Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Soarer Question!

Jimlad

WHat's the deal with these soarers??

The 2.5 TT ones.... about 300bhp stock are they not? Heard they have similar engines to the Supra TT.

At an old meet there was a totally tarted up one that easily held it's own with a BPU supra.

Anyone know anything about them??

Considering possibly a 2.5TT manual. Also, what sort of space is there in the back, any? Or similar to the supra (none!)... lol.

ta

Its defo bigger in the back than the supra, from what I remember its got quite a good size rear bench.

Paul T is the man to ask about Soarers.....................and Aygo's :lol:

I've got one...........they are very nice..........

270bhp out of the box

manuals are rare

quite easy to get to 320/350

revs to 7000 rpm :D

cheap as chips now as well

Jim, Russ has one now, big on the outside, tiny on the inside, not much room in the back!

Same engine as the supra.

my mate buys and sells a lot of soarer's , i almost took one off his hands a month or so ago . we did 161mph in it on private land of course and it was scary but scarily easy . supra engines i believe , i'd buy your supra if it was manual - and a lil cheaper .

a manual for cheaper?? Imposs mate!.. lol

test drove one last week , considerably cheaper....well a bit ;)

mince colour though :( red supras suck .

mate you kidding me ?

Theres been a few about Glasgow over the last few months .

I've got about 5k just now and a celica to possibly p/x and for that i should get a decent tt manual .

Prices are low as ever for them now .

The one i went to see was in Kilmarnock , red tt manual £5995 it was about 90thou miles on it .... i'm sure i have the advert saved here somewhere.....

Some of the import places in glasgow seem to be flogging them cheaper nowadays too as the 350z and skyline become more popular.

Hey morning everybody!

Much as I'd like to waffle, check these links :D

Top Gear magazine says ...

Soarers on track in Oz

I took my TT on an airfield day at Abingdon a couple of weeks ago and it was a hoot. Plus now I have a shopping list to get the engine up to 400bhp+ all I need to do is earn the money :thumbsup:

I'd say a 160mph+ motor for £2k or less is a pretty good start. You need to get a good one or it will be expensive to fix, but otherwise the reliability seems very good and my local Toyota dealer has parts and will service it, even though it is an unofficial import.

Paul.

FFS... once again I lost an entire post because pop up blocker doesn't like the img feature on this forum style :(

The soarer engine IS a supra engine.... and a very good one too!!! Many would say it is better engineered then the later 2jz, although the 2jz is cheaper to tune as it is more mainstream.

To all intents and purposes a soarer is the same car as a supra, -they always have been. I think of it more as the "executive" supra.... possibly a little more grown up... the chassis is cery similar, although slightly stiffer at the rear on the soarer as it doesn't have a huge rear hatch hole to detract from the rigidity, - they slightly longer wheelbase also makes the car more stable, -which is why you see many drift soarers, and hardly any supras. The boot is much bigger... and the rear seats a little better.

They come in three different engine flavours, 4.0V8, 3.0 N/a (2jz-ge -same as a mkiv n/a) and 1jz-gte (2.5 TT) all three are totally diffrent beasts!

I have had two (JZ-30) 2.5s, great cars... I had my first one in '99 when no one knew what they were (many still don't!) I must say it really did suprise many people.. (mainly supra, m3 and 911 owners lol) they are hugely underated cars!

I think I want a soarer again.... but I want to go for a GZ-20 as I think they are even more of a unkown/sleaper.

MkII%20Soarer%20TT.jpg

2375412_1_full.jpg

Some of you may recognise this one (especially prolex lol)... Its owned by the chap I got my Blitz turbos off :D

Saying as Leeky has nicked my V8 mkii idea. I might have to do a V8 *Z-20.. whaddya think? :D

They also made an "aero cabin" version, with a folding metal roof... something mercedes "claimed" to have invented... optional extras on the '86 version included sat nav, folding metal roof, and active damping... quite ahead of its time!

You can also convert an auto to a manual :D - they use the same gearbox as a mkiii supra.

You can also convert an auto to a manual :D - they use the same gearbox as a mkiii supra.

How easy is that?

I want an aero-top but they only make them in auto.

How easy is that?

I want an aero-top but they only make them in auto.

have a shot in my car and it might change your mind on the auto front

Jim, I have seen a few manual Supra TT's for £5.5k one of them was in silver with 18's on it.

not being funny, but they can easily command prices of 9, 10, 12 K !!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1995-Toyota-Supra-RZ...1QQcmdZViewItem

If your getting a TT 6spd for that price, I'd be weary!! I've only ever seen one near that price, but it was an ex track car and had lived a hard life!

btw... you do know Auto's are faster right??

Unless your the stig, you can't change gears faster than the auto box can.

There are several advantages to the auto box but unfortunately there is a downside that they do sap a little more power than a manual and that does affect the 0.25 mile time.

However, you lose power but get more torque, so not all bad. It is pretty easy to get a very quick start away from the traffic lights with an auto Supra/Soarer and in a way when you are on the track the power might be more accessible than a manual.

Of the 280bhp at the 1JZ flywheel, about 200 of those get to the rear wheels. Not sure what the equivalent is for the Supra manual, but maybe 10-15bhp more?

The Soarer box will change into first all the way up to 40mph or so if you put your foot down, so you only have to wait about 0.5sec then the shove is excellent. Upshifts are quickish, but you can make them faster (and more aggressive) by a small mechanical mod to the gearbox.

I spoke to some of the mk4 Soop owners at a Reading Jap meet a while ago and one of the guys with a manual was almost wishing he'd got an auto instead. I tried the manual gearbox and it's easy to see the problem---it's a good solid box but a bit stiff and clunky. In stop/go traffic I think all but the most hardcore enthusiast would get fed up.

Supras with the 2JZ engines go well with a manual box, but the Soarer with its faster-revving but lower torque 1JZ probably does its best work with the auto.

Maybe another consideration is that these cars aren't getting any younger and the auto box takes a bit of the stress off the engine and transmission. I would expect engines coupled to an auto to last longer than those next to a manual.

If you wanted more speed, you could try and swap an auto box for a manual, but given that they can take up to 400bhp+ in stock form I think you would be better off spending your money on engine and exhaust mods to get the power up :D

MkII%20Soarer%20TT.jpg

That's a great-looking car!

Paul.

There are several advantages to the auto box but unfortunately there is a downside that they do sap a little more power than a manual and that does affect the 0.25 mile time.

It is pretty easy to get a very quick start away from the traffic lights with an auto Supra/Soarer and in a way when you are on the track the power might be more accessible than a manual.

The Soarer box will change into first all the way up to 40mph or so if you put your foot down, so you only have to wait about 0.5sec then the shove is excellent. Upshifts are quickish, but you can make them faster (and more aggressive) by a small mechanical mod to the gearbox.

I spoke to some of the mk4 Soop owners at a Reading Jap meet a while ago and one of the guys with a manual was almost wishing he'd got an auto instead. I tried the manual gearbox and it's easy to see the problem---it's a good solid box but a bit stiff and clunky. In stop/go traffic I think all but the most hardcore enthusiast would get fed up.

Maybe another consideration is that these cars aren't getting any younger and the auto box takes a bit of the stress off the engine and transmission. I would expect engines coupled to an auto to last longer than those next to a manual.

I've been reading alot and live over at the MKIV forums. They tend to be of the opinion that a stock Auto will be a stock manual unless like I said, you are the stig, then obviously if you can get the gear changes spot on each time, then the manual will beat the auto.

What is the gearbox mod?? Is it feasable to be done on the Supra? What exactly is done?

For Jappy....

TBH, I've never really heard any supra owner who has an auto who wished they had got a manual. The auto is good... the only reason I would want a manual is if I was heavily into track days etc.

I used to own a 2.5TT manual.. very rare

very fun car to drive and is almost practical.. I have held 4 adults in this car very easily.. has a good boot for pram too ;)

Its not small on the inside because the driver and passenger has bags of room!!!

Very quick might i add... many people ate my dust as my rear lights faded into the distance :)

For Jappy....

TBH, I've never really heard any supra owner who has an auto who wished they had got a manual. The auto is good... the only reason I would want a manual is if I was heavily into track days etc.

Its a personal choice for me Jim, I dont like automatic cars.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links