Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Xenon Bulbs

lindholme

I tackled this today and it was an unmitigated success.

It took less than an hour, didn't require the removal of the bumper, and didn't need the bulb adapting at all (although I was prepared for it thanks to Thomas Jorgensen's excellent post).

The end result is a tight beam pattern that doesn't dazzle other drivers, but giving a vastly improved throw of light. As I already had the ballasts, it cost me £35 for a set of H7 4300k bulbs from eBay. For anyone switching cars who might want to move HID sets around, my set was originally an H4 set. I bought a set of H7 bulbs from a different seller, and they were directly compatible.

I'd seriously recommend this to anyone who thinks the standard lights are poor.

The next task is to await the arrival of the LED sidelight bulbs so I've not got the normal sidelight bulbs looking yellow next to the HID bulbs!

I tackled this today and it was an unmitigated success.

It took less than an hour, didn't require the removal of the bumper, and didn't need the bulb adapting at all (although I was prepared for it thanks to Thomas Jorgensen's excellent post).

Great! ;) ;) However, did you notice where the "return wires" were located when you inserted to bulbs? Unless below the bulp, you will see a projected shadow somewhere. It's not critical, so I guess one can get used to it (just not me :lol: )

-Thomas

When i had my t3x the light output was solved by Halfords 50% extra bulbs but also had the headlights adjusted to highest position within the law.Toyota automatically set the headlights low why i do not know,the difference was a big improvement on the standard set up

I decided to change my Halford's 50% brighter bulbs and replace them with the brightest replacment bulbs currently available the Philips 80% X-treme bulbs http://www.xp-lamp.com/product-presentation.php?lc=en

from eBay (Poland) £22 a pair.

and the intensity is even brighter, the white is even more brillant. The fog lights look yellow in comparison.

Full marks to Philips. If existing Avensis owners find their lights wanting, and don't want to go a full xenon headlamp upgrade, the Philips X-treme 80% brighter replacement bulbs are unbeatable.

Here's independant verification

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/prod...reme_power.html

The Halfords 50% are not too shabby either (until Philips X-treme hit market)

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/prod...dlamp_bulb.html

however new kid on the block Philips X-treme are that much brighter than the Halfords 50% in my 2004 car, and reach further on dark country roads.

I wouldn't upgrade from Halfords 50% to X-treme unless folks do a lot of unlit road driving like I do. But if you only have the standard bulbs then it's a no brainer if you don't want full blown xenon unit installed.

I decided to change my Halford's 50% brighter bulbs and replace them with the brightest replacment bulbs currently available the Philips 80% X-treme bulbs http://www.xp-lamp.com/product-presentation.php?lc=en

from ebay (Poland) £22 a pair.

and the intensity is even brighter, the white is even more brillant. The fog lights look yellow in comparison.

Full marks to Philips. If existing Avensis owners find their lights wanting, and don't want to go a full Xenon headlamp upgrade, the Philips X-treme 80% brighter replacement bulbs are unbeatable.

Here's independant verification

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/prod...reme_power.html

The Halfords 50% are not too shabby either (until Philips X-treme hit market)

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/prod...dlamp_bulb.html

however new kid on the block Philips X-treme are that much brighter than the Halfords 50% in my 2004 car, and reach further on dark country roads.

I wouldn't upgrade from Halfords 50% to X-treme unless folks do a lot of unlit road driving like I do. But if you only have the standard bulbs then it's a no brainer if you don't want full blown Xenon unit installed.

Hi

Not sure what happened previously, system just seemed to want to post !!!

What I was going to ask....Is there any heat issue with theses bulbs as I seem to rememeber reading sometime in the past that there were incidents of parts melting when uprating bulbs

Zimmy

Hi

Not sure what happened previously, system just seemed to want to post !!!

What I was going to ask....Is there any heat issue with theses bulbs as I seem to rememeber reading sometime in the past that there were incidents of parts melting when uprating bulbs

Zimmy

On the Philips packaging there are some warnings like don't handle bulbs with bare hands (grease will blow bulbs) - wear gloves, and a caution 200 degrees (though I don't know if that is F or C!)

I have a xenon kit fitted to my bike (Suzuki Hayabusa). It's the best mod i've ever done to any vehicle i've owned and only cost £130.

I do about 30K a year, mostly in the dark, and the xenon lights really reduce eye strain as well as being more visible to other drivers (as an added bonus speed cameras and "emergency vehicles" are far more visible).

I was looking on eBay and saw this H7 xenon kit

So i've ordered a set :unsure: . The guys got good feedback and the kit doesn't look all that different from my bike one or any other kit. They nearly all come from China anyway and at least I won't have wasted loads of money if it's crap (and i'll have a couple of spare bulbs/ ballast units for the busa.)

I'll post the results up once i've got them and had time to fit them,( a job i'm dreading after reading about peoples' experiences) :o

When i had my t3x the light output was solved by halfords 50% extra bulbs but also had the headlights adjusted to highest position within the law.Toyota automatically set the headlights low why i do not know,the difference was a big improvement on the standard set up

I purhcased an avensis t3-x a couple of weeks ago. great car. i had a nissan primera sport before. the avensis is comfy but not as fun to drive as the primera.

I picked up the halfrauds super brilliance +50% bulbs just after i got the avensis. they're pretty good (altho putting them in was a laugh). they give a decent white light, much better than regular halogens. normally halfrauds is a no no for me, but their super brilliance bulbs were buy one get one free so £20 for both was a good deal.

i've heard of problems with the hid conversions. but i think if you stick to 6000k things'll probably be ok. 8000k will probably fail come mot time, due to being too bright and causing a splash pattern in the light beam pattern box they use on the mot.

but i think if you stick to 6000k things'll probably be ok. 8000k will probably fail come mot time, due to being too bright and causing a splash pattern in the light beam pattern box they use on the mot.

8000k is dimmer than 6000k. The higher the rating, the bluer the light to thte detriment of beam strength. 8000k is pretty blue, with 12000k being almost purple.

4300k is pure white.

The projector lens of the Avensis headlamps is very good for retaining a tight beam pattern. I'm not afraid of failing the MOT at all.

...8000k is dimmer than 6000k. The higher the rating, the bluer the light to thte detriment of beam strength. 8000k is pretty blue, with 12000k being almost purple.

4300k is pure white.

The projector lens of the Avensis headlamps is very good for retaining a tight beam pattern. I'm not afraid of failing the MOT at all.

I would anytime recommend the 4300k. ;) Output is optimum, and no weird colors to bother other drivers. For some reason, many people think the 6-8k bulps are brighter. :lol:

-Thomas

was looking on ebay and saw this H7 xenon kit

So i've ordered a set unsure.gif . The guys got good feedback and the kit doesn't look all that different from my bike one or any other kit. They nearly all come from China anyway and at least I won't have wasted loads of money if it's crap (and i'll have a couple of spare bulbs/ ballast units for the busa.)

I'll post the results up once i've got them and had time to fit them,( a job i'm dreading after reading about peoples' experiences)

I've fitted them along with the help of a workmate.

I can see why people have had such nightmares with them now, what a crap design. We eventually got them fitted without removal of the bumper and loads of swearing :censor: . The backs of my hands look as if i've fell in a rose bush but we got the job done in the end.

The finished result looks great and i'm just about to order some white LED side light bulbs as they now look really yellow :angry:

Result! :thumbsup:

was looking on ebay and saw this H7 xenon kit

So i've ordered a set unsure.gif . The guys got good feedback and the kit doesn't look all that different from my bike one or any other kit. They nearly all come from China anyway and at least I won't have wasted loads of money if it's crap (and i'll have a couple of spare bulbs/ ballast units for the busa.)

I'll post the results up once i've got them and had time to fit them,( a job i'm dreading after reading about peoples' experiences)

I've fitted them along with the help of a workmate.

I can see why people have had such nightmares with them now, what a crap design. We eventually got them fitted without removal of the bumper and loads of swearing :censor: . The backs of my hands look as if i've fell in a rose bush but we got the job done in the end.

The finished result looks great and i'm just about to order some white LED side light bulbs as they now look really yellow :angry:

Result! :thumbsup:

Where do you plan on getting your white LED side lights? I've seen them on the bay for 12.99.

Where do you plan on getting your white LED side lights? I've seen them on the bay for 12.99.

I ordered them on eBay last night, 2 X 5 led white side lights. Came to about £5

I bought a new Avensis last spring and it came with xenon bulbs from the factory. Now that winter is setting in, I have to say I find the factory xenon bulbs lacking, especially on a dark road at highway speeds.

Has anyone seen improvement replacing the factory suppled xenon bulbs with another brand or power rating?

hanks,

Eric

Do you mean xenons as in HIDs? If so, you shouldn't be having any problems. When you turn them on, do they flare, then dim down and come on over the course of a few seconds? If not, they aren't xenons, but "xenon look" halogen replacements which aren't great. As said above, only the 2.4 petrol Avensis came with proper xenons.

I fitted my LED sidelights yesterday. They are now the same white as the HID bulbs. The light pattern isn't as good due to the directional mounting of the LED's on the unit, but as they are effectively cosmetic, it's not a problem. Mine were £4.50 from eBay and were 6 LED units. IF I were to buy them again, I'd get the 9 led units from ultraled's as they mount 4 of the led's at 90 degrees to the rest giving a more traditional beam pattern.

Thankfully it was a 5 minute job to replace them, unlike the main bulbs!