Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Wheel Locks

Kev Mc

Now that I've got a more nickable car I'm starting to think about security & what to buy that might put people off. I've always had a stoplock original which I've seen professionals snap off in literally a couple of seconds but the way I saw it was professionals wouldn't be looking at a 1 Litre Yaris & it might put off the amateurs.

I've been looking at locks that cover the whole steering wheel, I'm guessing they're harder to break into? This lock looks pretty hardcore, I'm liking the fact that Thatcham couldn't get it off after 5 minutes, they're pretty well priced. Can any1 recommend this or any others?

Thanks all :thumbsup:

I always feel that this sort of thing advertises that you have possibly got something they would want, and it just draws attention to the car. In the time it takes to ft some of them you could pop the bonnet and remove the coil lead.

I have a Stoplock X-Cel, had it about a year now.

its very good!! takes me 2 seconds to get it off and about 4 to get it on so much faster than taking the coil lead off, i live in brighton with car parked on the street and touch wood have had nothing happen to my car, 2 cars have been nicked in my road this year and at least 10 brake ins, my girl friends got broke in to twice this year! I think my car would be a joy riders dream if it were not for the x-cel as has no alarm, and has its standard 18 year old sercurity, a key. it also folds up very cleverly in to its compact carry case which has velcro on the bottom to stop it sliding about the carpet in your car boot/passanger footwell. its very strong and well made with a very good lock

hope that helps mate

In the time it takes to ft some of them you could pop the bonnet and remove the coil lead.

but remember to bring some swarfega to get rid of any oil/grimmage on your hands after unless ur a mech or dont wash anyhow...

and also remember to fit 'eyes in the back of your head' unless you can delead ur car in less time than it takes a practiced !Removed! to swing a jemmy at the back of your head....

personally speaking i got one of those type of locks and it takes 20 seconds to get off and stow(with the keys lol) and 20 seconds to put back on... believe theyre enough to deter anyone who doesnt have time and seclusion with power tools to get one off ...

end of the day if a certain type of thief wants your car theyre gonna have it but at least stuff like that makes your car less vulnerable to some types.... makes me feel safer about leaving mine anyhow :)

I remember when we were at a meet in Bath a while back Rob (Jax) lost the keys to his. That was a Disklock I think, the yellow ones.

He couldn't get it off nor the RAC and they ended up using an angle grinder at a local garage which took ages so I guess they are pretty good! Just don't lose your key :rolleyes:

B)-->

QUOTE(Gareth B @ Nov 21 2006, 12:10 AM)

I remember when we were at a meet in Bath a while back Rob (Jax) lost the keys to his. That was a Disklock I think, the yellow ones.

He couldn't get it off nor the RAC and they ended up using an angle grinder at a local garage which took ages so I guess they are pretty good! Just don't lose your key :rolleyes:

I have one of those......................good, but the downside is that they are a bit large to store when not in use

Steering wheel locks are worth their weight in Gold.

If I was a Pikey and saw five cars parked in line, the last one I would try to steal would be one with a visual steering wheel lock.

My advice should be “Don’t buy one” as it means your car would get nicked or attempted to be nicked as suppose to mine.

The fewer people that have them the better (for me!)

I have the Auto Lock 2000, none of my neighbours have a visual steering deterrent, enough said... :thumbsup:

Get a disklok!!! They come in silver now aswell!!!! lol

They are thatcham approved and a pain in the ar se to get off without a key, they have been up there for years and are still the best! £70 well invested IMHO!

Over and out!

I know this doesnt help the poster but for mk2 mr2 owners ...the xcel carry case with velcro fits behind the passenger seat on the little container shelf really well and its a good place to reach for stowing and using...

it just destroys a bit of the lid cover through velcroization if you try to remove the carrycase at all lol without the velcro its snuggly :thumbsup:

Kev get a disclock around £70 from Halfords :thumbsup:

i've got a silver one on the yaris and a yellow on the micra :yes:

i remember a post over on LMR chatting about evo's getting nicked from santa pod,

the ones with the disclocks wasnt touched however the ones without dissapeared.

i agree with tvor if a scumbag has a choice of car with or without,

he'll most likely go for the without as its the easier option for him .