Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Marley & Me

Fidgits

Okay, let me start this by saying my normal choice of reading is something by Chris Ryan, Lee Child or Terry Pratchett.

I like a good, easy to read ficton novel - infact, I hate non-ficton, whether its 7 years of reading technical textbooks or just this whole 'ok' culture that puts me off autobiographies and the like I dont know.

So, I was quite surprised when i bought Marley & me on a whim - I admit to being suckered in with the picture of a lab puppy on the cover, but considering the tag line was 'life and love with the worlds worse dog' I put it back, thinking I didnt really care to read about someone else life - even if he did have a cute dog.

Minutes later I owned it - and finished it last night. I actually sat up until about 1am last night, being unable to put it down.

Now, while this book probably is focused at dog owners, that could emphatise, thinking my dog did that, or the person that likes reading about other peoples lives (like OK), which, never owning anything larger than a hamster in my entire life, and personally not giving two shakes of a stick about the life some american journalist, I most certainly was not the target audience.

Well - I loved it. I really did, John Grogan is an excellent writer - the story is very interesting and captivating, very heartwarming, and so very funny. I laughed out loud in several places, and you do feel like he takes you on a journey through his life, focused on the dog of course.

I wouldnt know who to reccomend this book to - well, my missues is one - but if someone had told me about it I would've said 'thats so not my sort of book', and yet I really enjoyed it, and would put this in the pile of my favoriate books I've read in the last few years...

I think people will appreciate it even more if they have owned Labradors!

Still the title annoys me....

• 2 weeks later...

I just had to comment, as I took Ians advice and have just put this book down after reading it over the weekend...

And its marvellous.... I can't remember the last book I laughed at and cried at as much as this - truly wonderful read. Thanks for recommending it Ian :thumbsup:

Our black lab Kim died in 1998 and she was an amazing dog, not as mental as Marley but I can relate to the big thudding tail and being pulled along the road :lol: And how petrified I was, as a five-year-old getting this puppy and having to climb on the table because I was afraid I'd get bitten, but she was so big and so soft - people were afraid of her as well, but she was soft as anything.

And I remember the day she died and remembered I hadnt thought of her for a long time. Marleys memories made my memories of Kim come alive again.

Even if you've never had a dog, you'll still appreciate the book and it really is well worth a read! :thumbsup:

i'll wait for the dvd

Same here dude ;) Its too much work reading :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links