Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Management Light & My Lean Mixture

homershairdo

Hi all!

The Engine Management Light came on my car the other day, so took it to the local garage, where they did the diagnostic. The result was that my lean mixture was off. The garage cleared the fault, took it for a test drive and everything was fine

UNTIL

today, when doing a steady 70(ish) the light popped on again. Now hedging my bets I would say it is the same thing.

Now can you help me! What is this lean mixture, and what can be done to fix it - being a newbie I have no idea! How how much (on average) does it cost.....!

Many thanks,

Ian

Normally the case of the MAF sensor caked in gunk.

The MAF sensor is located on the air box with a couple of screws. Just undo it and pull it out and what you sould see is a thin strip of metal. This somehow measures the airflow which in turn tells how much fuel to mix with the air, hence having a lean mixture of fuel if it's not reading correctly.

It is possible to clean the MAF sensor with those cans of air - however be careful as if you was to brake the metal bar it is very expensive to replace.

It might not be the above but it is a place to start as it's most common on yaris's with a fair few miles on them.

Try doing a search on MAF as im sure there's a guide how on to clean it and what it does :thumbsup: !