Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 1999 Freetronic

yaris22

Hi,

I recently bought a 1999 Yaris Freetronic and it is really fun to drive, when I shift up in gears, my car is fine in changing them, however when I downshift, e.g. from 3rd to 2nd when decelerating from 25 to 15 mph the car jerks slightly. Is there any way I can stop this?

Thanks

slightly apply a bit of gas?

How is that possible? I have to remove my foot from the accelerator pedal to shift down. The happens as soon as I shift down. Its like when you let the clutch up too quickly on a manual.

Thanks for your help btw

I drive the MMT (sucessor to the Freetronic) and do not get this problem.

BEE is the only knowlegeable owner of a "Freetronic" Yaris on here.....................why not send a PM?

i had this problem, my dad has a freetronic which i drove

try changing down to 2nd between 10-15mph. at 20+, it seems to think 3rd is the best gear.

BEE is the only knowlegeable owner of a "Freetronic" Yaris on here.....................why not send a PM?

Thanks for the accolade, Red Yaris 54. I'm not you know. I'm still learning.

A PM from Yaris22 was received and a reply was duely posted. It was not particularly helpful in my view.

--

Bee.

can anyone post a photo of the freetronic interior hows d shift knob.....

never saw 1 :)

it is a normal manual gear stick, i assume the same as on the other models. just that there are only 2 pedals to use.

can anyone post a photo of the freetronic interior hows d shift knob.....

never saw 1 :)

it is a normal manual gear stick, i assume the same as on the other models. just that there are only 2 pedals to use.

Really? So is it the MMT that has an auto box with like a side part with a sequential style shift through the gears?

The MMT has a totally different selector to the standard Yaris gearlever.

The gearbox is a standard manual box but it has a sequential electronic selector system.

I have been singing their praises on these forums for two years now.....................they are getting more popular :thumbsup:

There are some pictures of my MMT posted on Ems (Demonic Angel) "Carlo Blue Crew" photos................................maybe she could give us a link? Thanks Em :blink:

• 8 months later...

I have a Yaris GLS 3dr 1.0 Freetronic, July 1999. I agree it has been easy to drive and we have had no problems with the car EXCEPT at 18,800 miles and just under 3 years old the clutch actuator went and for the first time in my 40 years of driving I needed to be towed to the garage. The actuator was replaced under warranty. At 54,250 miles and just under 8 years old my Yaris had to be towed into the garage again. The clutch actuator had to be replaced AGAIN, this time I had to pay, £1,394 ! It seems that Toyota no longer use Freetronic. The Toyota dealer tried hard to exchange my Freetronic Yaris for a new one with MMT.

I note the comments on this forum are have heard of the problems friends are having with MMT and in the light of my experiences with Freetronic I am inclined to go for old fashioned manual or automatic gear boxes in future.

Reviewing cars that we have owned I realise that the Yaris has been our most unreliable car, followed by a previous Toyota Space Cruiser! All servicing has been done at the dealers' workshop. Which? magazine gives the opposite opinion.

Best of luck if you have Freetronic, and also MMT - only time will tell if you made a wise choice.

Hi,

I recently bought a 1999 Yaris Freetronic and it is really fun to drive, when I shift up in gears, my car is fine in changing them, however when I downshift, e.g. from 3rd to 2nd when decelerating from 25 to 15 mph the car jerks slightly. Is there any way I can stop this?

Thanks

I have added some comments following my experiences with Freetronic Yaris (02/05/2007 lletob ).

I have found that it is best when changing gear in the Freetronic either up or down not to 'snatch' at the gear but to take a little time. When shifting down I let the car slow itself or if going down hill and wanting to slow or hold the car on the engine then brake to slow the car before changing to the lower gear. My wife tends to change very quickly and the car is then inclined to 'jump' a little. I am somewhat old and everything is slow with me anyway.

lletob, i agree with what your saying, a slower change does make it smoother, but it is still jerky even if you change at the optimum speed.

i also agree that were is no substitute for a fully manual or auto geabox

• 1 year later...
i had this problem, my dad has a freetronic which i drove

try changing down to 2nd between 10-15mph. at 20+, it seems to think 3rd is the best gear.

i am trying to get hold of a freetronic clutch actuator unit other than a toyota dealer, is there anybody else that can supply one at a more reasonable price?

• 8 months later...
lletob said:

I have a Yaris GLS 3dr 1.0 Freetronic, July 1999. I agree it has been easy to drive and we have had no problems with the car EXCEPT at 18,800 miles and just under 3 years old the clutch actuator went and for the first time in my 40 years of driving I needed to be towed to the garage. The actuator was replaced under warranty. At 54,250 miles and just under 8 years old my Yaris had to be towed into the garage again. The clutch actuator had to be replaced AGAIN, this time I had to pay, £1,394 ! It seems that Toyota no longer use Freetronic. The Toyota dealer tried hard to exchange my Freetronic Yaris for a new one with MMT.

I note the comments on this forum are have heard of the problems friends are having with MMT and in the light of my experiences with Freetronic I am inclined to go for old fashioned manual or automatic gear boxes in future.

Reviewing cars that we have owned I realise that the Yaris has been our most unreliable car, followed by a previous Toyota Space Cruiser! All servicing has been done at the dealers' workshop. Which? magazine gives the opposite opinion.

Best of luck if you have Freetronic, and also MMT - only time will tell if you made a wise choice.

I've got a Y2000 1.0 freetronic.

The clutch actuator was replaced at 37,400 miles (cost £137:40) and since then has been trouble free. I've got 164,000 miles on the clock now. You were (a) unlucky and (b) totally ripped off.

I've only had one set of brake disc and pad replacements and the car's still on its original exhaust and services belt.

To avoid the clutch being jerky when changing down I usually double de-clutch( blip the throttle with the selector in neutral). This works a treat.

• 8 months later...
Carole Heard said:
lletob said:

I've got a Y2000 1.0 freetronic.

The clutch actuator was replaced at 37,400 miles (cost £137:40) and since then has been trouble free. I've got 164,000 miles on the clock now. You were (a) unlucky and (B) totally ripped off.

I've only had one set of brake disc and pad replacements and the car's still on its original exhaust and services belt.

To avoid the clutch being jerky when changing down I usually double de-clutch( blip the throttle with the selector in neutral). This works a treat.

I have a problem with my free-tronic at the moment, the pump keeps sending fluid around the system more often than it should. apparently its a problem with the Pressure switch getting low voltage and causing a short circuit. I am going to get this investigated at the Toyota Garage but i was wondering whether Free-Tronic work can be done at a local garage rather than a dealership, i was also wondering where you got the actuator replaced for £137.40, i am guesing not at a dealership?

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Thanks

I too have yaris Freetronic with clutch actuator failure. Started with hydro/pump overrunning intermittantly then suddenly unable to change/select gear.Leaving the car to cool off (and me)

allowed me to limp home & to garage.Toyota garage diagnose clutch actuator failure (Replacement £1545.66) part only £1238.96 Net.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Is there any quick and easy fit to a toyota yaris when the warning light appears

the dashboard looks like this -

-[i-!

There are a few messages on the forum about the problems but no solutions - does anyone have any idea what the lights means and how you can either solve it or disable it so you can select gears

its a Toyota Yaris Free Tronic Model - Manual Gears with an automatic clutch ( Clutchless ) . Please Help Thanks

According to my Yaris owners manual (I have the earliest model Yaris when Freetronic was being made) the light you mantion is indeed the freetronic warning light, which can come on with a bleeper when you do something that the car doesnt like, such as try to change up too early or down too early, but the light will flash in these cases.

If it comes on continuously with no bleeper sound, then this indicates a fault on the Freetronic unit. Could be something simple like a low fluid level - they are prone to leaking fluid so I have read.

The Freetronic wasnt very reliable and not that popular, and was ditched for the MMT only a couple of years later.

I'd get a professional's opinion, but be prepared to have to Shell out big money, as the Freetronic transmission, if the fault is serious, will cost a fortune to replace - maybe even more than the car is worth.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice and help, hopefully it just low on fulid then, thanks again

• 2 months later...

To all who have the Free trnoic clucth . Few days ago I had a red alarm in the Panel. I took it to the Toyota Dealer ( Micheal Debono LTD ) Malta Zebbug Europe. They took me 49 Eruos to tell me what the alarm was. They told me that I have theb free tronic need to be replaced , the cost to replace it and install new one the estimate cost will be 1290 euros. I have only 12000miles ( KM 20771) . The fault name P1850 . I think there is a defect on this type of cluctch and the Toyota must pay for this type of fault. If we are together we can make a news about it. I will put it on the local news paper and then I will put it in th Utube if there will no replay from the Toyota mother company. I hope you all argee.

tahnks to all Yaris Free tronic forum which hav ethe same problem like me.

• 1 year later...

Hi every body . My freetronic light is on and off for the last couple of days .is that mean its gone already or it need to top up the fluid .which oil should i use and where to put it in the car .and shall i try to top it up 1st before i take it to a dealer .please help .thanks

• 10 years later...

Good day everyone!

I have a Toyota Yaris FreeTronic (it has a manual gearBox without Clutch Pedal ) the part that make the gear shifting and clutch change from 1 to 2 to 3 shifts is not working , the GearBox is now completely frozen not moving at all when I turn the car on. while when it is turned off GearBox is ok.

Can anyone please help me to know that part name or part number , is available in the market ??  any suggestions please.? 

On 10/24/2009 at 5:04 PM, philbrett said:

I too have yaris Freetronic with clutch actuator failure. Started with hydro/pump overrunning intermittantly then suddenly unable to change/select gear.Leaving the car to cool off (and me)

allowed me to limp home & to garage.Toyota garage diagnose clutch actuator failure (Replacement £1545.66) part only £1238.96 Net.

Hi , Could you please tell me the part number of the clutch actuator ? I live in Denmark and could not find this part in any place, not even in Amazon or eBay .....