Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Yaris D4d 48h Test Drive

jay dh

Yesterday i took delivery of a new yaris in blue yesterday evening. i have it until saturday evening. it is a d4d with the optional alloys, spoiler and leather interior.

first impressions, noisy engine but refined otherwise.

i may regret asking this, but does anyone want me to carry out a test on the car (wihtin reason). finding out economy, handling, dash layout etc etc

if you do, let me know and i will try it (please make them fun).

Jay

Economy would be a good test, considering some new D4D owners are unhappy with the mpg of their Yaris... although any test like that wont be comprehensive as it'll be a new car, therefore not run in anyway.... but it might be interesting to see, none the less

But I bet you have a mileage limit though dont you?

mpg wasnt the best example but there are other things

it goes round roundabouts quite well at 30

not much go below 2,000rpm

He's borrowing the car from Toyota - its not his to keep and fit stuff to! :lol::lol:

Whats the leather interior like Jay? Full leather (front & back) or just front leather seats? Is it good quality?

do you find its quite noisy?

That's an identical spec to the one I had a wee shot of a few months ago. Not a spec I would choose tbh - the leather was more pachyderm than calfskin...

Remember with both economy and speed tests that the engine won't be even reasonably well run in for a good few thousand miles yet...

A

Get a tuning box fitted, my D4D pulls like a train from just off tickover.

im handing this one back saturday eve, thankfully. (i like the car, but its no mk1 t sport)

He's borrowing the car from Toyota - its not his to keep and fit stuff to! :lol::lol:

Whats the leather interior like Jay? Full leather (front & back) or just front leather seats? Is it good quality?

why do you have such a large sig area?

the leather feels nice on my ****. (with jeans between obviously). it is comfy and almost the same quality as the avensis leather. plus i love the smell of new leather.

it is the front and rear seats plus steering wheel and gear knob gaitor (not sure about door cards - need to check). the seats are not as supportive as the t sport seats hence im not that keen on them in that perspective.

do you find its quite noisy?

That's an identical spec to the one I had a wee shot of a few months ago. Not a spec I would choose tbh - the leather was more pachyderm than calfskin...

Remember with both economy and speed tests that the engine won't be even reasonably well run in for a good few thousand miles yet...

A

it is noiser than i thought. my uncle has a mk1 phase 2 d4d which (except on start up and idle when cold only) i forgot was a diesel. this i am reminded of even when the car has been driven for 15/20mins (only driven it for 20mins max so far at a time). this i am not impressed that, i expected better from toyota but i still have time left for a final decision.

the leather comment, i have spoken of above.

it has 1,650 miles on it so far, so its had its fair few journeys although i agree not fully run in.

it is noiser than i thought. my uncle has a mk1 phase 2 d4d which (except on start up and idle when cold only) i forgot was a diesel. this i am reminded of even when the car has been driven for 15/20mins (only driven it for 20mins max so far at a time). this i am not impressed that, i expected better from toyota but i still have time left for a final decision.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. In fact, the dealer had let me have a shot of it purely to confirm his thoughts that it was noisier the old one...

:thumbsup:

A

Ride quality especially over speed humps and holes in the road would be of interest to me. I can't stand a crashy ride around town.

Thanks

Ride quality especially over speed humps and holes in the road would be of interest to me. I can't stand a crashy ride around town.

Thanks

the T3 model i have has the optional alloys, i assume the tyres are the same as standard.

they are 185/60/r15. as i have the t sport (which has lower profile and wider tyres) i dont know what the mk1 tyres are but the thickness of these tyres are solid. they are narrowish at 185 but its no sport model so doesnt need to be wide. due to this thick tyre wall you dont really feel the bumps or holes and speed bumps are obviously noticable but not spine shattering. it is more than adequate

Does it have Bridgestone tyres fitted?..................if not what make are the tyres?

i can confirm there are no leather door cards as there are no door cards full stop, all plastic, not a preference in a car i have to say.

Does it have Bridgestone tyres fitted?..................if not what make are the tyres?

i will check the make of tyres later

Any answers yet.............................or have you run off with the new Yaris? :D

appologies for a slow synopsis, i was out of work yesterday

below is the car i tested.

DSC00779.jpg

DSC00780a.jpg

DSC00781.jpg

DSC00783.jpg

so, the result

Good

• Smooth gearbox

• D4D engine (performance over 2k rpm)

• One touch drivers window up and down

• Mp3 player

• 6 speaker sound system (T3 model)

• Leather

• Slant rear seats for back

• Feeling of space (more than mk1)

• Smooth drive

• More solid built quality

• More cubby holes than the mk1

• Driving position

• Rear view mirror does not intrude field vision

Bad

• Front seats back adjuster is not strength sensitive, you have to use your hand to move position

• Front headrests are not tilt adjustable

• D4D engine (noisy)

• Cant slide rear seat like mk1 (if you can its broken on the car I have)

• Cutsie/odd shape (can be fixed with a subtle bodykit)

• No door cards (nice to feel material all around you, not metal and plastic)

• Dodgy petrol gauge (said tank was empty when I filled up)

• Boot floor is raised to have cubby holes underneath. It has been raised to tailgate level and stuff could fall out when the boot is opened.

• No ‘new’ features

• Wing mirrors are too big

the car (T3)

good spec level, nice to drive, but bad points outway the good.

would i buy a yaris d4d?

no way, too noisy and too pricey for what it is.

would i buy a petrol yaris?

1.0 is far too slow (driven it before). 1.3, i reserve judgement on as i havent driven it, but it would still be too pricey.

Cant slide rear seat like mk1 (if you can its broken on the car I have)

Must have been broken - there's a great system for shoogling the seats about

A

Cant slide rear seat like mk1 (if you can its broken on the car I have)

Must have been broken - there's a great system for shoogling the seats about

A

TBF, the car probably has had a hard life so far, cheers for the heads up