Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Rear Speaker

JoeRV

I have a 06 Reg Aygo Sport 3dr. Like most people. my only major criticism of the car is the audio. I had a new Yaris as a courtesy car while I was having some work done to the Aygo and it is 100 times better.

Anyway, I am looking to replace the rear Speakers. I believe they are 100mm cones. Basically, I want to replace the speaker and thats it. I don't want to shelf mount them or add any more. I just need to know how to remove the speaker and install the new one.

Does anyone know how to do this? Does it involve removing panels in the back of the car? I have has a look at the Toyota Accessory Installation Manual site and I cant find how to do it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Joe

There's a PDF on the Toyota Tech Doc site describing

how to install the tweeters and rear Speakers, that

should give you an idea of what you're up against.

Download the PDF by right-clicking HERE and choosing "Save As..."

IMHO it's all very clear, so I can't understand you can't find it...

Thanks for that. I have had a look at that and Im not sure it really answers my question. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't that manual tell you how to install Speakers if there were none to start with. Obviously, you have to remove the rear panels if there arent any Speakers to start with because you have to cut holes for them.

I have had a good look at the speaker and I get the impression that all I need to do is pull the grille off and there should be some screws to remove the old speaker. I then unscrew the old one and put the new one in its place. But, I would like someone to confirm that before I start pulling at the grille and ruin them.

As an alternative, I would be interested in the Official Toyota Subwoofer. Does anyone know how much that is?

Cheers

I believe the Toyota Subwoofer is about £200 and is said to be not that good...

Because of that (and the price) I'm looking at buying an Alpine SWD-1600;

they pop up on eBay quite often for about £80 to £120,

and gives a better sound accoring to "the experts"...

As for the speakers; looking at the AIM (page 13 for the 3drs, page 15 for the 5drs),

the image in the top right corner, you pop or pry off the grille/mesh exposing two

screws. Undo those and the bezel comes off and gives you access to the speaker.

On a personal note: why bother with the REAR Speakers???

Sound should come from the front for the best "staging"...

I've turned the fader WAY forward, so my music

sounds like the performer is standing on the hood...

At a concert, did you ever see any Speakers behind you?

You raise a valid point! In my experience, the front Speakers in cars have always been small low output Speakers designed for the treble, whereas the rear Speakers have been larger and designed for the bass. What I intend to do is replace the rear speakers with some 2 or 3 way cones so that they carry the bass better. Then set the fader slightly more to the back so that the front speakers cut the treble. This has always sounded pretty good in every car I have ever had. I do have a box with 2 6x9s in and that has always been louder than most subwoofers... problem is, it is bigger than my boot.

I will have a look at the manual and see what's what.

Thanks for your help

What about installing 14 or 16cm Speakers in the rear panels. I have installed some Infinity Speakers in the rear and Pioneer in the front with a JVC head unit and still suffer from lack of bass.

I've come to the conclusion 10cm Speakers don't produce good levels of bass.

Has anyone else upped the rear speaker sizes?

i put pioneer Speakers in the place of the rear Speakers but had to enlarge a bit the hole! still got the factory like fit tough :thumbsup:

as for base i bought a pioneer bandpass box:

thumb.jpg

ande you can be sure that you have enough bass :thumbsup:

Well, I have learnt the hard way how to install new Speakers.

Remove the grill with somehing thin and pointy (I used a fork). That will reveal two screws. Unscrew them and the Speakers come out. The problem is that the existing holes for the Speakers are too big for the screws. This means you will not be able to get them back in unless you take the panel off and bolt them in place! So don't do it unless you're sure you want to replace them because you will have to screw them in to the panel.

So, soon enough, I will be taking the panel off to put the speakers pack in place! I've decided to go along the subwoofer route.

A few people have mentioned that there is an official Toyota one but according to my local dealer, there isn't one. Does anyone have more info?

The problem is that the existing holes for the speakers are too big for the screws.

That's correct, there's two little backing plates in which the

screws grip. They probably feel down when you undid everything...

Have a look in the PDF I mentioned earlier, it's part "E" and you can see

how they're fitted on page 13 for 3drs annd 15 for 5drs, top right picture...

I've decided to go along the subwoofer route.

A few people have mentioned that there is an official Toyota one but

according to my local dealer, there isn't one. Does anyone have more info?

Might differ per Country? On the Dutch Aygo.nl site there's

an accesory picker which DOES list the Subwoofer...

accesory-picker.jpg

Have your dealer lookup partnumber V00200-10002, maybe that'll help?

I do think it's a bit expensive, as at least Pioneer, Kenwood and Alpine

have small active subwoofers of their own that are less expensive

and sometimes feature more power, larger cones and/or a wired

remote for dailing in the settings for gain, LPF and phase...

from what iv heard the toyota sub is just so rubbish. for the price you pay you will hardly notice any differnce, sumone had one on here and was telling me how bad it was. Its a good space saver idea but there is a few subs for cheaper that are the same size and can be fitted the same. I know alpine do one for quite cheap probs worth havin a look at that before you go on to buy the toyota one.

Have a look at:

• Alpine SWD-1600
    SWD-1600.jpg
  • Pioneer TS-WX22A
    ts_wx22a_thumbnail.jpg
  • Kenwood KSC-SW1
    KSC-SW1.jpg
  • Kenwood KFC-WDA69RC
    KFC-WDA69RC.jpg

The last system is an external amplifier with two 6x9"s for fitting in the parcel shelf.

I'm currently doubting between the Alpine and the Pioneer, as I don't want to mount anything

in the parcel shelf and think the KFC-WDA69RC would be too large to fit under a seat.

I'll probably go with the Alpine for pricing...

the way the parcel shelf has been designed you'll need to either buy or build sum sort of mount for them beacuse they wont fit into the groves. The flat Kenwood one seems like it would a good spacesave for the boot but i dunno how deep the bass will be cos of the how slim it is.

I think with stuff like that you've never really going to get the true sound of a good speaker in a sub box.

But i guess if you need your space then these should be cool.

I've seen some other people mention the Alpine SWD 1600 and it does look rather impressive. I can buy one locally for £99. Halfords want £149 for one. Does anyone know what is entailed in fitting one? Does the Aygo standard head unit have the right connection for the subwoofer. I presume that with it being a powered amp, it needs a connection to the Battery or wiring loom.

Has anyone ever fitted one themselves or paid for professional installation?

as far as im aware it'll probs be the same as any sub.

1. You'll need a power cable running to the batterty (easy acessible though the gromit thing in the driver footwell)

2. A ground/earth cable, just wired to any where on the unpainted car chassy.

3. Remote on wire, from the back of the head unit.

4. some way to get a signal to the amp from the head unit. The standard aygo one doesnt have any RCA outputs only the speaker ones so you might have to get some sort of converter or sumit.

You'll have to get some advice about what input the alpine sub has cos im not sure.

The standard aygo one doesnt have any RCA outputs only the speaker

ones so you might have to get some sort of converter or sumit.

Sorry, but that is NOT true! The Aygo radio DOES have lin-out,

only uses Mini-ISO connectors instead of the standard cinch-plugs...

There's one of these on the back of the radio:

isoc.gif

Inputs are the righthand set of pins:

C1 = line-out left rear

C2 = line-out ground

C3 = line-out right rear

C4 = line-out left front

C5 = antenna/remote +12V out

C6 = line out right front

I've posted the complete pinout HERE

You can get adapter leads from ISO to cinch:

376315_BB_00_FB.EPS.jpg

The yellow lead is the remote wire for powering up the amp with the radio.

You'll have to get some advice about what input the alpine sub has cos im not sure.

It sports line-level inputs as well as High-level inputs for connection to the speaker leads.

I'd recommend using the line-level, as those signals are usually

much "cleaner" as you'll have less components in the signal line.

If you were to use the high-level input, first the line-level in the radio would

be amped to speaker level, then after feeding it to the amp it would bring it

down to line-level internally before going to the subs internal amplifier...

• 1 year later...

The standard aygo one doesnt have any RCA outputs only the speaker

ones so you might have to get some sort of converter or sumit.

Sorry, but that is NOT true! The Aygo radio DOES have lin-out,

only uses Mini-ISO connectors instead of the standard cinch-plugs...

There's one of these on the back of the radio:

isoc.gif

Inputs are the righthand set of pins:

C1 = line-out left rear

C2 = line-out ground

C3 = line-out right rear

C4 = line-out left front

C5 = antenna/remote +12V out

C6 = line out right front

I've posted the complete pinout HERE

You can get adapter leads from ISO to cinch:

376315_BB_00_FB.EPS.jpg

The yellow lead is the remote wire for powering up the amp with the radio.

It sports line-level inputs as well as High-level inputs for connection to the speaker leads.

I'd recommend using the line-level, as those signals are usually

much "cleaner" as you'll have less components in the signal line.

If you were to use the high-level input, first the line-level in the radio would

be amped to speaker level, then after feeding it to the amp it would bring it

down to line-level internally before going to the subs internal amplifier...

Does this third block already have a connector going into it or is it free?

I want to find out if installing a sub (using line out) is as easy as plugging one of these connectors in or if I would have to unplug something from those pins...

I'm sorry to say that since November 2006 it's been determined that the factory radio does NOT have line-out.

I actually bought a service manual for the radio AND bought one to disect to find that out...

Maybe it's better if a moderator cleans up this thread to exclude my comments on the line-level outputs??

Well, I have learnt the hard way how to install new speakers.

Remove the grill with somehing thin and pointy (I used a fork). That will reveal two screws. Unscrew them and the speakers come out. The problem is that the existing holes for the speakers are too big for the screws. This means you will not be able to get them back in unless you take the panel off and bolt them in place! So don't do it unless you're sure you want to replace them because you will have to screw them in to the panel.

So, soon enough, I will be taking the panel off to put the speakers pack in place! I've decided to go along the subwoofer route.

A few people have mentioned that there is an official Toyota one but according to my local dealer, there isn't one. Does anyone have more info?

Are you only going to add a sub and not replace any of the standard Speakers???

Doing this will mean that the sub will be booming away and when you turn the sound up the rest of your Speakers will just !Removed! at you as they are only made from thin card, all standar Speakers are!, you need to change them all IMHO.

If you want some pointers on what to get and where from PM me.

Collin

I'm sorry to say that since November 2006 it's been determined that the factory radio does NOT have line-out.

I actually bought a service manual for the radio AND bought one to disect to find that out...

Maybe it's better if a moderator cleans up this thread to exclude my comments on the line-level outputs??

If it does not have line out is it still possible to use a sub which only accepts line in (eg- the alpine 1600) or would it be better to go for something which takes speaker input (eg- the blaupunkt 200a)?

If you want to use a sub with just line-level inputs you'd

need a convertor from speaker-level to line-level...

But AFAIK the Alpine SWD 1600 also has high-level inputs...

If you want to use a sub with just line-level inputs you'd

need a convertor from speaker-level to line-level...

But AFAIK the Alpine SWD 1600 also has high-level inputs...

Great cheers - I'm going to buy one, attempt to fit it and post back with some photos..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links