Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Laser Eye Surgery

kirst_ie

As anyone on here had this procedure done, or is planning on having it.

I have an consulation on 2nd December, and i am compiling a list of question that i can ask.

Can anyone help?

I was planning on getting it done but the long-term effects are unknown as it's a relatively new procedure & I'm not willing to risk my sight in the long-term when I'm happy enough using contact lenses. The idea of it is great & I'd be more than prepared to spend the money that it costs but my vision is very important to me & I couldn't live with myself if I lost/ruined it just to avoid wearing contact lenses/glasses.

there are videos on google or you tube that show the procedure.. (not for the faint hearted)...

I have heard mainly good things... but there is always the chance that something could go wrong....

Someone I know had it done and two years later her sight started to naturally deteriorate again.... she was then told it wasnt a permanent procedure! Different people react to the process differently apparently

Thats kind of put me off to be honest, contacts are a PITA but they're consistent and I know the risk is minimal....

I know people who have had it done and swear by it. it's the best thing that they have ever had.

The whole thought of it fills me with terror though.

I'm fortunate enough to still have perfect eyesight, but if and when it starts to go I wouldn't even consider lasering them better !

Not sure that this is so new, I have been watching for the longer term effects of this for 10 years now and not heard many stories. I have two friends that have had it done, one of them just got it done there and then while on holiday in america three years ago. They are both fine, and swear by it.

One of them got something done with his tear ducts, sealed I think which apparently makes the eye more moist.

However I have not went for it yet. I would love to lose the glasses, and have better eye sight but am still scared althought now that its like 350 per eye I have been thinking about it recently. So to answer your post here are my questions

Whats this stuff about the tear ducts?

Is this a permanent treatment?

How much evidence is there that after 20 years or so the eye sight is still as good as it was on the day after surgery?

Does it hurt?

How long is the recovery period, is it instant improved eye sight?

If you do some further reasearch can you let us know what you find, I continually consider it but have not even been for a consultation.

Spec Savers have opened a new unit close to me in Glasgow and are advertising on the TV which is why I have been considering it, but as said above, we only got one set and not sure I want to risk it. That said I do not know the level of risk.

I know a chap that has had it done, and like others he swears by it.

They don't like doing it on younger people though as their eyes are more prone to change.....

Deffo something I'd consider as my eyesight is !Removed!!

Not sure that this is so new, I have been watching for the longer term effects of this for 10 years now and not heard many stories.

Either way, I plan to live for longer than 10 years & I don't want to risk losing my sight early due to an operation I didn't need to have done. There is no guarantee that after 15 or 20 it could ruin your eyes & I've potentially got far too much to lose & far too little to gain by having it done. The idea sounds brilliant but I just don't think it's worth the (probably extremely minor) risk, this is something I'm happy to be overly cautious about

I think people get freaked about eye surgery more than anything - one becuase it doesnt feel right for people to be messin with your eye balls :!Removed!: and two because the loss of vision is a scare factor

My brother had to have surgery on his eye - and when he told me what they were going to do it freaked me out - it wasnt laser surgery but still people messing with his eyes

But after he came out he said they were excellent about it all, couldnt have been safer and they really put him at ease

its just like any other surgery - the people are professionals and they know what they are doing, if laser surgery was unsafe they would have banned it by now or sent watch dog round!

My advice just get them to explain the procedure thoroughly to you, the safety procedures etc etc

People are generally more scared if they dont know what to expect, do as much research as you need to before you feel comfortable in making a decision, dont sign up if you still have unanswered questions :thumbsup:

Have watched that vid on YouTube, it turned my stomach. The only part i don't like is the clamp things keeping your eyes open, didn't look to good.

Have got consultation on the 2nd Dec, so i have a little while to do some serious research.

Will update you all, if i find anything else.

Scares the heck out of me to be honest but I know a guy in his eighties who had it done only a few years ago and swears by it.

I'll stick with my specs. :yes:

my girlfriend had it done, the oe where they peel back your lense to do it.

she swears by it and has full 20 20 vision, they told her the only way her eyes will go back now is through old age

• 1 month later...

Well i had it done folks and tbh its the best money i have spent on myself.

It was completely painfree. Apart from the first day where it was like (you know when someone wakes you up and switched the light on and it blinds ya) it was like that with any light and the contact lenses that they put in annoy the living daylights out of you.

Its nearly two weeks since i had it done and my vision is great, not far from 20/20.

Would recommend it to anyone. :thumbsup:

My eyesight is ok.. even without my glasses.

well.. most of the time it's ok

Good luck if you go for it :thumbsup:

I can see a one legged fly having a pee and what colour it is at 100mtrs but everything is a blur when reading, the most annoying thing for me is having satnav and not being able to see it properly , I would love to have my mincers put right if it was (A) Possible and (B ) Cheap enough.

Having my eyes prodded doesn’t bother me after numerous visits to hospital over the years to get various chunks of shrapnel removed due to the nature of my work.

It’s great that you plucked up the courage to have it done and encouraging to others knowing that it isn’t the medieval torture they imagined. :thumbsup:

Les

Glad to hear it was all ok...

I personally wouldnt think it was worth doing while peeps are still young... as their eyes will continue to deteriorate quite a bit... and so a bit of a waste o cash IMO

Well done for going for it, it sounds great but like I've already said I wont be having it done for at least the time being. What's this about the contact lenses though? I'm guessing they're a temporary thing because I wouldn't be impressed in forking out that kind of cash so I didn't have to wear contact lenses, only to end up wearing contact lenses anyway :P . Also, are they only annoying because you're not used to them?

Glad to hear it was all ok...

I personally wouldnt think it was worth doing while peeps are still young... as their eyes will continue to deteriorate quite a bit... and so a bit of a waste o cash IMO

It depends on how long it lasts, even if it only lasts for 10 years, it'll only work out at the price of a decent pair of glasses each year so could effectively pay for itself & if it makes your life a lot easier for those 10 years then it would be money well spent in my book

You ARE brave! I hate anything to do with my eyes, luckily have perfect eyesight and the optician didn't want to see me for another 15/20 years! Last time I went was 15 years ago, but I like to go to check out the health of my eyes rather than my eyesight itself.

My friend at work had laser surgery 2 years ago, she does a lot of active sports like surfing & snow boarding She swears by it too but the only side effects she has is dry eyes, especially in A/C & centrally heated rooms.

i have heard that there would always be a blind spot on your vision where the laser has been beaming on, is this true?? have always been thinking about this as my eyes sigth could do with improving but was always put of by it coz of that!

I haven't got any blind spots at all.

The contact lenses were just put in place to protect your eye while it creates new cells to heal. You have them taken out 4 days after.

As im 23 they said it would easily last me till im in my 40 by where 9 ot of 10 people need reading glasses anyway.

So like you said within ten years it would of paid for itself as i normally spend about 150quid a year on a new paid of glasses and an eye test.