Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Home Built Pc's

Fidgits

Okay, as is the way with computers, if you dont stay up to date, you get left behind...

Now, my mainboard died a couple of years ago, and i upgraded it with an Athlon XP (2100 or something), stuck with the AGP video card I had at the time, and added another IDE HDD... new PSU etc...

later on i added a gig of 3100 DDR2 RAM

Now the case is probably 8-10 years old, along with the DVD-rom and CD-RW... as i say, the rest is somewhere in the 2-5 years old...

And finally getting to the point...

I'm lacking somewhat HDD space since getting an Ipod, and dont have enough to install Unreal Tournament back on..

Performance-wise, I have no real gripes, it doesnt get a hammering on games anymore...

but i'd like to know whats best? Just find a decent size IDE HDD, or should I consider shelling out and upgrading the system? or just adding bits and bobs?

Where are the best places to buy this sort of stuff from? I used to use Dabs, but Ive heard they were bought by the Dixons group....

I use Aria Technology for PC bits when I wanna upgrade... never had problems with them or their stuff

Guest rev3turbo

i use my trade account at local place, mucho cheapness but if u aint got one or can't blag one....... ebuyer all the way

can fault overclockers, i got 2x 250GB Spinpoint drives for less than a ton recently! which i know have set up in RAID doing a variety of things

www.overclockers.co.uk

or try these guys, normally mega on price

www.techfever.co.uk

www.ebuyer.co.uk :) cheep + a damn good company :)

:yes:

...for cheapness... but they don't always do the best parts... but in all honesty the parts they do supply are more than good enough for everyone.

I use Aria, Overclockers and CPU City for my 'special' bits!

I use Aria Technology for PC bits when I wanna upgrade... never had problems with them or their stuff
^ ^ Me too ^ ^ :thumbsup:

overclockers have some very nice base systems...

but it looks like i'll end up spending a fortune to upgrade, so i might just find a bigger HDD...

I use CCL Online mostly these days but that's probably because they are nearby and I can drive there when I get the urge.

all of the above :lol: and microdirect :thumbsup:

I used to use Dabs, but Ive heard they were bought by the Dixons group....

Nah still safe to buy from Dabs. DSG lost out to BT by the looks of it :thumbsup:

Nah still safe to buy from Dabs. DSG lost out to BT by the looks of it :thumbsup:

Yeah cos of course being bought out by BT is better than being bought by Dixons :P I'll never use Dabs anyway as their returns policy is so incredibly poor. Seems to be argue with the customer over the phone for hours on end when somethings plainly dead on arrival in the hope they'll give up and not bother replacing it. Not for me thanks.

Aria or Ebuyer for me, depending on who's got what on special at the time :) Aria are within driving range which is handy if something goes bang and I need another one right away.

PCs these days seem plenty fast enough, don't feel the need to upgrade mine except for playing games either anymore. I'd just go with a bigger HDD unless there's something you actually need a new system for, otherwise you'll probably end up splashing a load of cash on new bits and find it doesn't run noticeably quicker day to dy.

Hunt around local computer fairs as well.

I get my stuff form overclockers, ebuyer, computer fair at National Motorcycle museum, or eclipse computers in Cov.

Not to be harsh but.... thinking every one is missing the point!!

Your happy with your current specs and just need more space -ye?

Buy yourself a SATAII drive, the sweet spot at the minute price\performance wise is about £40-50 for a 250\300Gb Drive.

Then all you need is a SATA Port. £5-7 it will cost you for a SATA PCI card, then when you upgrade all you do is chuck or even keep the £5 card but still get to take the drive with you better than wasting your money on an ide drive that will be legacy hardware in a year or two..... then just keep using what your using for now till you really need to upgrade the system as a whole!!

EDIT: Also... have to agree with dazwan as far as CCL goes too.. Quality customer service and competitive pricing!!!!

just a quick post to say that i use the Seagate External USB drives currently on sale at maplins, fast drives and seem reliable. Also really easy to take around a mates (or work :) ) and copy a load of stuff off quickly.