in the past). Got the CO2 stuff from halfrauds - two stage thingy.

Got the engine warm - sprayed the degreaser (having polly bagged anything electrical and apexi). Left it, then cleaned it off and dried as best as I could...

... three days later I was still getting a misfire - sounded like a scooby. Eventually tracked it down to being a drop of water had gotten into one of the plug sleaves. What Id suggest is that you use some pvc tape and make a rim of it round the plug sleave before you start.

Havent done it since - have decided to bite the bullet and send the car off to be pro polished instead - more long lasting.

#6 JustJJ

JustJJ

The Photoshop Queen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,986 posts
  • Gender*:Female
  • Toyota Model: 2.0l mk2 rev2 MR2 GTi16 T-bar In Zircon Blue

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:50 AM

Had mine done tuesday before JAE... and she didnt seem to care at all.. the valeter who did it told me he wasnt happy going near my alarm (good for him) and bagged it all off... and she started up no probs etc.. and it got rid of all the gunk in there.. I just need to polish :P lol

#7 Steve-O 2006

Steve-O 2006

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Toyota Model: MR2 Turbo

Posted 26 July 2006 - 04:51 PM

hhhmmmmm... got some water on the engine on a brand new mini today... It didnt seem to like it very much as when I pressed the accelerator it wouldnt rev or anything, just sat ticking over (Like the accelerator was disconnected from the engine)... After 5 mins or ticking over it was ok. I think the mini was <I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?>ed anyway as even the mechanic said it shouldnt have done that... It was just going in the showroom anyway so it would be fine ;)

#8 chris23

chris23

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Toyota Model: MK2 MR2 2.0L 16V GT T.BAR

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:39 PM

I had the engine bay in my 2 steam cleaned about 3 years ago. Caused no problems at all, and engine looked wicked.... was a bit of a risk i suppose :lol:

#9 davidathomas42

davidathomas42

• Registered Member
  • 12 posts
  • Toyota Model: MR2

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:34 PM

THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS,,, I WILL BE GOING AHEAD WITH IT EVEN THOUGH ITS NOT A REAL MESS UNDER THERE,, I SHOULD TELL YOU ALL I HAVE OCD AND CANT COPE WITH THINGS BEEN DIRTY OR OUT OF PLACE,, I CANT SLEEP IF THINGS ARE!!!! DOES NOT RULE MY LIFE BUT I WILL BE STEAM CLEANING IT.
TO MAKE ME FEEL BETTER,, I POLISH THE CAR ABOUT 3TIMES A WEEK AT THE MOMENT AS I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET THE PAINT BACK FROM PINK TO RED AND ITS LOOKING AWESOME NOW!!! SO THE ENGINE HAS TO MATCH,,, WILL TAKE MY TIME AND CHECK ALL THE PLUG SOCKETS AND STUFF ARE WELL DRY AFTER AS THAT SEEMS TO BE THE ISSUE.

LET YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES

#10 carlos0296

carlos0296

• Registered Member
  • 9 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: MR2 Rev2

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:06 PM

Had mind pressure washed no issues to report just put a bag over dizzy cap and she started up first time, always good to warm her up first helps in the drying out later and keep jet away from the spark plugs!

;)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users