Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Many Keys Should A T Reg Comes With?

YarisGLS

Been reading through old threads and starting to think whether I am safe having the only key now.

When I bought my Yaris GLS, I was only given 1 black Remote Key, and the dealer said that the previous owner have lost the rest.

There should be a total of 3 keys right? Is it one "Black Remote key" and the remaining 2 are just standard metal keys?

I am not entirely sure how the immobiliser works, but "if" the previous owner or the dealer was lying to me and still had the other keys, am I in threat of loosing the car if they are intended to steal?

I am on a tight budget, but am I right in saying that the best bet is to get an old remote key from eBay, and get a key blank... then do what Vmail said to reprogram the system, so the any existing keys are excluded from the immobiliser's memory?

Thanks for anyhelp in deed!

2 black remot keys and 1 plain grey key is what you should have, If you lose the last key then it will cost quite a lot as you'd need a new ecu (what i've been told anyway).

I wouldn't see the point in them stealing back the car, as if you told the cops they may have spare keys they'd probably go after the previous owners first.

Not sure how it works buying a key off eBay

I've got 2 normal black keys & a grey 1, none have any buttons on. The alarm/immobiliser is a seperate unit with 2 buttons on.

I've got 2 black keys with buttons on them and another grey key with no buttons on it! :thumbsup:

I think it's the grey one that you really should have as new keys are mapped, programmed or whatever they're calling it this week, from that one. It's not intended to be used but kept safe somewhere. Sadly, didn't happen in the case of your car's previous owners

They can provide new keys anyway but it is pricier as armouredfist said.

I think it's the grey one that you really should have as new keys are mapped, programmed or whatever they're calling it this week, from that one. It's not intended to be used but kept safe somewhere. Sadly, didn't happen in the case of your car's previous owners

They can provide new keys anyway but it is pricier as armouredfist said.

Thanks for your reply guys!

But.... I thought the main key is the Black Remote key? Couldn't Mr T copy from the black remote key, which is the only one I have?

Problem solved...

disklock.jpg

Hehe, already got a yellow one on~

I think it's always a safe bet to have a spare key kept in your house all the time. The amount of times I've misplaced my usual key around my house and had to revert to the spares is unbelievable!!

The all new Yaris (2006) only has two black keys...............both with remote plippers.

Mr T has done away with the third grey key as it was not considered to be worthwhile............(lots of owners lost their third grey keys)

My second key is safely kept at home :thumbsup:

I think it's always a safe bet to have a spare key kept in your house all the time. The amount of times I've misplaced my usual key around my house and had to revert to the spares is unbelievable!!

Yeah, I usually use mine to warm up my car in the winter, I start it up, put the heaters on & then lock it with the spare key. I know the car wont be alarmed or anything but if some1 tries to break into it I'll hear them.

I have two black key fobbs with buttons on, one grey key with no buttons and a small black key with no buttons. What does this small black key do?

Both mine came with three keys - two black remote keys and a grey service key. I still have the grey service key for Karis somewhere :lol:

With the grey service key comes a grey plastic tab with a code on it, its this code they use (I believe) to replicate keys - were you given this little tab when you bought the car?

Both mine came with three keys - two black remote keys and a grey service key. I still have the grey service key for Karis somewhere :lol:

With the grey service key comes a grey plastic tab with a code on it, its this code they use (I believe) to replicate keys - were you given this little tab when you bought the car?

Unfortunately... nope, I only have 1 black remote key. That's all I got. :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links