Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 automatic

yozef

I have just bought a 1997 RAV4 for my wife and cunningly enough I chose an automatic. The Problem is I think we do not know exactly how we have to drive it. My wifes drives slowly approx 60km/h and the transmission seems to remain in third or high gear every time. I can see this from the consumption as it is giving us around 20mpg..Can anyone help...

• 9 years later...

Monster-Mat is correct.

Mine will run in 4th gear at 30mph (50kph) but won't lock up, and does about 23MPG (imperial gallons)

the rev counter goes between about 1900 uphill and 800 downhill.

At 50mph in lock up it does 2000 RPM.

The conclusion is there is a lot of fuel being wasted heating up the transmission oil.

The automatic Ravs are very thirsty indeed ... If economy is a key issue which for most of Us it is then a manual is far better...

Everything has to be paid for in one way or another.as I am sure all appreciate

I find it easier driving in stop /start traffic and in general, and as I no longer drive as I used to when I was much younger like winding it up to go 20 yards, It's so much more relaxing with an auto.

And before you ask,no, I am not the old dodderer in front doing 20 MPH below the limit,I still enjoy what we used to call rapid progress

Point being we all buy what suits us and pay accordingly and not just by MPG readings

Sermon over

Del

Everything has to be paid for in one way or another.as I am sure all appreciate

I find it easier driving in stop /start traffic and in general, and as I no longer drive as I used to when I was much younger like winding it up to go 20 yards, It's so much more relaxing with an auto.

And before you ask,no, I am not the old dodderer in front doing 20 MPH below the limit,I still enjoy what we used to call rapid progress

Point being we all buy what suits us and pay accordingly and not just by MPG readings

Sermon over

Del

I agree with Derek.

We've got two 4.2 VVTi automatics and certainly they are not the most fuel-efficient vehicles around. One averages 23-25 mpg, the other 30- 35 mpg. However,leaving aside stat & "distress" costs (ins, VED,tyres, etc) servicing is cheap & maintenance costs are almost non-existent. The cars are ultra reliable, comfortable, reasonably spacious (well, for the 3-dr, the term is very relative!), well-built and the auto boxes are excellent.

It is very much a matter of paying your money & taking your pick......

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links