Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Ultimate Poll/debate

JappyBeast

Is there a GOD?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Is there a GOD?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

Has evolution been proven tho because there are a few missing links and some species have stopped... if we came from apes, why are there still apes?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JappyBeast

• Jimlad

• Boro Sera

• 1bloke1dog1mr2

Top Posters In This Topic

Has evolution been proven tho because there are a few missing links and some species have stopped... if we came from apes, why are there still apes?

yes mate its been documented in many reference books, all of which can be found at your local library

the reason why primates still exist... why are there different type of birds? Why do some mammals dwell in the sea?

The gene pool divided at one stage and evolved in a different way

I believe in Evolution tho, species adapting to changes in the environment, its documented that human heads are getting bigger and our toes are getting smaller.

OK. I`ve got two takes on this one.

1/ I was brought up as a practising Christian. CofE school, Sunday school, Confirmation and all that goes with that. Although i had a strong christian grounding, i was never what you could call devout.

2/ I learnt all about Darwins theory of Evolution. Pre dating JC by several million years - I had to question the authenticity of the testaments.

Conclusion. I no longer believe in a Christian god or religion per se. I don`t believe that their is an Almighty creator of the Universe.

However i have watched every episode of StarTrek the next generation and i do believe in ............ The Borg. :rolleyes:

On a serious note. I firmly believe that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and i respect their choice(s) So as Dave Allen would say "May your God go with you". :yes:

*Footnote*

Come the day of reckoning - If i`m wrong i`m willing to retract some of the above. ;)

Why do men have nipples?

Every embryo is female up until around so many weeks of development (so at one point in your life you were a woman) when sexual orientation developes... as this is genetic, if the male hormone gene is stronger than the standing female gene the embryo will develope as male...

why do you have nipples... heres a metaphorical explanation using cars

think of a base model car and a top of the range car.... top of the range car has aircon, bottom of the range doesnt...

but in the bottom of the range car, there are blanks on the dash board where the aircon switch should be...

why is every embryo potentially female? Because nature needs a way to reporduce, didnt 'god' put man on the earth first?

Could this be relevant?.......

On the first day, God created the dog and said:

"Sit all day by the door of your house and bark at anyone who comes in or walks past. For this, I will give you a life span of twenty years."

The dog said: "That's a long time to be barking. How about only ten years and I'll give you back the other ten?" So God agreed.

On the second day, God created the monkey and said: "Entertain people, do tricks, and make them laugh. For this, I'll give you a twenty-year life span."

The monkey said: "Monkey tricks for twenty years? That's a pretty long time to perform. How about I give you back ten like the Dog did?"

And God agreed.

On the third day, God created the cow and said: "You must go into the field with the farmer all day long and suffer under the sun, have calves and give milk to support the farmer's family. For this, I will give you a life span of sixty years." The cow said: "That's kind of a tough life you want me to live for sixty years. How about twenty and I'll give back the other forty?"

And God agreed again.

On the fourth day, God created man and said: "Eat, sleep, play, marry and enjoy your life. For this, I'll give you twenty years."

But man said: "Only twenty years? Could you possibly give me my twenty, the forty the cow gave back, the ten the monkey gave back, and the ten the dog gave back; that makes eighty, okay?"

"Okay," said God, "You asked for it."

So that is why the first twenty years we eat, sleep, play and enjoy ourselves. For the next forty years we slave in the sun to support our family. For the next ten years we do monkey tricks to entertain the grandchildren. And for the last ten years we sit on the front porch and bark at everyone.

Life has now been explained to you.

OK. I`ve got two takes on this one.

1/ I was brought up as a practising Christian. CofE school, Sunday school, Confirmation and all that goes with that. Although i had a strong christian grounding, i was never what you could call devout.

2/ I learnt all about Darwins theory of Evolution. Pre dating JC by several million years - I had to question the authenticity of the testaments.

etc...

Likewise, the same sort of background.

Christian upbringing, Dad was Irish, so very strong Catholic background.

Catholic school, where we were fed mush about "God" in R.E classes, and then walked down the corridor to our Science lessons, to learn about evolution, the big bang theory, etc...

It's all a load of bull IMO, and I'm one of those that thinks along the lines of Religion being the root of all evil.

My Sundays are now much better spent on a motorbike/ in the garage...

I believe in Evolution tho, species adapting to changes in the environment, its documented that human heads are getting bigger and our toes are getting smaller.

We're all gona end up falling over in about 1million years... giant heads and no toes!!!

Think we need to have a drunken discussion about this at new year!!

Don't know where I stand on this at all.

I always thought there was a god (I was even an alter boy when I was young!)

then all of a sudden I had a think about it and changed my mind!

My better half is very sure in her mind that there is a god and trys to convince me of the same thing

but then there's Jim who put the doubt in my head in the first place purely by saying what his take on it is!

So I'm very much on the fence at the moment and will probably always be an "I don't know" person...

The bible in my opinion is indeed flawed with inaccuracies, but the bible was written by man, not god. So saying proving that the bible is incorrect, therefore proves God does not exist is incorrect also.

But then again, who is saying that if there is a god/an almighty being, it is necessarily the one the christians wrote about?

Thing is, no one will ever know the truth, so there cannot be any right or wrong, just opinions, speculations and beliefs............

And as Dak said come the day of reckoning - If i'm wrong i'm willing to retract some of the above :lol:

As Mr. Spock would say... fascinating. :P

I believe in God but I am also a scientist. I find it amazing that it has been written here about true Christians not believing in evolution. Sorry, that's just not the case. Most Christians believe in the evolution of the species. It is only Creationists who hold dear to the belief of God creating the World exactly as is described in The Bible. Same goes for Adam and Eve. It is an allegory and not intended to be taken literally. Like, 40 days and 40 nights represents a long time, not an exact period of time.

Of course, part of the problem stems from many of us not knowing much about anyone else's beliefs or religions. Often we get it quite wrong.

Interestingly, I've been covering the Big Bang theory in school over the last week. Even taking God out of the equation, it is an almost impossible idea to conceive, most people having trouble with the idea of all the matter in the Universe suddenly appearing in "nowhere" and time beginning at that instant.

That in itself, requires some sort of belief system, religious or not. :yes:

I often wonder how many people who don't believe in God actually believe in UFOs and extra terrestrial life.........with nothing more than faith to back it up

I've seen pictures of UFO's etc.... alright.. they might not be real. But for me there's more chance of Aliens existing than a god.

Anyone seen mock pictures of god/jesus walking about the countryside??

I always find it funny when these converstaions crop up. I think what annoys me though is the initial comments of "Be careful here" "Seen these turn sour" etc.

This is where we seem to lose our freedom of speech. This is where everyone else creates religious, racial, sexist, elitist tension because everytime a group of people get together and want to chat about a subject we all worry.

Can we not just accept other people have views. politcal, relgious anything.

I dont believe in a god but have spoken to many that do. One of the most facinating religious conversations I ever had was about 15 years ago with a muslim guy I worked with. This as you can imagine was before all the tension that has been created by people insisting we step away from these conversations. His views and beliefs and views were not that disimillar to most from the christian faith. He had strong views on looking after the elders, leading a good honest life and working hard. This upon his death would enable his afterlife to be a comfortable and happy one whilst waiting for the day where the dead will rise.

I personally dont believe all of these types of things but he did and i respect that. Ultimately if the youth of today had these views (the muslim guy was 16) would we have so much crime on the streets, cars being stolen and old ladys being mugged in their own homes. Perhaps not.

On a lighter note, I had to try and explain to my 12 year old nephew what a virgin was, why mary was one and how come she gave birth to Jesus earlier tonight. Try and get out of that one. :)

I've seen pictures of UFO's etc.... alright.. they might not be real. But for me there's more chance of Aliens existing than a god.

Anyone seen mock pictures of god/jesus walking about the countryside??

I saw his face on a piece of Toast on eBay .......... is that proof?? :blink:

I often wonder how many people who don't believe in God actually believe in UFOs and extra terrestrial life.........with nothing more than faith to back it up

Having faith does not have to mean being religious - like i have faith that all humans can be good to each other, doesn mean i pray to a 'god' that this will be true

I always find it funny when these converstaions crop up. I think what annoys me though is the initial comments of "Be careful here" "Seen these turn sour" etc.

This is where we seem to lose our freedom of speech. This is where everyone else creates religious, racial, sexist, elitist tension because everytime a group of people get together and want to chat about a subject we all worry.

Can we not just accept other people have views. politcal, relgious anything.

I dont believe in a god but have spoken to many that do. One of the most facinating religious conversations I ever had was about 15 years ago with a muslim guy I worked with. This as you can imagine was before all the tension that has been created by people insisting we step away from these conversations. His views and beliefs and views were not that disimillar to most from the christian faith. He had strong views on looking after the elders, leading a good honest life and working hard. This upon his death would enable his afterlife to be a comfortable and happy one whilst waiting for the day where the dead will rise.

I personally dont believe all of these types of things but he did and i respect that. Ultimately if the youth of today had these views (the muslim guy was 16) would we have so much crime on the streets, cars being stolen and old ladys being mugged in their own homes. Perhaps not.

On a lighter note, I had to try and explain to my 12 year old nephew what a virgin was, why mary was one and how come she gave birth to Jesus earlier tonight. Try and get out of that one. :)

Im glad somebodt else agrees that we as a society have created the problems regarding religion, and good luck in explaining that to a 12 year old - just do what my parents did , say 'youll find out when your older' :P :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links