Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Plural!

Robie

Plural of Yaris  

36 members have voted

1. 1. The plural of Yaris is

• Yari
    • Yaris'
    • Yaris's
    • Other

But noun plurals that end in 'is' are changed to end in 'es' by also removing the previous 'is' and adding 'es'

For words that end in -is, change the -is to -es to make the plural form.

* synopsis--synopses

* thesis--theses

So surely based on that argument it should be Yares and not Yarises?

But both synopsis and thesis are pure Latin derivatives. I don't know what language (if any) Toyota would claim Yaris comes from hence my preference for the correct English plural of Yarises...

In particualr this HAS to be the case because when forming the plural of a proper noun you can't change the word. The only example I can think of to highlight this is the novelists Kingsley Amis and his son Martin - the two Amises NOT the two Ames... :P

This has been something I've never been able to make up my mind about so I just go with whatever I feel as I'm typing, it varies from post to post

• 9 years later...

As a brand new owner of a used 2007, I thought I'd see what the consensus was.  But alas, the consensus is not grammatically correct, as nearly all above are confusing plural with possessive.

The correct plural is Yarises.  

http://grammarist.com/style/last-names/

There is no justification for Yari, as there is no Latin root here. Yaris was coined by Toyota.

However, if two of these little gems had the same transmission issue, you would write: "We concluded the Yarises' transmissions failed from overfilling with fluid."

(Okay, I was a Stanford English major,which explains why I'm driving a nine-year-old Yaris.) 

That may apply to American English, but in the UK the plural of Yaris is Yaris - as in sheep. Same with Auris.

For us Yanks, the plural of sheep is...sheep!   But I will muck about to see if there is a divergence between the US and UK on pluralizing proper nouns ending in s.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links