Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Abs Light

Nick_Simm

My ABS light came on as I was leaving the motorway last week and stayed on all the way home. I thought the braking was less effective when the light was on, though I may have imagined it. I checked the car a couple of times over the weekend by starting her up and waiting till all the other lights went out, but the ABS light was still on.

Thing is, when I was leaving on the sunday, I got 20 yards down the road and the light went out. The car's been behaving normally since (150 miles later). Is this a common event and is it something I should worry about?

Probably a mis reading sensor - as with all random error lights Id first try just resetting the ecu. If its a real issue it'll come back then you can make the trip to MrT. To reset I'd just disconnect the Battery for 10mins then reconnect.

ridding the ecu of abs errors is a totally different procedure . if the light went out itself it may of just been crap on the sensor itself or the toothed disc on the drive shaft that picks up the magnetic signals.

when my abs light came on my celica , my local mr.t hooked the car onto their diagnostics machine , gave me the full list of faults and possibilities and didn't charge me a thing.

My ABS light came on as I was leaving the motorway last week and stayed on all the way home. I thought the braking was less effective when the light was on, though I may have imagined it. I checked the car a couple of times over the weekend by starting her up and waiting till all the other lights went out, but the ABS light was still on.

Thing is, when I was leaving on the sunday, I got 20 yards down the road and the light went out. The car's been behaving normally since (150 miles later). Is this a common event and is it something I should worry about?

Nothing to worry about. Light probably came on due to spurious fault detected by the ABS ECU. The system think there was a fault and hence indicate the fault (and hence the light came on). The system will continue to monitor if the fault still present for x durations. If during this duration the system think the fault is no longer present, then light gooes out. (The ECU may still logged the fault, and be seen when interrogated test equipment).

When the ABS light comes on, the braking performance only affected when the wheels are locked, otherwise there will be no noticeable difference for the braking performance. Remember that the ABS modulator is no longer functional when the light comes on. [The purpose of the ABS is to prevent the wheels from locking when].

Hope this helps....

Thanks for the replies. I feel less worried now. I've got a service in 1500 miles anyway, so I'll mention it.

Cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links