Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why It Pays To Shop Around

Demonic Angel

My car is 2 years old today! Happy Birthday to Kaori!

Which also means the dreaded service is upon us... so, realising I was late, I decided to spend lunchtime today booking my 20,000 service

Last year I went straight to Farmer & Carlisle Leicester, where I bought the car from. I know a 20,000 service costs about £200, so I was expecting around this figure... so I rang them... and they quoted

£275! :eek:

I was truly shocked - It was £225 plus £50 for the brake fluid change! So I decided to ring round a few other dealerships instead - I know it can be cheaper than that....

So am now going to Sturgess Nissan Leicester instead - they are a Nissan dealership but they're also an approved Toyota service centre. For the bargain price of £189 inc VAT, parts, labour and the brake fluid change! No one else in the area could match their price!

Just goes to show, dealer loyalty means nothing! I'm not even going to Toyota for it! I just saved almost £100 by shopping around! :thumbsup:

Ok so I have to sit in a Nissan dealership for a couple of hours... no biggie. It was either that or have a Micra hire car - I chose to wait! :lol:

Hey fair play em's It's a good job that you shopped about ah :thumbsup: Why give them you hard earn cash ah :yes:

jerry!!

What did the guys at Stratford quote Em?

£195 for the 20k service John Boy but that didnt include the brake fluid change - that would have been an extra £30 on top....

I think I got the best deal I could though - and I would have never thought of going to Nissan for my service! :lol:

In a way I feel like its all a terrible waste considering I might not even have this car in March.... ;)

But hey, cheers for the info about Murley! They were the lowest til I called Sturgess :thumbsup:

lol i paid 70 for my 30k service

Thats 30k service Matt, aka intermediate

This is 20k full service ;)

Yeah hell probs add another tenner for the extra stuff that needed doing :)

Seroiusly, just go to the littlest garage you can find, they will be experienced at it, and do a good job, and wont rip you off at all.

Every service i have had with autotune (he comes to your house) has never costed more than 80 quid.

Which is nice :D

Wow! They really were trying or daylight robbery, weren't they?

I'd forgotten that Kaori was only a couple of months younger than mine (we're both members of the "Splatted Yaris Club" :rolleyes:). Of course, my 40k has been and gone (:oops:) It cost just over £200 and I felt that that was pretty darned steep!

:thumbsup:

A

Wow! They really were trying or daylight robbery, weren't they?

I'd forgotten that Kaori was only a couple of months younger than mine (we're both members of the "Splatted Yaris Club" :rolleyes:). Of course, my 40k has been and gone (:oops:) It cost just over £200 and I felt that that was pretty darned steep!

:thumbsup:

A

They were trying yes.... glad I didnt fall for it this year... I guess recent events have made me realise most dealers are actually very scrupulous and will do anything to squeeze more money out of you, which quite frankly shocks me!

I mean F&C (who I've always recommended, now I'm not so sure!) claimed the brake fluid change would be £50 inc parts, labour, VAT etc - so why did another place quote me £30 inc parts, labour and VAT for it - its not like its less of a brake fluid change, its just F&C hiking up the parts and labour!

If they really believe that after all this I'll be buying my possible future car from them (if it is indeed a Toyota I choose) then they've got another thing coming! :rolleyes:

I actually feel like writing one of my infamous "sternly worded letters" to Farmer & Carlisle about this - how can they justify almost £100 difference in price?? :angry:

Toyotas services are starting to go down the wrong path ....... I hope they sort it out soon <_<

I've had my fair few visits to different dealerships and everytime I go the service/workmanship seems to be getting worse

But TBH I think it's just this country :(

I definally agree with the country comment! recently been to Houston in USA and everyone was just so polite over there!

Toyotas services are starting to go down the wrong path ....... I hope they sort it out soon <_<

I've had my fair few visits to different dealerships and everytime I go the service/workmanship seems to be getting worse

But TBH I think it's just this country :(

Yep.. :(

Our Yaris-in-France had this odd rattle when it was going in for its 2 year service and the service manager insisted in coming out with me driving so that I could show him the revs/circumstances in which it happened. We sussed it was the ventillation system rather than CV joints. Of course, the rattle mysteriously disappeared when they went to look for it :rolleyes:

Still, the attention to detail was excellent and the price pretty good too. Bit of a trek to get mine done though - even for me :D

A

Same with most things, even shopping in France the sales assistants are nicer and always polite!

I'm booked in next week so will let you know how it goes - the guy I spoke to was lovely though and because they are giving me a 10% discount as well I'm to quote his name when I come to pay... I told him he'd made a young lady very happy, he replied he'd better not tell the wife! :lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after all that I got a great service and paid less than I thought - £150 to be precise! :thumbsup: That included the brake fluid change which apparently you do have to have every 2 years.

Kaori came out unscathed with a fully green check report and no issues. Front brake pads are worn 33% but thats nothing really after 2 years of ownership - tyres are all sound and everything a-ok!

Would fully recommend Sturgess to anyone. I was only waiting for 2 hours (had a good book to read so the time flew by!) and the receptionist was very friendly and we sat there chatting about all sorts, including my book of choice, The Devil Wears Prada. I'm halfway through it and its a very good book indeed! I also got chatted up by a bloke there to buy a Micra and he was asking me about the Yaris - told him they were good little cars but soon after he signed on the dotted line for his Micra so I dont think I persuaded him very well!

But thats by the by, I've come out very impressed, even if they are a Nissan dealership :lol: Apparently Sturgess used to be Toyota a few years back but changed to Nissan, hence why they are still a Toyota approved servicing centre.

Anyway, full marks here! And I have an extra £40 in my back pocket to splurge on sale items! Can life get any more marvellous? :D

Sounds like you had a good deal and a had a good time!

Booked mine in for the 30,000 miles service at Octagon Toyota Reading was ameant to be £106 but getting for £90 because i am gold :P

I have used Sturgess Nissan Leicester three times in the past.

When the dealer was Toyota;

Once when some git hit my bumper on a previous corolla when parked in the Leicester shires indoor parking. Sorted out a courtesy car (nice lil 1.0 Yari) and everything was sorted bang on time, nice new sprayed bumper.

Second for a service. Can't remember the price but was cheap compared to other garages.

Since they changed to Nissan;

Took my Primera Sport + in there to have a service and once again the car was completed on time and the price was reasonable. Ok was more than a corolla but the primera is bigger. All in all I will be taking the Yari Tsport and the Cori Tsport for a service there as they are very helpful, Toyota approved and I can play in the lil micra convertables in the showrooms. :yahoo:

not what i wanted to hear! my local dealer is Farmer & Carlisle Leicester :(

Need to book 60k service aswell, so its gonna cost me an arm! maybe a leg aswell.

so Sturgess Nissan Leicester is the best place to go around leicester area?

Need to book 60k service aswell, so its gonna cost me an arm! maybe a leg aswell.

Well from my experience Sturgess are good and respectable prices. Thats not to say a Toyota dealer isn't. For example the Yari just had a major service at the Northampton Toyota dealer and everything went fine. Cost a bit but tried them out and no problems. Had a recall letter from Mr T head office about something that could potentially fail in the engine section which could prevent the Yari from starting so in it went to Northampton Mr T, everything paid for by Mr T, provided a nice lil red 06 Yari as a courtesy car, collected our Yari later and a nice bottle of champers waiting for our inconvenience. That was good (although I don't like champers!) On the other hand although not a Toyota dealer the Nissan dealer in Northampton is utter :censor: the worst I have ever come across. They trust their computers instead of their good ole fashioned experience and I had to tell them what to look for and what to change instead of them doing their job - that was on the Primera Sport + but one of my mates raves on the good service from that dealer so its all down to personal experience. :)

See how you get on with Sturgess with a quote - you will get your book stamped and since they are Toyota approved service centre then everything should be fine. You can then just loose your arm and save your leg!

Well, after all that I got a great service and paid less than I thought - £150 to be precise! :thumbsup: That included the brake fluid change which apparently you do have to have every 2 years.

Good price.

Brake fluid is "recommended" to be changed at 20k. If it's ok, then they'll leave it. Mine was done at 30k.

I bought my car from Farmer & Carlisle, I used to live in Leicestershire. To be honest I was shocked when they quoted me £275 for a service, its totally put me off them - obviously they need the cash for that shiny new building they are currently working on...

I would highly recommend Sturgess. Give them a call and ask for Ian in Servicing. He is a nice chap and gave me a good quote. The numbers 0116 254 1717.

Plus its only down the road from F&C as well, on the Aylestone Road :thumbsup: Onl;y downside is if you need a courtesy car it will be a Micra! :lol:

60k is a full service like the 20k one. Tell them someone you know got it for £189 inclusive.... ;)

I bought my car from Farmer & Carlisle, I used to live in Leicestershire. To be honest I was shocked when they quoted me £275 for a service, its totally put me off them - obviously they need the cash for that shiny new building they are currently working on...

I would highly recommend Sturgess. Give them a call and ask for Ian in Servicing. He is a nice chap and gave me a good quote. The numbers 0116 254 1717.

Plus its only down the road from F&C as well, on the Aylestone Road :thumbsup: Onl;y downside is if you need a courtesy car it will be a Micra! :lol:

60k is a full service like the 20k one. Tell them someone you know got it for £189 inclusive.... ;)

thanks for info m8, ill ring both Sturgess and Farmer & Carlisle on tuesday.

ill post an update when i get the prices

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links