Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cigar Lighter Or Any +12v Wire?

YarisGLS

Dear all,

I am new to this forum (as well as Yaris ownership) so please bare with me for any stupid questions....

I want to add LEDs to the footwell area (just like all my previous cars :P) but I am having trouble locating a +12V wire that turns on with the ignition. I have read through previous posts, but I still have some question marks in my head....

I guess the cigar ligher would be the best place to wire it, but is there a way to pop it out without removing any of the dash?

Or better still, is there any "easy to reach" wire under the dash/ Fuse box that I could just tap into for the power?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Just get to the cigar lighter from the back and use that power as it is the tidiest and most fail safe one to do. It doesn't take long to remove the dash and there are loads of guides about if you do a quick search.

This is weird i actually just fitted footwell neons about 30mins ago!

Took dash off

Spliced headunit wires as they have fuse attathced!

Tidyed it up

Put dash back on!

Doddle :thumbsup:

Alternatively.. If you have a switch of some kind you can wire it directly to the Battery, although safe bet is to use something with a fuse in between.

Piccies please adam :D I'd say cigar lighter safer bet than HU wires as it is also fused but is less likely to run close to the fuses limit (if its not in use) rather than the HU on loud and then with neons on aswell MAY be enough to blow it. Just a thought! Probably wont but cigar lighter is safer bet

Yep, been taking the dash off and here is the results!

Footwell.jpg

Glove-Box.jpg

Centre-Console.jpg

I have added a set of blue LEDs (designed for wheel arch :D ) which use high power surface mount LEDs, so the light is nicely diffused and bright!!!

And I have added 4 white LEDs to the glove box/ "center dash holes" (dun know how you guys call this) / and the tray under the cassette player. These are added on to make finding things easier in the dark, which works great!

All of the LEDs are powered from the cigar lighter, and they have separate switch to operate them (one to control the footwell LEDs, and one for the white ones).

The result is great (for me anyway.... don't blame me for being chav for the interior) and I am more than happy to write a "how to" when I have time~

Hint: When putting the centre dash back on, make sure you have the white bracket (the heat control + wind flow direction dials) installed to the back of the centre dash first, before trying to push the whole thing back on. It will make life much easier!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links