Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Avensis Oil Consumption

dkan

I've just brought a 53reg T2, 54k and reading throught the forums it seems like owners of the new Avensis are also affect by the heavy oil consumption ? Can anyone confirm this ?

Also, does this problem affect other VVTi engines, I also have a Celica 190, 42k miles 52reg, and it's been fine..not a drop of oil.

thanks

I have a Toyota Avensis VVTI (2001) and oil consumption was normal until 6 months. I need to fill the oil after a long journey (200 miles). I am looking for possible leaks but so far have found nothing.

Cheers

Maj

Hi

I had new short block on my 04 t4 tourer at 42k miles. Sounded tappety after one long journey, and dealer performed an oil consumption test (unfortunately after advising that a service - which it was due and cost around £400.00 - should sort the problem, of course it didnt) it failed quite substantially. Toyota immediately ordered a new engine and swapped it (in 1day!). Check the oil every month regardless, these engines are able to munch their way through a lot of oil and still remain with manufacturers tollerance.

hello

You're lucky with the new engine.

My engine eats 600--650 ml/1000 kms - and I only pay attention to regulary fill it up.

I have no chance to cover new engine by T's account.

Cheers

Igor

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slowtraveler

• famz

• Black Knight

• igormus

I've just brought a 53reg T2, 54k and reading throught the forums it seems like owners of the new Avensis are also affect by the heavy oil consumption ? Can anyone confirm this ?

Also, does this problem affect other VVTi engines, I also have a Celica 190, 42k miles 52reg, and it's been fine..not a drop of oil.

thanks

hi i have just been landed a £2300.00 bill to put my 2001 y reg gs vvti avensis back on road only done 47000 miles full service history with toyota they are trying to wriggle out of it my oil light did not come on, engine knackered! my 73 year old dad was the previous very careful owner.

just emailed customer care letter in post to follow keep the oil topped up toyota are aware of the problem but were cagey when i rang :( :( j.bull95@btinternet.com

thanks

I have a Toyota Avensis VVTI (2001) and oil consumption was normal until 6 months. I need to fill the oil after a long journey (200 miles). I am looking for possible leaks but so far have found nothing.

Cheers

Maj

• 1 month later...

thanks

Cheers

Maj

The local dealer has quoted £2,100 for a new engine block. I phoned and have written to Toyota UK who have refused to help. I raised the issue before the 7 year limit however Toyota are refusing to help as the car is now over 7 years old. I am considering my next step such as the small claims court.

What would happen if I keep topping the engine up with oil. Is there any long term damage being done?

I've been on the end of a corolla 1.4 vvt-i using oil and havin a new engine after many trips to the dealer. My dads just had a new engine in his x plate avensis. Now when i went armed to dealer with the problems with the 1.4 1.6 1.8 vvt-i engines i was told its only cars from 2000-2002. Now if the new avensis is being affected by the same problem the new block designe must not be working. So my dads new engine after another 40k will go the same way. So that means that my 54 plate avensis will be using oil in around 20k time. Am i right or wrong? Do i part ex now for the t180 avensis or wait like i was till next year. I know of a 03 and a 53 plate avensis using oil the 53 plate has only 27k on the clock.

[/quote

I did swap my 54 plate avensis just has it started to use oil last december for a t180 avensis. 2006 56 plate and to all horrors the 2.2 d4d engine suffers oil consumption problmes. I've just done 18k in my T180 total miles now 19400 and i'm using around a litre of oil per 1000 miles.

To sum up since 2003 i've had a corolla that needed a new engine due to oil consumption

My father needed a new engine in his 1.8 avensis due to oil consumption

My 54 plate avensis needed a new engine cos of oil consumption but i traded that in and got the t180, which looks like its in need of a new engine. Let me ask this question, will my dads 06 plate 1.8 avensis need another new engine???

All my toyota's have had full main dealer service history and my dads all done on time. I do around 20k a year so my cars get 2 services a year my dad does about 5k a year so he gets on service a year.

Every toyota i've owned has had oli consumption problems. In my opinion thats not bad luck has a customer but bad desgin by toyota. I dont drive cars hard nor does my dad i work in the motor trade lots of the avensis we have in has part ex's are low on oil.

thanks

Read this article.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpr...ngine_woes.html

• 3 months later...
the remedy is simple --- to purchase full gaskets/rings kit; dismantle + remove pistons + clear the drain holes on the pistons skirts + assemble again.

the problem is only there. as was reported - due to a rough design mistake connected with each pistons cooling the oil is converted into a slag clogging drain holes resulting oil suction into combustion chamber instead of draining into crankcase (!!!)

cheers/Igor

Due to wrong design of pistons, Toyota releases new design pistons, which to replace old ones...

On my 25k.miles 3ZZ-FE Toyota replaces : pistons (old one generally was perfect, but design was wrong), piston rings and dip stick.

Dip stick they changed to increase oil quantity as per Toyota instructions (shorter dip-stick).

Before repair engine takes 3.7litters of oil, after repair - 4.2litters...

I think 1ZZ-FE (1.8 VVT-i) engine suffers exactly the same problem and you can solve the same way...

About the price - i dont know, but anyway it will be expensive due to the parts and a lot of work needed... :unsure:

hello

sure this remedy lasts during the next 50k coz this time is exactly/almost when holes are about to be clogged.

i have got all the pictures of dismantling process as well as clogged holes as the prove what has happened.

either party interrested to send me email -ID and I'll send relevant photoes.

as to new designed pistons -- these must to have the same weight otherwise each crankpin as well as the main pin will be more loaded due to new pistons weight + extreme pressure in each cylinder + "g" + etc.

cheers/Igor

Hi Igor, BlackNight, Slowtraveler I'm very interested in this issue - old pistons/new pistons design. I'd appreciate if anybody explains in more details what is the exact difference between the problematic pistons and the new ones. I'm from Bulgaria and I have the same oil consumption issue with a toyota corolla 2001 1.6 VVTi 3ZZ-FE engine!!!

I'm planing an engine fix and I want to know for what to look for in the new design poston. The goal is to buy a new desgn piston not an old one design, since I don't want to buy from offical toyota dealer - their prices are sky high for nothing!!! So I want to know how this new desing piston looks like. I read that there are more holes but where are these holes situated and how many they are on the old one and the new one design. Also is it right that the the groove for the O-ring is a bit larger on each piston???

Any photos of the old ones would be greatly appreciated!!!

Any summarized explanation of the improvements of the new desing piston, backed up with photos will be extremely precious!!!

Where are these clogged holes situated exactly?? Can you post a photo?

May mail is motronixco@yahoo.com you can send some photos here too.

Thanks in advance

the remedy is simple --- to purchase full gaskets/rings kit; dismantle + remove pistons + clear the drain holes on the pistons skirts + assemble again.

the problem is only there. as was reported - due to a rough design mistake connected with each pistons cooling the oil is converted into a slag clogging drain holes resulting oil suction into combustion chamber instead of draining into crankcase (!!!)

cheers/Igor

Due to wrong design of pistons, Toyota releases new design pistons, which to replace old ones...

On my 25k.miles 3ZZ-FE Toyota replaces : pistons (old one generally was perfect, but design was wrong), piston rings and dip stick.

Dip stick they changed to increase oil quantity as per Toyota instructions (shorter dip-stick).

Before repair engine takes 3.7litters of oil, after repair - 4.2litters...

I think 1ZZ-FE (1.8 VVT-i) engine suffers exactly the same problem and you can solve the same way...

About the price - i dont know, but anyway it will be expensive due to the parts and a lot of work needed... :unsure:

hello

sure this remedy lasts during the next 50k coz this time is exactly/almost when holes are about to be clogged.

i have got all the pictures of dismantling process as well as clogged holes as the prove what has happened.

either party interrested to send me email -ID and I'll send relevant photoes.

as to new designed pistons -- these must to have the same weight otherwise each crankpin as well as the main pin will be more loaded due to new pistons weight + extreme pressure in each cylinder + "g" + etc.

cheers/Igor

Hi Igor, BlackNight, Slowtraveler I'm very interested in this issue - old pistons/new pistons design. I'd appreciate if anybody explains in more details what is the exact difference between the problematic pistons and the new ones. I'm from Bulgaria and I have the same oil consumption issue with a toyota corolla 2001 1.6 VVTi 3ZZ-FE engine!!!

I'm planing an engine fix and I want to know for what to look for in the new design poston. The goal is to buy a new desgn piston not an old one design, since I don't want to buy from offical toyota dealer - their prices are sky high for nothing!!! So I want to know how this new desing piston looks like. I read that there are more holes but where are these holes situated and how many they are on the old one and the new one design. Also is it right that the the groove for the O-ring is a bit larger on each piston???

Any photos of the old ones would be greatly appreciated!!!

Any summarized explanation of the improvements of the new desing piston, backed up with photos will be extremely precious!!!

Where are these clogged holes situated exactly?? Can you post a photo?

May mail is motronixco@yahoo.com you can send some photos here too.

Thanks in advance

hello MATE

yes i have just emailed it to you.

as far as I heard on here MrT offers short engine (block with assebled pistons + shaft) with already recognised new pistons that have thick head .

YOU will never get design drawing of the new pistons -- it is commercical secret of each Brand. Normally the extremly clcever OEM parts manufactures :) simply purchase new motor, dismantle it, have all parts measured and make desiign drawiings to produce an OEM parts. As vissible on the photo -- the old piston designed has a thin head that is quickly warmed up by fire and can not give out its heat to the cylinder liner. The engine could be problemless in case each piston could be cooled by means of an oil jet directed to the each piston inner side thru small pipes pieces connected to the main oil supply line. Besides -- it would be sufficient to arrange an oil cooler close to refrigerant cooler.

That is my opinion. If someone can contradict it -- YOU are welcome.

Cheers/Igor

• 1 year later...

I've had an 04 plate Avensis 1.8 VVTI T3-S for about 9months now and have had to top the oil up twice. First I had to add 1litre after a long 2K mile journey. Now after topping it up then, approx 3-4K kms I just checked the oil again and it was below the level of the dipstick.

It's taken 2.5 litres to top it up again. There are no signs of leaks and no smoke from the tailpipe to indicate any major mechanical issues. There is a rattle on the engine just above 2K RPM, but other than that it ticks over perfectly and maintains a perfect oil/engine temp.

Is this all down to the same issue described throughout the thread?

Taking it to a private garage tom to have it checked, would be nice to know what to suggest/ask....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links