Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sky Plus

GIDDLEPIN

We upgraded to Sky + not so long ago so I thought a little review might be appropriate

For £99.00 you get the Sky + box including fitting then it costs £10 a month after that

The system was fitted fairly easily and seemed to be working fine, record one programme while watching another, 40 hours record time live pause etc.

The first night we used it we noticed a click-click-click, all the time it was switched on, as the unit is in the bedroom it was soon apparent that the noise was spoiling the viewing (unless you turned up the volume), recording through the night was a definite no-no as it became as annoying as a Chinese water torture.

After a few days I rang the customer help line and was told to try a re-boot, this worked for about two hours then it was back with a vengeance.

Another call to Sky and an engineer was booked to check the problem.

A week later when the engineer arrived he listened to it and said “Oh yes there’s a fault with them, they all do that”, he then brought in a box which I thought was a new replacement but was in fact an older, second hand reconditioned model. I thought he was leaving it while the new one was repaired but he told me that this was the normal procedure when they break down, unfortunately the unit he used for replacement was also faulty so another second hand system was fitted, this seemed to work ok but I wasn’t satisfied to be getting a used unit after only two weeks and after calling customer services I was told in no uncertain terms to “Take it or leave it!” Within a week of using the reconditioned box it began cutting out at random times so after several emails and more phone calls an engineer was again sent out. He arrived today so the first thing I asked was what replacement he had brought and it was…….You’ve guessed, a second hand reconditioned unit!!!

Guess what?

We don’t have Sky + any more :rolleyes:

I've had loads of hassle with sky!!

We moved to a new area and transferred sky to the new property.

Engineer came out to say we could get it, but it would need to be a 2man team to do it.

The engineers came out and straight away said we couldn't get sky becuase we have some very high trees very close to us.

Phones sky again and more engineers came out. Without even trying to see if they could get a signal, they drilled a hole in the living room for the cable (in a stupid place!!), then after faffing about for the whole day decided their meter was broken and would have to come another day.

Next time someone came (different person), after 20mins they said we couldn't get sky because of the trees!!

This took about a month in total. A month we were still paying for sky, but not receiving any sky!! It took ALOT of arguments and phone calls to even get that money back!!!

They do suck!

I've not given up on sky yet... gonna see if I can stick a dish on a neighbours fence (back of the house).

Thing is I asked them to take the Sky + box back and they said it would be £65 to remove and I should just keep or get rid of it, it works fine as a reciever so I'll leave it where it is :yes:

and I'm getting my £99 back :thumbsup:

You could do two things.....

Threaten sky that you will cancel - usually gets 3 month half-price deal

Put a new hard drive in the skyplus box - 99/100 times its the hard drive that packs up in em

Dunno if you know but Sky+ have been on Watchdog loads recently, people with complaints about faulty boxes - some having up to 10 replacements!

I'm looking into getting Sky at the moment and Sky+ was my initial thought as we had it at the house and its so handy to be able to record your fave progs - I'm rarely in on a Sat night and I always miss Robin Hood & Strictly Come Dancing - to record them would be ideal for me, however I'm put off now because of all the issues with the boxes...

I only want it for the free broadband! :lol:

Might just settle for a free normal box with free installation and free broadband and buy a DVD recorder.... :unsure:

Might just settle for a free normal box with free installation and free broadband and buy a DVD recorder.... :unsure:

That would be the best route :thumbsup:

I think we will get a dvd recorder a bit later on, we can't use the Sky broadband though because of Kingston communications :ffs:

I think Johndcfc is right though, if you replace the HD not only will you get more space than the standard HD but they are also less likely to break down...

Our one at the house had a replacement larger HD so perhaps thats the reason we never had issue with it?

Other than that it might be worth upgrading again to a HD (High Def) Box as that utilises the Sky+ traits but is also HD so will look sexy if you have a high def telly....

I dont sadly! :lol:

The new LCD has all the freeview channels built in so it wouldn't be worth getting that system and the newer DVD recorders let you pause live TV the same anyway :thumbsup:

WE had a sky man come out to replace our dish....

he arrived, looked at the dish and said "I can't do this job" he needed special ladders as it was ina high place......

No **** sherlock, its a sky dish.... on the roof.......

I seem to have been very lucky then and its my opnion that sky + ROCKs!!!

The click click sounds like the hard drive **** up. We changed ours to a bigger one and its worked great ever since.

We also got a fimeware update (probably standard now while you can record two things at once, and watch something on your planner at the same time :D )

I have had 2 boxes mate. These have been brand new boxes as the engineer got them out of the box and unwrapped them.

I cant believe that they were giving you used one's :censor: Thats a dam cheek. Sky need to look after there customers better :thumbsup:

jerry!!