Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Adjustment

ajmsn

Hi,

I am a new member and have recently purchased a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T3 2002. The only problem I have with it is the clutch bite point, which is almost at the end/top of the pedal travel. How do I adjust the clutch bite point? I've had a look under the bonnet and there does not seem to be the traditional arm to adjust the clutch, even when depressing the clutch pedal I could see nothing move in the engine bay....so can anyone help me, I would appreciate it so much.

Ajmsn

Hi,

I am a new member and have recently purchased a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T3 2002. The only problem I have with it is the clutch bite point, which is almost at the end/top of the pedal travel. How do I adjust the clutch bite point? I've had a look under the bonnet and there does not seem to be the traditional arm to adjust the clutch, even when depressing the clutch pedal I could see nothing move in the engine bay....so can anyone help me, I would appreciate it so much.

Ajmsn

hope this helps, i adjusted my clutch using this method. i did not lift the carpet though. i just set it to what felt good and comfy to drive, bit of trial and error. :thumbsup:

be prepared to stand on your head to reach the adjuster though. :lol:

DSC00019.jpg

Hi AJMSN

Sounds to me like your clutch is at the end of it's life. A quick test is to floor the throttle in fourth gear, while travelling about 35-40 mph. Then dip the clutch and let the revs rise, then release the clutch pedal quickly and listen for the engine note. If the revs continue to rise, back off the throttle, your clutch needs replacing. If the revs drop slowly to where it was before the test, then your clutch is coming to the end of its life. If the revs drop quickly back to where it was before the test, then your clutch is probably servicable. There are several other ways of testing clutch performance, but I think this way gives a better impression of the life left in a clutch. It's also a lot less brutal than the other methods. Hope this helps Ray

Hi AJMSN

Sounds to me like your clutch is at the end of it's life. A quick test is to floor the throttle in fourth gear, while travelling about 35-40 mph. Then dip the clutch and let the revs rise, then release the clutch pedal quickly and listen for the engine note. If the revs continue to rise, back off the throttle, your clutch needs replacing. If the revs drop slowly to where it was before the test, then your clutch is coming to the end of its life. If the revs drop quickly back to where it was before the test, then your clutch is probably servicable. There are several other ways of testing clutch performance, but I think this way gives a better impression of the life left in a clutch. It's also a lot less brutal than the other methods. Hope this helps Ray

I dont think the clutch is on its way out as the car has only done 31000 miles and its immaculate. I think its more of an adjustment problem, thanks for the suggestion though.

Ajmsn

Hi,

Ajmsn

hope this helps, i adjusted my clutch using this method. i did not lift the carpet though. i just set it to what felt good and comfy to drive, bit of trial and error. :thumbsup:

DSC00019.jpg

Sorry to ask a seemingly dim question, but will this method allow me to make the clutch bite point lower i.e bite closer to the floor? Also what did you adjust to change the bite point; the pedal free play or pedal height or both? I appreciate your help.

Ajmsn

Hi,

Ajmsn

DSC00019.jpg

Sorry to ask a seemingly dim question, but will this method allow me to make the clutch bite point lower i.e bite closer to the floor? Also what did you adjust to change the bite point; the pedal free play or pedal height or both? I appreciate your help.

Ajmsn

hi,

i lowered the bite point by adjusting the push rod at the adjuster.

undo the nut, then turn the push rod with your fingers. you may need some small grips on it to get it started . you can lengthen or shorten the push rod . i cant remember if i lengthened it or shortened it. remember to lock the the nut off before testing the pedal.

i did not use any of the figures quoted above, but basically adjusted it one way then the other to see which way lowered it. i tested it by starting the engine and attempting to pull off and judged the amount of travel till it was comfy to drive.

then i adjusted the pedal height adjuster to suit the new push rod setting. which made my pedal slightly lower, but not by much. :thumbsup:

basically , get a mini torch, hold in teeth, lie awkwardly on back, get under the pedals and have a look... push the clutch in by hand and you will get a general idea of the workings... hope this helps. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there any risk involved in this mod? I mean you cannot slowly burn your clutch by setting the course too low/far for example?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there any risk involved in this mod? I mean you cannot slowly burn your clutch by setting the course too low/far for example?

i never had a problem. it worked loads better after i reset it. :thumbsup:

wow, I tried to take a look at the pedal and...how did you do it, you must be the "snake man" :D , you did it without removing the seat ? I'm gonna try with a mirror but it's tight down there (no pun intended)!!

wow, I tried to take a look at the pedal and...how did you do it, you must be the "snake man" :D , you did it without removing the seat ? I'm gonna try with a mirror but it's tight down there (no pun intended)!!

yeah, you have to lie on your back with your feet and legs out of the door.... i held a small torch in my mouth to see what i was doing... dont forget to remove the lower dash trim to make things easier, its held on by 2 screws/ clips. :thumbsup:

I also just moved the push rod on my mr2 , it worked a treat .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links