Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Safety Recall

duncanda

I've just received a safety recall letter for my '03 T3-X. I'm confused by the wording of the letter and the what the dealer says they will do. This is for the potential problem of the steering column shaft and its sliding joint becoming loose.

The letter states, "As a preventative measure and for your total peace of mind we would like to perform a revision to your vehicle completely at our expense......". It goes on to say, "... the work will take approximately two hours". To me this implies that the dealer will undertake the work i.e. "revision" whether the car needs it or not. When I spoke to the dealer service reception, they said that they inspect the car and only if it needs it will they replace the part(s), which they have to get shipped up overnight from Toyota on a case by case basis. So if your car needs it, it's in overnight. This doesn't seem to match the implication of the letter. Toyota helpline weren't helpful and I've been trying to get through to customer relations.

Has anyone else gone through this particular fix and procedure and what happended?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• duncanda

• Steve84

• mickey.j

• uumode

Just spoken to Toyota customer relations and they said that the work should be undertaken i.e. part(s) replaced whether the car needs it or not. If the dealer differed from this then I was to refer them to Toyota's warranty department. We'll see how I get on with the dealer. This is a horrendous situation for a safety recall notice, that the dealer doesn't fully understand what Toyota intended.

So what was done to your Avensis.

Hi Duncan

We (technicians) are beginning to see several cars in the workshop for steering shaft replacement. The work procedure is thus: -

We have to check the lower steering shaft- that is the short shaft that is connected to the rack, to make sue it is fully engaged on it's spline. If it isn't fully engaged then we have to replace it. A bit extreme in my opinion, but I'm only a technician.

Second stage is to check the first U/J to see what type it is. Some U/J's have a slot from the coupling end all the way to the yoke end- this is the type that have to be changed. The replacement U/J has a slot cut about half way along its length which terminates in a small diameter drilling. The reason for the slot in both U/J's is to allow the clamp bolt to compress the spline tightly on the mating shaft. The one which is slotted all the way to the yoke is slightly weaker than the replacement one with the drilling. I've seen thousands of steering U/J's as an MOT tester and this design of slotted U/J coupling is quite common among the various manufacturers. My guess is that Toyota is replacing all the shafts rather than risk a single court case, which could be very damaging. In the days of hydraulicly powered steering assistance this steering shaft would be very lightly loaded as it only carried the instructions to a powerful pump and ram system to do all the work. Now with the electrical power assistance, the steering shaft carries the full load of the steering effort. The electric motor that gives the assistance lives just behind the dash.

Having seen plenty of steering systems, some a lot lighter than these in question, I think you have nothing to worry about, just the inconvenience of the garage visit. I hope that this will calm any fears you have about turning the steering wheel and going straight on.

Cheers Ray

My son has just received the recall for his 03 1.8 Toyota. I have received nothing with regard to my 03 T4 toyota so can I assume my model is not affected by this recall????

Many thanks for the reassurance Ray99. I understand what you've described and if my car has the correct UJ's and spline overlap then I don't see the need to change parts. However I think my experience raises other concerns such as why does Toyota Customer Relation's opinion of what's to be done and the process differ from the dealers. The letter could have been written differently as well.

Thanks

HI ray99 just a quick one for you, i've too heard about the steering problem recall and it says that you may get some symptoms of a problem before the steering fails any idea what them symptons would be cheers.

Concern : STEERING MAY FAIL

Description : It is possible that the connections at the intermediate shaft and sliding yoke of the steering column may become loose and if the symptoms are ignored steering control can be lost.

Remedial Action : Recall the vehicles that are likely to be affected and replace the steering intermediate shaft. In addition, inspect the sliding yoke and intermediate shaft extension and replace if necessary. This recall is staggered starting with Prius and Corrolla. Avensis customer letters will be sent out over the next three months

Hi Steve

There's a possibility that one of the pinch bolts that secure the U/J yoke to its shaft is not correctly torqued. That does not mean that it is loose. I've done a few of these recalls and I've not found one that would tighten any more. The symptoms of a loose U/J yoke are:- initially a click as the steering wheel is loaded either side, progressively getting heavier and louder until it becomes a clunk; in extreme cases the steering wheel would have excessive free play before any movement occured at the front wheels. Most drivers would have been alarmed enough to investigate the click, before it became a clunk. You can also take heart from the fact that any loss of steering is going to occur during parking when the assistance is high, the speed is low and the steering angles are high. The steering at speed is very lightly loaded and failures (on any vehicle) are very rare indeed. Hope this helps. Ray

Thanks ray reason i asked was cos i get a ratlle from the base of the steering column say when going over bumps or underload, but was told by dealer this normal and all avensis' do it. The dealer did run my vin number via toyotas database and it came back clear. This would be 6 months ago or so now, i said i heard about the recall, there answer was if the steering was working loose it would be more than a slight rattle. In the end they said it was chattering gears in the power steering motor. I just wanted my mind put at ease has they draged there feet on a engine change in my old corolla, and i felt like i was being fobbed off.

Hi Steve

Some of the early (new shape) Avensis did suffer from a rattle in the steering. It was traced to the power steering motor reduction gears where there was too much backlash (play). All gears need a certain amount of backlash to prevent binding, but this was excessive. There was a fix for cars under warranty, I did one or two myself, but then the later cars had the fix at the factory. I would have thought that if you had warranty left they would have been pleased to change the motor for you. If you have no warranty left you could go the route of customer relations, you may get it half price or even other concesions. By no means do all Avensis make this rattle, there is a fix. If you still get "fobbed off" post back and I'll look for the relevant Technical Information and give you the number so they can look it up for themselves. Regards Ray

Only vehicles with electrical power steering are affected. For the Avensis this is only valid for the 1.8 L.

My friends 2.2td just been recalled. so not just the 1.8 then.

Took my car in to Davies Toyota Stafford yesterday for the recall. Came away with the fix, a bottle of Baron Albert Champagne, and £10 of petrol. Cheers Mr T. :thumbsup:

Took my car in to Davies Toyota Stafford yesterday for the recall. Came away with the fix, a bottle of Baron Albert Champagne, and £10 of petrol. Cheers Mr T. :thumbsup:

Wow, is that standard recall goodwill? :toast:

Just like Dane, I was given a bottle of champagne, tenner of petrol, and the car was washed.

Funny thing is that I never received any letter from Toyota re steering. My car was in for its 20k service, and they mentioned when I dropped off the keys that they had carried out a check of the steering.

My wife's 03 plate is going in soon for the steering check....Another bottle of Champers would be most welcome.

Got my car fixed today; the dealer said that the practice was now to change the part, irrespective if it needed to be. They changed the steering intermediate shaft.

Unfortunately I didn't get a bottle of champagne, car washed or £10 of petrol! :(

Unfortunately I didn't get a bottle of champagne, car washed or £10 of petrol! :(

I would get on to Mr T. straight away and ask why others have received this 'thank you' and you haven't.

Mr T. is footing the bill, not the dealers.

I would get on to Mr T. straight away and ask why others have received this 'thank you' and you haven't.

Mr T. is footing the bill, not the dealers.

took my t3x into inchscape, Burton on trent came away with the fix,complete valet and wash,£10 of petrol and a bottle of Baron Albert could not of been looked after any better.

Hi Ray, inspite the fact that I see with delay your post, I would like to thank you for your technical precision.

I am from Romania I have an Avensis 1.8 Sol Auto on petrol since 2003 and 43.000Km now. I encountered several problems after 30.000 Km, assumed by Toyo as design faults, all of them being changed under warranty as: Sup. back arms, mist in the front lamp, Battery, steering collumn, admission gallery, steering couple(as you mention too), now after 1,9 years again the Battery. I begin to be warried what will happend after the warranty expires, how much I have to spent for the maintenance. May be you can explain to me or if you heard the same problems I will be happy to know what's happend with this car. java script:emoticon(':help:', 'smid_12')

Thank's, gabi

my car in for fix with rack

hope i get £10 petrol and a bottle of champs and a wash

no letter from toyota but garage checked the chassis number

good garage bad toyota uk!!!!!!

I'm miffed now. Seems everyone else got a "standard" gesture from their Toyota dealer of Champange, valet/wash and £10, for the inconvenience of the recall, except me, or those that went to Western Toyota in Edinburgh. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who received the gesture from Western Toyota. There's even a mention and praise of the gesture in "Honest John's" article in the Saturday Telegraph today.

I'm going to contact Western Toyoat to see why they didn't do it.

I'm going to contact Western Toyoat to see why they didn't do it.

Too right D! I use Western Toyota at the Gyle and I was very much less than impressed with their sales staff. I've been going there for years and only recently been disappointed with them when I wanted to try out a new 2 Litre. They fobbed me off with a crappy old 2 Litre (the salesman apparently didn't know the 2007 2 litres were a different engine!). Despite booking an appointment, the car was not ready and had a flat Battery. The brakes snatched too. When I broached the subject of buying a car off the Internet I got some bullsh*t which wasn't true.

Funnily enough the salesman at the Cameron Toll Western Toyota was much better.

Hope you get your Champers and tenner.