• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 lindholme

lindholme

• Registered Member
  • 5 posts
  • Toyota Model: Avensis 2.2 D4-D T-Sprit Wagon 2007

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:40 PM

Hi all, newbie here. Nice to meet you all.

Has anyone fitted xenon bulbs to their Avensis headlights, and if so do they make a worthwhile difference?

Cheers.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 shroud

shroud

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Toyota Model: avensis

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:40 PM

Hi all, newbie here. Nice to meet you all.

Has anyone fitted xenon bulbs to their Avensis headlights, and if so do they make a worthwhile difference?

Cheers.

I just used the 30% brighter bulbs which do a great job (10). Doesn't xenon lights require an expensive upgrade ?

#3 jamesholden

jamesholden

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Toyota Model: 2003 Camry 3.0 V6 CDX Auto

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:29 AM

Geuine Xenon or HID costs a fortune to upgrade to because you need to upgrade the bulb holder to take the extra heat they produce, install and auto-levelling system and headlamp washers to make them legal.

Most cheap Xenon bulbs you see around are not real Xenon but slightly blue tinted standard bulbs that are a bit brighter.

#4 dawesy

dawesy

Midlands Meet Co-ordinator

• Super Moderator
  • 4,712 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: corolla gti 3S-GTE (RIP), 1994 Rev3 MR2 Turbo, 2010 Prius T Spirit

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:03 AM

you can get propper hid kits for around 150. and they dont need any extra mods. most kits are plug and play

#5 bjw

bjw

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Toyota Model: blank

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:50 AM

There is a known problem on the new Avensis concerning the headlights! firstly the range of light given on dipped beam is very poor
Secondly there has been occasions where the headlight bulb has been impossible to replace as the bulb has melted in the holder and the whole light unit has needed to be replaced.

If yours is the new avensis and still under manufacturers warranty I would consider if the change of headlight bulb would invalidate your warranty concerning the headlight bulb problem

#6 lindholme

lindholme

• Registered Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:18 PM

There is a known problem on the new Avensis concerning the headlights! firstly the range of light given on dipped beam is very poor
Secondly there has been occasions where the headlight bulb has been impossible to replace as the bulb has melted in the holder and the whole light unit has needed to be replaced.

If yours is the new avensis and still under manufacturers warranty I would consider if the change of headlight bulb would invalidate your warranty concerning the headlight bulb problem

Thanks, that's useful to know. Mine is still under warranty and I love it......except for the headlamp range :unsure:

#7 uumode

uumode

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Toyota Model: Avensis hatchback 1.8 T4 auto | Mercedes E240 auto

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:59 PM

Halfords Super Brilliance are the brightest bulbs as tested by Autocar
http://www.autoexpre...0_per_cent.html

if you hurry, Halfords are doing Buy One Get One Free on these bulbs (I just got a set)
- will ask dealer tomorrow how much to fit - probably 25? (Halfords fit for 8.99)

Though previously Osram Silverstar were tested the best
http://www.autoexpre...test_h7_50.html
so it's strange why this time around they don't fare too well - batch problems?

On my VW Polo the Osram's were super bright, but in my Mercedes they were no different to the standard fit.

#8 uumode

uumode

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:28 AM

Hmm the Halfords chart said the 2003+ Avensis uses H4 bulbs.

Went to the Toyota dealer to get them fitted 24+ VAT and they said they use H7 bulbs :blink:

I guess the Toyota dealer must be right (service reception) and that Halfords are wrong, but it would be strange that their charts are wrong?

So now have to go back to Halfords tonight to get them changed!

#9 lindholme

lindholme

• Registered Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:18 PM

Went to the Toyota dealer to get them fitted 24+ VAT and they said they use H7 bulbs :blink:

I guess the Toyota dealer must be right (service reception) and that Halfords are wrong, but it would be strange that their charts are wrong?

Interested to know how you get on

#10 uumode

uumode

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:41 PM

Interested to know how you get on

Well, I double checked my Avensis handbook and it says H7 so the Halfords chart is WRONG!
Went back to Halfords and politely complained that their chart was wrong, spoke to the cashier, her supervisor and the store manager.

H4 is 14.99 and H7 is 19.99 a difference of 5 to pay, which I wanted as a goodwill gesture (so I could just do a straight swop) seeing I had pointed out their specification mistake, and had wasted my time driving to the Toyota dealer to have them fitted (and back), and had to drive to Halfords again to get them changed because of THEIR mistake in the bulb selector chart for Avensis 2003 and onwards model.

The store manager said there was absolutely nothing he could do on the goodwill front and nor could head office, and so I reluctantly forked out for the extra 5 and temporarily swallowed the inconvenience and time of having made several trips to rectify the situation because of their incorrect specification. (I'm writing to head office, anyway).

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users