Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Should I Get Rid Of My Wifes T Sport

bumshanky

I am at a cross roads and maybe some one could offer some advice?

my wife has a 2002 yaris t sport and she loves the all round visibility and high driving position from the seat,s and in general likes driving the car, but my warranty and my extended warranty have finished now and im nervous, and i am wondering just what i can expect in the future, its only got 37,000 miles on it but what a pile of pooh pooh its been!! i bought a toyota for there amazing build quality but look at this for a list of howlers since i have had it.

2 sets of alloys as the coating on the original alloys supplied with the car cant take the british weather and salt on the roads( qoute from toyota dealer) i have a german set on now from the toyota accesories catologue.

2 new front headlight clusters as the others leaked.

kept blowing fuses, traced to wiring harness rubbing on the chassis.

window trims fell out when leccy windows went up or down.

new rear wheel bearings as booming noise in car was almost 90dcbells when driving on motorway

all front carpets removed and trimmed as they stopped clutch from being depressed properly

new driver seat belt as other one would not retract.

so i suppose what i am asking is there anyone out there with more than 37,000 miles on and what can i expect to cost me money in the future?

thanks for your time

well ive got 72k on mine at the moment and not had a single problem. i think it just a case of bad luck.

I've got a 2002 and I've not had any problems, well not any that weren't caused by me.

On a side note, did anyone else read the initial visible bit of title and think the thread was entitled "Should I sell my Wife" :D

get it HPi'd ive only heard about the wheels problem ive had 4 yaris, with no leakey lamps, dodgy rubber, or dodgy wiring (unless it was me)

You've been very, very unlucky by the looks of it (apart from the alloys - thet's a really common problem). Did you buy it new or is there the possibility it was crashed and poorly repaired?

Oh, by the way, the title of the thread reads "Should I get rid of my wife..." in some of the summaries - wondered why it was in the Yaris bit :D

Sorry, that wasn't much help, but good luck with your decision :thumbsup:

A

edit: darn, got distracted whilst writing the post and beaten to it...

TBH, you've siad they have all gone wrong, but you've had them replaced under warranty.

Anything to go wrong now, is surely going to be wear and tear in future.

Mines done the same sort of mileage and only things I've had done are a VVT-i controller this was because Toyota requested a batch back, and working at the dealer my car got roped in. The water pump was weeping slightly but again was sorted.

The wheels can easily be sorted by getting a professional refurb on them or purchasing different wheels.

If you think that you've had problems try driving a Fiat, Renault or some other cheap equivelant.

when you look at the box for the Tsport section in the yaris forum, this thread reads as "Should I Get Rid Of My Wife" lol

dont let her see that mate :P

Ive had my 2001 from 7k and is nearly on 110k now - not a single serious mechanical fault.

The wheels were replaced under warranty, but thats it. Its still on the same Battery, clutch, radiator etc ... and touch wood everythings fine.

Bad luck I guess?

TBH, you've siad they have all gone wrong, but you've had them replaced under warranty.

Anything to go wrong now, is surely going to be wear and tear in future.

Mines done the same sort of mileage and only things I've had done are a VVT-i controller this was because Toyota requested a batch back, and working at the dealer my car got roped in. The water pump was weeping slightly but again was sorted.

The wheels can easily be sorted by getting a professional refurb on them or purchasing different wheels.

If you think that you've had problems try driving a Fiat, Renault or some other cheap equivelant.

yep the car was new, ive got new german made wheels under the warranty from the accesories catalogue so thats sorted, but look at all the other cars out there whose alloys last as long as the car not 2 years then refurb

i agree some items could be wear and tear but, i was reading the past topics on this t sport section and people are talking about replacing gearboxes and other major items, i bought a toyota so i dont have to keep going to the garage and replacing bits, so is everybody ignoring the fact that they are replacing items and iit s just part and parcel of owning a toyota, if so im saying please let me know what i can expect and start saving up.

on the last point my son has a 2001 renault clio 1.5 diesel with 90,000 on the clock and it still aint been to the dealers as many times as my toy motor?????

TBH, the gearbox isn't too bad, there has been the odd instance of some going to have gearbox bearings replaced but commonly its the 2nd gear synchro, and unless your wife has a rather enthusiastic gearchange, then your car should have no problems.

Think you've just got unlucky... mass-production's a b*tch.

This forum has around 28,000 members, so it's a natural place for Toyota owners to ask for advice... over the 4 years it's been running there have been very few reports of problems... look in any magazine, the Yaris tops the table for super-mini reliability. According to the Reliability Index... overall of all the cars listed, it's in 4.46th place. With only transmission and electrical faults being a reportable problem and average repair costs being only £86.

Compare this to say, your Renault:

Position is 71.83, with every category of fault being listed and an average repair cost of £275!

So you see, you got lucky with an unluck and unlucky with a lucky.

Oh, by the way, the title of the thread reads "Should I get rid of my wife..." in some of the summaries - wondered why it was in the Yaris bit :D

Yeah I saw that too, did make me smile :)

Sounds like you've been unlucky with it, our T-S is on over 60,000 Miles and is an 02 and there hasnt been any problems with it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links