Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Trd Shortshifter

armoredfist2002

Been looking for a shortshifter for the yaris but before I buy one just wondering how easy of hard are they to fit.

Prefer to get a proper one than cut standard gearstick down

thanks

Have got the TRD one on mine, about 20 minutes to fit -five of that was spent trying to find the bolt that holds the centre console on when refitting as it had disappeared.

It doesn’t lower the height of the shifter by much. The throw between gears is definitely reduced but not by as much as I thought it might have been compared to other cars I’ve had with them fitted.

I would definitely recommend it though, it feels like the gear stick is now connected directly to the gear box and the wobbly jelly inbetween feeling has gone from the standard setup.

If you decide to use the original gear knob as I did or just want to keep the collar between the gaiter and the knob you will have to drill the collar out by a couple of mm but its only soft plastic so this isn’t a problem.

Hope that’s of some use……

I have an adjustable Perrin one - took about 45mins to fit. Its on the middle setting at the minute and is really nice and notchy.

Kates MR2 has the TRD shortshifter and its even notchier if anything

What adjustment is there on the perrin one? do you mean height wise or some thing else?

The TRD on the Yaris is notchy -but in a good way!

cut 2 inces off it + get a gear knob with a grub screw on it. its no different except about £100 cheeper. dont waste your money :)

cut 2 inces off it + get a gear knob with a grub screw on it. its no different except about £100 cheeper. dont waste your money :)

Thats not a shortshifter................

I would do that but my gearstick feels a bit tight and it's a bit stiff to change gear so I thought the shortshifter would get rid of it.

Where can you get the perrin one from and how much.

thanks

of course it is matt???? there's no difference at all.just lower down and gears are then closer because of the tighter angle.

of course it is matt???? there's no difference at all.just lower down and gears are then closer because of the tighter angle.

Na, you can get them so the gearstick itself doesn't actually move so far. They can then also be shortened to reduce the throw further (as you explained earpl).

all the yaris one's are is a shorter stick. they have to move the same as a standard one at the bottom because the cables still need to move the same distance.

You absolutely sure? i could have sworn some use some kinda of method (levers?) to make the movement you do shorter but still the same below obviously! If not why hasn't someone made one?! :P

You absolutely sure? i could have sworn some use some kinda of method (levers?) to make the movement you do shorter but still the same below obviously! If not why hasn't someone made one?! :P

what you just explained IS a short shifter :lol: right..... a shifter is a leaver, for a short shifter to work all it does is shorten the lenght between the tip of the shifter and the pivot point, where the length between the cable and pivot point stays the same. as shown here;

shiftmovehb6.jpg

and here's the short shifters available for the yaris.

B&M shifter;

bmvi3.jpg

as said same as standard but shorter beween the ball joint + tip.

TRD shifter.

trdoy5.jpg

same as before, so it fits in the standard cradle.

Perrin shifter;

perrinas9.jpg

only difference with this one is it adjusts through the ball joint so it can go to standard length.

pics of the standard yaris shifter;

dsc00094zm9.jpg

dsc00095ra3.jpg

but at the end of the day even if the bottom bit changes length, it doesnt matter caus ethe cables still need to move the same length to move the shift arms on the gear box, which is only about an inch.

pic of how this works bellow, a bit confusing to explain without showing you on the box.

boxdn3.jpg

confusing but i hope it helps

My goodness, a comprehensive and detailed, genuinely helpful post from Earpl!

:D :lol:

Not entirely sure why y'd want a short shifter on the Yaris. It's got a fairly decent shift action as-is, I think :)

I think the only sloppy control in the Yaris is the 3+ turns lock-to-lock steering is rather lame.. the rest are nice, especially the clutch - its like a little button :D

I maybe biased though, my previous car was 2.6 turns lock to lock - it was very responsive and sporty feeling :)

Nice post earpl :)

Its just i thought the lenth between the "ball" and the tip was increased so the action on top was bigger at the bottom with less movement.

When my mate with his civic fitted his. The length at the bottom before the ball was longer, but the shifter itsself was the same as standard.

Appaarantly not so in the yaris :)

yeah like the adjustable perrin one matt. but on the yaris there is not much room for it to be longer on the bottom. god knows what its like on the civic?

What about installing a VOODOO shift knob on the Yaris? I install VOODOOS on alot of my cars and although not a true S/Throw it significantly reduces throws and installs in less than 30 seconds

yeah like the adjustable perrin one matt. but on the yaris there is not much room for it to be longer on the bottom. god knows what its like on the civic?

the civic one is awesome, and it was like 3cm longer from the ball to the tip, the overall length was the same! so its just as high, but really short throws, !Removed! awesome i tell ya :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links