Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Drum To Disc Conversion Anyone?

barebonedvitz

hi everyone! :D

just inquiring if anyone has done a drum to disc conversion on their yaris? if so, how much would it cost for the whole conversion? any DIY info? would love to hear from you peeps! thanx!

I seem to remember Blaze getting the conversion done on her Yaris. She hasn't got it anymore, but if you do a search under her name, you may find some help. :thumbsup:

To be honest - its a waste of money...

unless you've gone an installed a 3s-GTE in the front of your Yaris, your not going to ever have the power to require upgrading the rear brakes.

as you probably know, at least 75% of the braking force is exterted by the front - so if you want to improve braking capability, look at fitting some upgraded discs or pads.

The moment you start messing with the rears, you will need to ensure you maintain the proper braking balance - or you'll have a car that will spin you under heavy braking, and that'll mean upgrading the fronts to the same % increase as putting discs on the rear...

very expensive exercise, and as i said, unless you've got a serious amount of power you really dont need it.

...or you drive on tracks and Scottish hill roads ;) The back brakes keep getting cooked as they're not cooled properly.

Anyhow, I'm only looking into it right now.

:D

A

The conversion of rear drums to discs would require a rear Tsport axle. You may aswell just uprate the fronts as said and look into getting bigger discs on the front, ie Tsport discs. I have read all you need to change to uprate the disc size is the outside of the caliper of a Tsport and then the discs. This makes it pretty cheap but not sure if the clamping force itself is uprated or if it's just the surface area in contact with the disc.

Fensport will sell you the tarox upgrade full conversion kit from rear drums to 6 Pot discs but this is only useful if the fronts are heavily upgraded and also costs £1149 so is a very big investment (just buy a Tsport :P)

If you get cold air feeds to the rear brakes this would improve the braking performance as they wouldn't overheat so much. The fronts can just be uprated rather than upgraded/change size. You will notice a front upgrade much more than a rear upgrade (due to the bias on braking) so just buy stainless lines, uprated brake fluid, vented discs and uprated pads and then also add cooling if you're that concerned. Tbh that will give you much more than adequate braking specially for just a 1.3!

Or you can all see that he has a 2007 Yaris and lives in california :rolleyes:

Your best bet at the moment mate is to look into finding a rear axle from an RS in Japan and importing it into the states. I don't know how this would affect you with the laws in California though. Or you could find someone out there that will take on the task of doing a 'custom' swap.

Or you can all see that he has a 2007 Yaris and lives in california :rolleyes:

Your best bet at the moment mate is to look into finding a rear axle from an RS in Japan and importing it into the states. I don't know how this would affect you with the laws in California though. Or you could find someone out there that will take on the task of doing a 'custom' swap.

I have a funny feeling Woody was talking to me (la la la la, my fingers are in my ears btw...), but barebonedvitz should find that there have been drum-to-disc changes done on the Echo on the echofans site. I just can't find then right now or I would give you a direct link.

Basically, if its too complex then I'm not going to do it. There may be issues with the French/Jap thing (mountings, handbrake system), with the EBD system and "just generally".

:thumbsup:

A

Yeah i meant alan obviously :P Well i'm sure most of mine still applies :P But yeah alan how come you ain't bought a Tsport yet? MPG? Admitedly atleast it's a bit different :)

Admitedly atleast it's a bit different :)

Thank you Woody - I'm glad someone "gets" it. Any T-Sport I get will be a Mk2. There were 2 reasons for the diesel originally - economy (at the time Iwas doing "mega" miles, now I'm only on "high") and torque for overtaking on the A9. I couldn't afford a T-Sport then either...

No Ross, not for the new one, but somebody has to be the first and, well, there should be folk around who can point out the pitfalls from a US/North American perspective (Wraith and folk).

:thumbsup:

A

as you probably know, at least 75% of the braking force is exterted by the front -

But only when you are driving forward!

How fast can you go in reverse??!!

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

LOL voice of reason! hehehe

:D :thumbsup:

thanx for all the replies lady and gents!

just the noob that i am in the Yaris world, for i am i converted Honda fan (and about damn time i listened to my family LoL), the US Yaris only comes in the 1nz-fe engine in 2 different models.. and the sedan model has 2 trims as u all know.

i'm not too sure, but u guys think the US hatch (with all the options and trd stuff) is like a TS.. or half of a vitz (w/o the rear discs)? :huh: If ever, u peeps got a site where i can compare the RS, TSport and US specs? if ya'll can please provide it, that'll be reallly helpful.. so i can catch up on what the differences are.

Ross: yah, i guess that's a good idea, im off to japan sometime next year to visit family, we'LL see what happens with that rear axle assy idea.

woody: can i see some info on the cold air feeds to the rear please? sounds like a great idea! :thumbsup:

as my nick implies..my yaris is so boned, i didn't even bother gettin a stereo! bwahha! the only thing powered is the EPS. so i think i got some huge weight savings when i bought this car, since it didnt have any of the other optional equipment... in which i wanted, that way, it's got less eye candy for theives to look at... the only upgrade i've done so far is 15x7 Rota slipstreams. So far.. so good!

Thank you once again peeps for taking time to offer me ur inputs! for now, i think i'LL stick to upgrading the fronts since it's only 106hp.

Very wise, in my opinion. :yes:

To be honest - its a waste of money...

unless you've gone an installed a 3s-GTE in the front of your Yaris, your not going to ever have the power to require upgrading the rear brakes.

as you probably know, at least 75% of the braking force is exterted by the front - so if you want to improve braking capability, look at fitting some upgraded discs or pads.

The moment you start messing with the rears, you will need to ensure you maintain the proper braking balance - or you'll have a car that will spin you under heavy braking, and that'll mean upgrading the fronts to the same % increase as putting discs on the rear...

very expensive exercise, and as i said, unless you've got a serious amount of power you really dont need it.

What he said. :thumbsup:

actually, imma have to wait a little bit till i can do an engine swap on my yaris. According to California law, engines swaps can only happen if the engine is newer or the same year as the car it's going into... Lucky for u guys, uve had the yaris a few years now. 3sgte isn't a bad idea at all! i'd luv that in my car.if ever, i do wish i can score on the new 1.8 engine tho! that'LL be sick. But i guess patience is the word of the ... uh.... year?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links