Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

hard to push accelerator Toyota Camry

quickcur

Hi everyone:

I have a Toyota Camry 99. Recently, I found sometimes it is hard to

push the accelerator after a stop. I have to use some force to push it

down a little bit, then it is ok to push more.

Anyone has the same experience?

Thanks,

qq

doesnt sound like cable cause its free after inital push, is it ablolutly fine after the frist push, if so its a build up in the throttle body, the butterfly gets a build up on the edges and 'glues' itself shut. 3 soluations, 1) small amount of copper greese on finger, disconect air piping and hold open to full throttle (engine off!) smear round the close posistion. cheat method, not recomended really but it will ease the problem, 2) get to same stage and very carlyfully remove the buttefly flap, being very careful not to drop the screws, then clean round the edge with a soft wire wheel, use a dremel type thingy to clean of inside of throttle body, bad cases and you will feel a lip. 3) sorry people but replace compleat throttle body, not cheap. This is not an uncomun windge. but to be honest its the older corrolas ect that we have had doing it. 60-80k roughly and a clean is needed.

• 7 months later...

I had this problem with my 94 camry 2.2,,,

the throttle plates were sticking in the throttle body..

I just took the air intake off and cleaned the butterfly with carb cleaner and a toothbrush.

cleared the problem right up

• 5 months later...

Hi,

My 97 Camry has the same problem. I find the Accel pedal is not as soft & responsive as it used to be. The sticky operation is after braking & trying push off & accelerate.

I sometimes get great Resistance from the Accelerator as though it's locked & you can't push it down.

Once the car is moving, the Accel is fine.

I checked the Accel cable, it's fine. Sprayed some WD40 anyway.

Will try cleaning the throttle plate as suggested.

Thanks guys..

• 4 weeks later...

I also had the same problem with my 98 CAMRY. Just wonder if BASCO16 already fixed the problem. Please share with us your experience and material you used. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I’ve got a ‘95 Celica with a 7A-FE, 1.8 liter engine, with 77,000 miles on it. Over time, the accelerator pedal started sticking, a little at first, and then enough to cause concern. Whenever I looked under the hood, it wouldn’t stick. Since this problem seemed to occur only after idling at a red light, or after a stop sign, I decided to look at it with the engine idling. Aha! It did only occur with the engine idling. I read the advice in this forum. I took apart the throttle body only enough to get to the engine side of the throttle plate. It was dark, with a carbon-like residue on it. Gumout alone did not cut it. I used Gumout and a little wire brush to clean it. It works fine now; I forgot how free the movement was supposed to be. Thanks for the great advice!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links