Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I've Seen A Laptop I Like....

Demonic Angel

Linky

Does anyone know of any websites (not PC World, Currys or Dixons!) where I can buy this laptop plus change some of the bits around??

I know Dell do customisable laptops, but obviously this is a Sony Vaio so not chance of getting it from Dell! :lol:

I just want XP Professional instead of Home and Office 2003 chucked in as well....

Or if anyone can suggest any alternative laptops - I've found that one for £699 which is about what I want to spend... :thumbsup:

FFS Em!

I thought you were after a 'cheap' laptop - a Vaio is 25% more expensive for the name!!!!

Your better off getting a non branded, generic laptop for what your after!

If you'd have replied to my email earlier Ian, you'd know the whole plan!! :P

Cheapo yet good running lappy from eBay for me to doss on, this new laptop will be my new day to day computer and my folks are having this one... I'm not going to mess around with a brand new laptop - do you think I'm a total nutter??? :lol:

Does anyone know of any websites (not PC World, Currys or Dixons!) where I can buy this laptop plus change some of the bits around??

I have a Vaio laptop from work, pcg-k215m, but I don't use it because the screen is on the blink. It isn't very old, either.

I don't think I would really recommend it to anybody. Compare that to my old T600 Thinkpad which is still as solid as the day it was bought :thumbsup:

Paul.

Got a laptop from Dell for £400, 15.4" Screen, enough for internet, wireless, word processing and the basic stuff. Its pretty fast too. Had it a month or so.

That is very true! It is indeed my money ;)

Do you have any other suggestions that would not waste my money then Ian? Or are you just going to sit there and critique?

I already did - just get a non-branded, generic laptop from the likes of Dabs/Ebuyer etc...

at the end of the day - they all use the same internal components...

I already did - just get a non-branded, generic laptop from the likes of Dabs/Ebuyer etc...

at the end of the day - they all use the same internal components...

good advice! :) Sony make 'pretty' computers and laptops.... not good ones

id recommend Advent over anything, theyre solid and use all the best components (Samsung drives etc....) my laptop is pushing 6 years old now (Advent) ok its 1gig P3 with a 20g hardrive and not much in the way of memory, but works perfect in moderation, browses the net nicely and i use it with the car with the electronic repair manual, engine diagnosis etc.... its fell over and bounced on the floor a few times and still ticks over happily :)

We bought my gran a Novotech (I think) lappy a lil while back.. and put software on ourselves... its a fantastic piece of kit... im jealous :P

I've got a Sony Vaio desktop and I think it's great. It is pretty but it works well too! B)

I'm on a Dell just now though and I'd recommend them to anyone! :thumbsup:

well whats wrong with vaio?????

this one i am using was a replacement for my HP that died a death( motherboard kept blowing up 3 times infact) so they replaced it with this VAIO, so far no complaints, 17 inch screen wireless 100gb hard drive 1 gb sdram intel duo nvidia geforce 7400. widows xp media addition built in web cam sd slots etc etc etc

what more could a online gamer ask for

mined you my HP was 3 years old and a good laptop

my only advice is take out the extended warranty then when they go in 3-4 years they replace them frrrrreeeeeeee

cost for warranty 300 ish with my old laptop

3 motherboards 1800 ish (under warranty cost nothing)

replacement laptop after being deemed beyiond eco repair 1300 (under warranty cost nothing)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I must admit my Vaio has been spot on!!!!! I bought it from Ebuyer, saving £400 on the pc world price! (30%!)

The worst laptop I ever had by fer was a fu****su siemens one, avoid them like the plague!

I was really impressed with the Packard Bell one I got about 2 months ago. Cost me about £560 I think.

It's got 17" Widescreen, 1GB RAM AMD 64bit Processor, DVD ReWriter etc. Also lasts well on the batteries.

Had a Sony before - It's lasted well and is still used for interent, but it was overpriced and under specced.

I'd get a IBM T-Series - yes, they are ugly but as said before the build quality is top notch.

Not keen on Dell's - we had 10 at work under a year ago and the backlights have died on 3 of them.

Toshiba Eqiuum (sp) - £500 from the egregious PC World about 4 months ago. Mega multi combo drive, integral card reader, 2Gb RAM, 60 Gb HD, Super Black widescreen, integrated wireless. Battery that won't blow up the house... ;)

A

Getting confusing, isn't it, Em? I do know what you mean by the Vaio range. I was looking at laptops in Dixons a while ago and the once that really struck me was a top model Vaio. Top price though too! (getting into Macbook Pro territory).

I've had two Acers. I killed the hard drive on one but stepping on any of them isn't recommended. :rolleyes: The first one (that died after the attack of the 14 stone idiot :P ) also had some build issues but it did get a lot of use and abuse.

The Acer I've got now is working very well and so I'd recommend it.

I've also got a new Toshiba laptop. Pretty nice, though I've not had it long enough to upset it!

Glad you mentioned Acer Al as I've also spotted this at Dabs and its also tickled my fancy....

I guess it all boils down to that I've always trusted the Sony brand and I'm not sure about Acer, but it is cheaper than the Sony and I do understand you only pay for the Sony name really... but our MD has a Vaio and it really is a stunning bit of kit....

One thing about the Acer though, is that has XP Professional, which is what I want.... so I'm kinda swaying towards it with that... I just need to pick up a copy of Office 2003 now... but £300 for it - is there no where you can get it cheaper than that? (legally of course!)

seeing as you are wanting to learn for your MSCA (I can never get those letters the right way round! :P)

perhaps you could try and wangle a 'student license' copy? they can be cheaper...

else... I know where you can get one for next to nowt.. but it wont be kocha ya know ;)

Yeah student version is £70, much more respectable a cost.... but I think you have to be in full time education to qualify.... so I doubt I will...

lol and I start my studies tonight actually ;)

overpriced and under specced.

Sums up most Sony electricals pretty well I think :) Most of them are pretty too and reliability in my experience is average at best...

This looks a decent buy from Ebuyer.. Core Duo processor should be faster than the Pentium M, 1 Gb RAM, real graphics card that doesn't steal its memory from your system RAM, 80Gb hard disk and Windows XP Pro... Still under £700 too.

As you're buying computer hardware, you can get the OEM versions of Office instead of the standard one, they're a lot cheaper :) Still not exactly cheap though :P

After thinking I'd found the one with the Acer, I showed Ryan and he said he thinks Acers are awful!

The thing is, no matter what you suggest, people always say they're bad for whatever reason..... :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links