Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 Satnav, Gps And Speed Cameras

gcparris

Hi all,

Some of you may have read in another thread on SatNav that I was looking at decoding the SatNav POI database and trying to update it with the speed camera database from www.PocketGPSWorld.com. Well even though I managed to download the file format specifications from Kiwi for the SatNav and I was able to read the files and burn a copy of the dual layer DVD, the project was taking too much of my time and basically I gave up!

When I had my TVR Tuscan (sob, sob!) I used to have a radar detector. It's effectiveness was variable as it only picked up radar and laser traps, so things like the new Truvelo and the Specs were never detected.

Now some of you out there may have a SmartPhone or Pocket PC running Windows Mobile. I have just purchased a bluetooth GPS unit (£40) which is the size of a box of matches. It uses the new SiRF III chipset which means it can sit in the glove box, the arm rest or under the seat, wherever really as it doesn't need a clear view to the sky. I have mine in the arm rest box, out-of-sight, plugged into the power outlet that only comes on with the ignition on.

SiRF III Bluetooth GPS Unit

I also purchased a piece of software for my Smartphone (and PocketPC) called CamerAware (£20 - with free updates for life) that bascially acts like a standard GPS speed camera system. I didn't want a full blown navigational system as I am very happy with the RAV4's SatNav system.

Modaco CamerAware

So now I have an excellant speed camera detection system on my mobile phone, mounted next to the RAVs SatNav, as well as integrating with the internal telephone system all via bluetooth, whilst keep the amount of kit on show in the car to a minimum.

It's worth taking a look if you want such solution.

Regards,

Gareth.

Thanks for info I was not aware that you could get a GPS receiver that would work without a clear view of the sky. once again thank you for taking the time to post

No problems at all. I can confirm that the unit does work really well even though it is in the arm rest.

Thanks for info I was not aware that you could get a GPS receiver that would work without a clear view of the sky. once again thank you for taking the time to post

HI I read with interest your bluetooth GPS and speed camera info. As a novice in this department, could you in detail list what was need and where to purchase the items. I already have the toyota Sat nav system and a bluetooth phone so your addition would be a benefit for me. Many Thanks

HI I read with interest your bluetooth GPS and speed camera info. As a novice in this department, could you in detail list what was need and where to purchase the items. I already have the toyota Sat nav system and a bluetooth phone so your addition would be a benefit for me. Many Thanks

You will need a Pocket PC, a Pocket PC Phone or a SmartPhone running Microsoft Mobile version 5.

You will need a bluetooth GPS receiver (such as the one I mentioned above).

You will need software (CamerAware) for the phone from Modaco (also detailed above).

As CamerAware is a Windows Mobile application it will not run on any other type of phone, even if it has bluetooth.

The GPS receiver will work with any bluetooth device BUT you need software to go with this to do anything useful.

There *may* be other applications out there that *might* possibly run on your phone, but I do not know of any.

I specifically have an Orange SPV C600 SmartPhone that runs Windows Mobile 5.

Hope that helps.

Gareth.

Thanks. I'll look into this.

I've got TomTom 5 on my PDA with a BT receiver, but obviously no longer need it with the T180 satnav.

I was considering getting a road angel, and still might, sort out the speed camera stuff. This is another option I can look into.

You will need a Pocket PC, a Pocket PC Phone or a SmartPhone running Microsoft Mobile version 5.

You will need a bluetooth GPS receiver (such as the one I mentioned above).

You will need software (CamerAware) for the phone from Modaco (also detailed above).

As CamerAware is a Windows Mobile application it will not run on any other type of phone, even if it has bluetooth.

The GPS receiver will work with any bluetooth device BUT you need software to go with this to do anything useful.

There *may* be other applications out there that *might* possibly run on your phone, but I do not know of any.

I specifically have an Orange SPV C600 SmartPhone that runs Windows Mobile 5.

Hope that helps.

Gareth.

Hi Gareth Thanks for the info

Kendia62

• 4 years later...