Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noise From D4d Engine

Gerard D

Hello all. I am hoping for some help, I have an 04 Avensis Verso D4D, which I bought recently, however I have a strange noise coming from the engine in 4th or 5th gear around 40-50mph, after the Turbo kicks in like loose bearings, I can best replicate this when going up a slight incline. I have brought it to Mr T who replaced the power steering belt and pulley system, but still the noise continues, they now tell me this is normal and that others do it to. I dont think so?, and I havent seen another to test drive to replicate this. Any help anyone? Also I have heard the flywheel can give problems on the D4D but I'm not sure if this applies to my model?

Hello all. I am hoping for some help, I have an 04 Avensis Verso D4D, which I bought recently, however I have a strange noise coming from the engine in 4th or 5th gear around 40-50mph, after the Turbo kicks in like loose bearings, I can best replicate this when going up a slight incline. I have brought it to Mr T who replaced the power steering belt and pulley system, but still the noise continues, they now tell me this is normal and that others do it to. I dont think so?, and I havent seen another to test drive to replicate this. Any help anyone? Also I have heard the flywheel can give problems on the D4D but I'm not sure if this applies to my model?

I have a yaris 1.4D4D, yes different car I know. 2006 t3, this too is a bit noisy. I believe it is the nature of this engine, as it is mentioned in most reviews of this engine. I do not believe you have nay major concerns.

• 1 month later...

I experience the same problem too. I have bought a Toyota Avensis Verso built 2004. The d4d 2.0l engine is making noise when in 4th or 5th gear when the engine runs between 1500rpm and 2200rpm at medium to full throttle. The noise can be described as diesel knock. Toyota is still investigating the problem and their first thoughts go to a resonance in the exhaust system (?). I do not believe this is the case. I guy who drove with me who used to work with Perkins UK confirmed to me that the noise originates from "uncontrolled combustion" or diesel knock. I am trying to convince Toyota to repair/ replace the engine. I hope they solve the issue because life time of such an engine is not garuanteed (what with fuel consumption?). They let me drive another Avensis Verso, it exhibited the same problem in a much much lesser extent (smaller rpm range with issue, only at full throttle) - most likeley a large population of cars suffer from this.

I experience the same problem too. I have bought a Toyota Avensis Verso built 2004. The d4d 2.0l engine is making noise when in 4th or 5th gear when the engine runs between 1500rpm and 2200rpm at medium to full throttle. The noise can be described as diesel knock. Toyota is still investigating the problem and their first thoughts go to a resonance in the exhaust system (?). I do not believe this is the case. I guy who drove with me who used to work with Perkins UK confirmed to me that the noise originates from "uncontrolled combustion" or diesel knock. I am trying to convince Toyota to repair/ replace the engine. I hope they solve the issue because life time of such an engine is not garuanteed (what with fuel consumption?). They let me drive another Avensis Verso, it exhibited the same problem in a much much lesser extent (smaller rpm range with issue, only at full throttle) - most likeley a large population of cars suffer from this.

Hello peeps, I have the Avensis 2.0 D4D on an 05 plate with 45,000 miles on the clock (taxi). I had that noise too, mostly going up hill in 4th or 5th. In the last week I've had the idler pulley and tensioner just under the power steering pump, as well as the belt, replaced foc under warranty. The sound diminished slightly but not completely so took in back in next day and they changed the air conditioning pump, hey presto, no more embarrassing noise when going up hill or pulling away. And it’s not the only one, mine is a taxi and we have 10 identical cars on the fleet and they all make the same noise. Needless to say the rest of the cars will be heading for the dealers in the next few days. Oh and before I forget I had a squeaky clutch pedal too so they replaced the master cylinder which has made a hell of a difference to the gear change, much smoother. Hope this helps.

• Like 1