Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Roll Bar Brushes

scubydoo

Had my MOT done yesterday.

My car is a W reg and its done about 35,000 miles. It has never needed any work doing to it (don't you just love Yaris'?), and it passed its MOT fine but one of the advisory things was to get the anti-rol bar brushes replaced. Now I am going to uni in September so I have no cash to spare. As it was only advisory I decided not to get the work done, but now I am a little worried that I made the wrong decision. Although I am presuming that it cannot be that unsafe as if it was it would have failed its MOT.

Is this work urgent, what will happen if I don't get it done, and most importantly anyone know how much it would cost?

P.S I'm new so hi :)

is the the ends of the roll bar that link to the wishbone? or is it the bushes that are on the top of the roll bar which mount it to the subframe?

TRD have all the Bushes for the yaris it just depends what one you need the could cost about £20 each and you would need 2.

Kevin at Envy would be able to get you them.

I cant see on the list of the TRD bushes what ones would be the tie ends, cus you would need 4 of those bushes, but they would be able to be replaced with some universal bushes, you just need the right size.

My bushes were starting to split so I got them replaced! If they are wearing away then it just makes your car handle even worse than it does as standard but I'd get them replaced as soon as you have the money! :thumbsup:

Yaris WRC : Your post reads like a foreign language to me :D I asked the mechanic what would happen if I didnt get them done, he was bit vague but muttered something about it making a noise when I go over bumps etc? Does this narrow it down?

Ryan: Assuming I have the same problem how much did it cost you?

Im guessing that your mechanic is talking about the lower bushes as these are most likely to fail (especially if you live in a bumpy-roaded area!) They are small rubber bits that sit between the suspension components and can often crack or deteriorate (they are rubber after all!) It usually doesn't happen until around 50k miles, but that's dependent on the condition ofyour car (wheels, tyres etc) and the quality of the roads that you drive upon (speed humps are a nightmare for bushes!)

The problems you'll face are a 'thudding' sound over bumps and the handling may feel a little 'loose'. It's not one of those 'do it now or die' jobs, but i'd recommend getting it done asap before anything else breaks due to the stress of the suspension not functioning correctly.

The parts themselves aren't that expensive... a matter of pence for the individual bushes, but, there are quite a few of them and the labour required naturally costs money. Average cost i'd guess would be £150. Anymore is pushing it.

they are pretty crap quality to say the least

as seveer says... expect a 'knock' or 'bump' noise if they do go

its not a hard job to replace them to be honest.... you just need to get the front of the car to a reasonable height off the floor and then easy access from the rear of the subframe

im sure the bushes are about 5-7 quid a piece

I can't remember how much they charged me to change them, I'll dig out the price for you tomorrow! :thumbsup:

I got it done at Toyota as my local mechanic wanted to change loads of other bits too?! :wacko:

well my rear ones have just busted on me on my drive down to eastborne, they have done 73k miles and 6 of them were on coilovers which i think is the reason why they have finally died. so i need to get some stronger ones. the rear ones are easy to do as well. u dont even need to jack the rear of the car up

you dont need stronger ones, by lowering the car you put strain on the bushes, the way to get around this is to lower the car, loosen all the suspention (so the bushes can settle in their natural position) then tighten them back up ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links