Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Pertol Engines

Rene

Nice car the Auris. Why 180bhp diesel and only 124bhp 1.6l petrol? All other manufacturers do have at least a 2.0l as top modal. Or even better 2.0l turbo charged.

Nice car the Auris. Why 180bhp diesel and only 124bhp 1.6l petrol? All other manufacturers do have at least a 2.0l as top modal. Or even better 2.0l turbo charged.

Emissions maybe.

What I'm wondering is if the Euro IV average 140g CO2/km applies across the Toyota and Lexus range as one, or whether it is separate for Toyota and Lexus. Might be that keeping the Toyota emissions down means they can put bigger engines in the Lexus cars.

Paul.

the 1.8 ltr vvt-i (not t sport lump) will also be availiable

According to a fairly recent copy of Auto Express magazine I read they are planning a 250bhp turbo T Sport version of the Auris.

If that is true then it should be a bit of a larf! But also probably the thick end of 20 grand :(

Still 250bhp....... :D :D :D :D

According to a fairly recent copy of Auto Express magazine I read they are planning a 250bhp turbo T Sport version of the Auris.

If that is true then it should be a bit of a larf! But also probably the thick end of 20 grand :(

Still 250bhp....... :D :D :D :D

dont count on that.

think the most powerful one will be the T180

Generally best never to trust anything you read in AutoExpress.

Points about engines already covered by others, but just to pick up on the emissions thing. The 140g/km target is across all manufacturers (strictly speaking it is two agreements; one for the Europeans under ACEA and one for Asians under JAMA - both trade associations of car makers) so Porsche is lumped in with FIAT, Kia with Lexus, etc. Obviously all brands need to do their bit to hit a lower average and so it is a consideration when deciding which engines to fit to new cars.

However, on Auris the fact is that diesels are a growing share of the market and hot petrol models declining so it makes market as well as emissions sense to offer the T180.

Points about engines already covered by others, but just to pick up on the emissions thing. The 140g/km target is across all manufacturers (strictly speaking it is two agreements; one for the Europeans under ACEA and one for Asians under JAMA - both trade associations of car makers) so Porsche is lumped in with FIAT, Kia with Lexus, etc. Obviously all brands need to do their bit to hit a lower average and so it is a consideration when deciding which engines to fit to new cars.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess at the moment while it's still "an agreement" rather than actual EU law, as long as the industry can hit the 140g/km target by 2008 or whenever, it doesn't really matter how it is achieved.

Is there any carbon trading going on, eg. the Germans handing over some actual money to the Japanese in return for not getting anywhere near the emissions target?

Paul.

No carbon trading yet, but that relates –for now – to manufacturing, not emissions from individual cars. The “trading” there is VW making lots of Polos so owner Porsche can sell Cayman’s with V10 turbos fitted.

We were somewhat disadvantaged as the UK plant had already made a great deal of improvements before it was measured/audited and so we were given an even higher target. Some, shall we say, less efficient plants are going to be given credit for only now getting to where we have been.

• 3 weeks later...

a lot of it comes from the fact that these days, if you want fast car, you got to buy diesel, as resale values of larger petrol engines are really, really bad.

Besides, 126hp diesel should be faster than 2.0VVTi, and T180 should be really fast, and it also has multilink back suspension.

Besides, 126hp diesel should be faster than 2.0VVTi

You are kidding aren't you. :laughing:

:nono:

never driven a modern diesel then?

todays diesels make them on par with petrol engines regarding performance.

take for instance the 1.4 D4D, it has more torque than the 2ZZ TSport engine.

point to point diesels will keep up with petrols and use less fuel doing so!

True but the torque is short lived especially in the 1.4 and it wont have much bottom or top end pull. I agree that they are much better engines these days but i couldn't go lower than a 2.0 diesel.

The true engine is the t180 in any range, its a wonderful engine if you like that sort of thing. The performance feels faster than recorded figures. Its the same with any car though, i was talking to a friend of mine with a v6 jag and despite its recorded performance he says that even some diesel mondeo's leave him for dead. :blink:

TDCi's are quick cars.

my mate has the 2.0D4D and acceleration wise there isnt alot between them. his does start to pull away at the higher and illeagal speeds though

I had a bit of a run in with a Vw golf 1.9 tdi. The low end kick in that ment i couldn't get past it until i was in lift. When it was there i could keep it there and passed him, but it took time.

Diesels have soooo much low end torque and with the better turbos and refinement in diesel engines they are killing off petrols. I dare say this t180 will give the CTS a dam good pasting around a track, and on the straights keep right up with it!

I'm definately looking at the t180 as a possible car for the future! of course i'd still keep my baby as a project me thinks! Do a few mods and stuff and race her on trackdays! :yes:

From what i have read the T180 seems like a good replacement for the TSport, especially since I've aged somewhat since buying mine and am a little bit more sensible (cough sometimes) . The rav4 t180 is a mighty fine drive hopefully in the lighter and sportier auris setup, it will be an exciting one too. My corrola tsport is in for a service this weekend and fingers crossed the dealer will have an auris there, rather than read old top gear mags i might bend their arms for a quick spin :)

Yep the 2l D4d can keep up with quite a few cars that suprise me sometimes, even better when over taking petrol cars on a hill as I just fly past ..... from a standing start it pulls away like nothing :D

Can't wait till I can chip it :drool::drool:

I would love to buy the 180 but I can't afford it at the mo - but looking at the stats it's quicker than the FR seriers :thumbsup:

True but the torque is short lived especially in the 1.4 and it wont have much bottom or top end pull. I agree that they are much better engines these days but i couldn't go lower than a 2.0 diesel.

The true engine is the t180 in any range, its a wonderful engine if you like that sort of thing. The performance feels faster than recorded figures. Its the same with any car though, i was talking to a friend of mine with a v6 jag and despite its recorded performance he says that even some diesel mondeo's leave him for dead. :blink:

new 2.0 D4d with 126hp is really nice... it has smaller turbo, so better reaction and works longer than on bigger engines... It should be perfect fit for Auris. Not only that, but it is really quiet and behaves well in Avensis....