Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blocked Drains

GIDDLEPIN

Here are a couple of bits of preventative maintenance that will save a soggy interior and seized filler cap hinge.

The MkIII Roadster is prone to waterlogged interiors due to the clogging up of the two drain valves located behind the side engine vents.

You can check if these are clear by pulling the hood about half way back and looking down between the hood and body side near the engine intakes, if it looks dry then all is well but if you see a pool of water then likely as not the drain valves are blocked.

The side vent covers are easily removed with a little care and clearing the blockage is very easy.

While the nearside cover is off it is possible to access the filler cap hinge behind, this can then be lubricated which will prevent the inconvenience of not being able to fill up.

Here are the photographs I took while doing my car.

Hope it will be of help to some of you

Drains001.jpg

Drains002.jpg

Drains003.jpg

Drains004.jpg

Drains010.jpg

Drains012.jpg

Drains006.jpg

Drains007.jpg

Drains008.jpg

I think you should pin this one... maybe after you get a few replies congratulating you an a job well done though :lol:

Recently washed my roof and waterproofed for the coming winter season. Having glugged about for a day, I remembered about the drains either side. Having small hands I managed to get all the dry leaves and general crud out through the without having to remove the side vents.

Very useful tips here Giddlepin, agree with the drink too rhaines!!! :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Ahh, very handy guide.

I'm a new MR2 owner, picked up an 03 plate roadster about 3 months ago and after the recent heavy rain i noticed a small puddle of water in the storage compartments behind the seats - is this likely to be the cause?

Hey Soupy,

You might also notice that your windows are constantly misting up from condensation, specifically the side that the water is.

• 9 months later...

Hey folks,

I've just recently signed up to this forum after buying my 2000 mr-s about a month ago.

I too have this problem with the driver side luggage compartment filling up with what i can only assume as rain water.

I called Mr T and he said he'd fix it for £120....my *****.

So instead i'm gonna try valiantly this weekend with a friend to fix my problem with the help of the photos above. I'll let you know how i get on. I just thought i'd express my thanks for having this handy little forum that could potentially save me a little over a hundred bucks.

Many thanks!

Ross

• 4 years later...

I bought my 56 plate MR2 TF300 at Easter and shortly after noticed a small puddle in the well for the bonnet release. However after this recent spell of inclement summer weather I came back from two weeks holiday to the whole footwell (driver's side) swimming in water. Is this likely to be the cause? I mentioned the small leak when it was in to Toyota and the garage said they thought there was a weld that was leaking. They said they could strip out all the plastic under the bonnet and fix it but it would cost me nigh on £500 because it was a timely job!!! The hood is in fantastic condition and the door seals seem ok! Any suggestions would be great as this problem has really taken the shine off my new toy.

Hi Liz

I've said hi and replied to your post on the other forum, have you checked the window guide hasn't got trapped by the window and been squashed or bent against the rubber window seal on the windscreen pillar?

I found a bit of water on the floor of mine right where you say and mine was caused by the bent guide?

Thanks Chris unfortunately yeah i have checked the window guide and it is ok too! I've now had the side vents off and they are clear too! Pulling my hair out with this one. Behind the drivers seat seems to worse although the floor seems to fall away slightly here so could just be gravity! Anyone have any great ways of stripping out the interior as I can't see an easy way of doing it?

A soon to be bald Roadster owner :wacko:

If your cars not moved the leak can't be coming up from below so you shouldn't need to remove the carpets. Can you feel / see any damp up above the carpets, under the dash anywhere or feel anything where the carpets rise up the sides of the footwell?

Failing that I think you need to sit in the car while it's raining or while someone sprays it with a hose and have a good look/feel around?

If there is a bad weld under the bonet somewhere (I doubt it) and they are going to charge you £500 just because of the time it takes to remove the front plastics then that's rubbish, it doesnt take long and you could do it yourself, it's just a series of plastic popper rivets you need to remove the spare tyre bin stays in place.

Your best bet is to post up your findings/questions on the other forum, there really isn't much activity on here and I rarely check it

:)

• 4 years later...
On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2012 at 5:38 PM, Aki-MR2 said:

If your cars not moved the leak can't be coming up from below so you shouldn't need to remove the carpets. Can you feel / see any damp up above the carpets, under the dash anywhere or feel anything where the carpets rise up the sides of the footwell?

Failing that I think you need to sit in the car while it's raining or while someone sprays it with a hose and have a good look/feel around?

If there is a bad weld under the bonet somewhere (I doubt it) and they are going to charge you £500 just because of the time it takes to remove the front plastics then that's rubbish, it doesnt take long and you could do it yourself, it's just a series of plastic popper rivets you need to remove the spare tyre bin stays in place.

Your best bet is to post up your findings/questions on the other forum, there really isn't much activity on here and I rarely check it

:)

I am a new member and I have very recently purchased a 2003 MRS MKIII spider this is my first post you and several others say and I quote: "Your best bet is to post up your findings/questions on the other forum, there really isn't much activity on here and I rarely check it" please can you tell me what the other forum is to get a better response to any future questions I might have I though the post by gigglepin was great this will be my first job, I reside in South Australia and any help from experienced people like yourself would be very valuable. thanks.