Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malfunction Indicator Lamp

bobbarnes

This indicator light has just come on. Does anyone have any experience with this ?

The car seems to be performing normally. I've had no problems in the 13 ( !?! ) months

of ownership and it had its 3rd year intermediate service a month a go.

Go to toyota service maybe?

I know I did so, and it was something stupid.. like minor electronical mix up.

Did thay charge for a minor fix like that ?

I can see this turning out to be a right pain.

Phoned the dealer and although they'll take my money for servicing they're not equipped

to run diagnostics on the car. Told me I had to go halfway across London to another one

of their dealerships.

:angry:

Well I've been quoted 100 quid from Jemca just to check the code.

Anyone know if these things come on because the service interval has been reached ?

Well I've been quoted 100 quid from Jemca just to check the code.

Anyone know if these things come on because the service interval has been reached ?

the MIL light doesnt come on if service interval is reached. it only comes on if a Fault Code is pending. It means the the oboard computer has detected a fault. just to get the code read by the dealer costs an arm and a leg. personally i'd recommend buying a home scanner or a cable and read the fault code yourself and then you can pay to have the fault repaired rather than paying for the code to be read and then paying for the repair.

I think you're right. I ended up going to a local garage and payed 40 quid. Mind you it took three different

testers before the mechanic could make the connection to the computer. Maybe the the codes for the 2.0 D-4D are not that widespread. Just a guess.

Anyway it was a fault on one of the glow plugs which he said might or might not be a "real fault". He cleared the error and it didn't come again on this morning which considering it was fairly cold looks like a good sign.

Apparently it will cost 160 to replaced the glow plugs which sounds a bit high .. ?

Well it's back on. :(

I have a PC. Anyone know any good OBD software I could install to double check this for myself before forking out for a repair ?

I also understand that I'd need a USB to Serial converter.

Just had a look at their website and looks interesting. Did you get the full package or just the software. Also, I noticed that they said newer than 2004 for diesel and I've got a 2003 D-4D. I guess I'll have to check with them.

Just had a look at their website and looks interesting. Did you get the full package or just the software. Also, I noticed that they said newer than 2004 for diesel and I've got a 2003 D-4D. I guess I'll have to check with them.

works fine, i've got a 2002 corolla and works fine. as long as you have the correct OBDII cable then you should have a problem

works fine, i've got a 2002 corolla and works fine. as long as you have the correct OBDII cable then you should have a problem

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have avensis 1999 car runs fine but Malfunction indicator lamp is showing, does anyone know how can I get the code Please. I thing this car does not have OBDII fitted.

• 2 years later...

Hi All

I have a 2005 corolla and have the same fault as above.

I took the car to the garage and had a diagnostics test performed. The result shown it was a fault with the heater plugs. The mechanic checked them and said they were working fine, after the diagnostics test the lamp went out.

5 days passed and the malfunction indicator lamp came on again. I disconnected the Battery and left the car for 65 minutes. Reconnected the Battery and this knocked the lamp out.

3 more days passed and again the same problem. I repeated the Battery procedure and the light has gone off again. It’s really bugging me now and I would really appreciate any help in finding a permanent fix to this problem.

Many Thanks

Don B