Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Would You Teach A Younger Sibling To Drive?

Demonic Angel

My sister turned 17 in June and she's on about getting her provisional licence - finally, I dont have to be her taxi service anymore! :lol:

She asked if I would teach her to drive :eek: I said I would, so long as she has a few lessons with a proper instructor in a dual-control car first so she gets used to the way a car works and the basic controls.... but I'm a bit nervous about it, obviously she'll be on my insurance and I dont fancy losing my 3 years no claims (especially considering how hard I've worked to keep it!) if she crashes it!

Would anyone else teach their 17 year old sister (or any younger sibling/friend/family member) to drive - or am I just a total nutcase?

I was thinking of saying to her that she can practice in my car but she must use a proper instructor for her lessons, as I dont want her picking up my bad habits, which she'll no doubt fail on - I think thats fair, but still I think I'm a glutton for punishment!

And when she passes, she says she wants my car off me... :lol:

She doesnt want much.... :lol:

Difficult one this :blink:

My advice would be not to teach her, for as you have said she WILL pick up any bad habits that you have.

(Parking, Shouting at other drivers etc................................ :shutit: Runs and hides ;) )

I think that some driving insructors would rather that close family do not teach driving......................(I am sure that our driving instructor member on here will have a view on that)

I decided not to teach my sons and so far one has his licence and the other one has not wanted to drive.

Ultimately it must be your decision Em but as said you have worked very hard for your no-claims bonus.

Can she really afford the cost of learning?

My Brother is currently learning to drive, but I was fairly lucky in that I have only just been driving for three years so I couldn't teach him originally.

However, he did hint towards it and my Dad keeps saying I could take him out but I've said no. That's not out of being horrible but I just don't think I'd be a good supervisor and he's so far along in his lessons, I wouldn't want to pass on any bad habits that could go against him in his test.

Sometimes, unless you have the patience of a saint, I think it's best left to the professionals - but fair play to you Em - I don't envy you! :P :thumbsup:

Think i might teach them the basics

as in what the pedals are and clutch control ;)

let them learn how to pull away on an empty industrial estate but thats about it.

then they can take proper lesson's.

I would.. I taught my wife.

However, my veiw is that yes, you can teach them to drive a car.. but can you teach them how to pass a test?.. that's a different story, all you can do is what Kimi said..

Think i might teach them the basics

as in what the pedals are and clutch control ;)

let them learn how to pull away on an empty industrial estate but thats about it.

then they can take proper lesson's.

...maybe extending it to some of the quieter streets to get her confidence up.. but to pass the test is has to be an instructor, worked for me and my wife, and the instructor was happy that she allready knew how to make the car go.

My sister is learning to drive at the minute.... and as part of my breakdown cover anyone can drive my car with my consent <nice little loophole :) > but anywho... my parents want me to let her drive mine...... I considered it but then she kurbed my mum's wheels.... and considering mine cost about £700 she can :censor: right off.... no no no no and big no :)

My dad taught me - passed first time.

Ive given driving lessons to several people in the last few years. But I did try to teach an x at one point - not good...

One thing to remember is that if something goes wrong there will always be some animosity between you...

It's a difficult call as Im sure your sister will not like you saying no but at the same time it could be awkward if the worst happens...

I wouldnt like to advise on that one as it is a difficult question...

a few years ago, after my sis had a couple of lessons, i took her round a large car park in my old car, doing manovers and basic things. then my dad let her in his car on roads while she had an instructor, went ok. the only problem was when she passed and drove his car.

my dad did the same for me, took me out while i had an instructor, helped no end for both parties.

my dad told both of us that if something happened to his car while we were driving, we would take the consequences, nothing happened though

I think I'm just echoing what everyone else has said, but I'd be happy to take certain people out to practice driving provided they were having lessons and being taught how to drive by an instructor at the same time. It depends a lot on the person and your relationship with them though, if they wind you up or get on your nerves normally, its going to be 10x worse when they're driving and don't know what they're doing and you're frantically pressing a brake pedal that isn't there ;)

Teaching the very basics off road, getting the car moving etc is easier as its pretty safe and if you choose the place properly there won't be a great deal to hit and you won't be going that fast anyway.

Honestly no i wouldnt - my dad refused to teach me or my bro and i know why - he hates being a passenger and so do i now that i can drive - id be a terrible driving instructor, im always going for the invisible brakes on the passenger side when im with my friends lol :lol:

I didn't teach my sister to drive as she learnt with an instructor - however I let her drive my car before her test so that she could get a couple more hours of experience under her belt :thumbsup: !

I didn't teach my sister to drive as she learnt with an instructor - however I let her drive my car before her test so that she could get a couple more hours of experience under her belt :thumbsup: !

Thats how I learnt.

About a month with Instuctor 2-4hrs per week. Then bought my car, and then whenever we went shopping, visiting family etc I would drive, just gaining that road awareness and developing those driving skills which are now automatic.

Similar to what I think.

let a professional instructor teach her to drive. When she's competent you could let her loose behind the wheel of your car for practice/experience.

Can you teach your sister to drive, do you have the right attitude, can you smile and say it does not matter when the gears are crunching and the clutch is burning. If so then why would you not help her out a bit.

Take her to an industrial estate when it is quiet and let her get some additional practice in, you can then judge if you let her drive on the main roads.

If family won't help who will

Do I have the right attitude.... yes, I'm quite placid with her... but I wont be if she hits a brick wall, lets put it that way! :lol:

I'm going to suggest to her to have 10 or so lessons first of all, so she gets used to the controls and then she can practice what she's learnt in my car down the industrial estate but only as a supplement to her proper lessons - so I'm not teaching her per se, she is showing me what she has learnt.... :thumbsup:

Do I have the right attitude.... yes, I'm quite placid with her... but I wont be if she hits a brick wall, lets put it that way! :lol:

I'm going to suggest to her to have 10 or so lessons first of all, so she gets used to the controls and then she can practice what she's learnt in my car down the industrial estate but only as a supplement to her proper lessons - so I'm not teaching her per se, she is showing me what she has learnt.... :thumbsup:

I think that's the right idea.

I did find it hard though going from one car to another, my driving instructor changed the car I was learning in from a Daewoo to a Renault Megane, which was hard to adjust to the new car.

Also I drove my mates Pug 206 180, and 307cc every now and then just around car parks and quiet roads.

This can be tricky too as you spend 10-15 minutes of paid lesson time readjusting to the instructors car.

But hay, maybe any experience is good experience.

No.

My hobby is teaching Advanced Driving and I tried to teach my wife for the basic test. It didn't work because she was tuned into every noise / movement I made, even though I tried hard not to over-react to (less dangerous!) errors.

After 3-4 sessions I decided that lessons would be cheaper than alimony and engaged a friend who I knew to be an excellent instructor.

My wife passed her test and is now a very good driver :thumbsup:

Yeah I'd give them extra practice somewhere quiet, but the teaching should be left to a trained individual with dual controls IMO :thumbsup:

my advice to you em, is dont do it...

I helped the missues when she was learning to drive - but she had pro lessons too - and was a very good learner - i think the worst combo would be sisters trying to teach each other...

your just asking for trouble..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links