Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Courage To Jump

Demonic Angel

As some of you know, I've been on the hunt for a new car for some time - and I *think* I've finally chosen the worthy winner....

I know what spec I want, the colour I want and the car has actually grown on me considerably. It was always a car I thought was good looking, but recently its been in my thoughts a lot and flicking through the brochure has helped me make up my mind - finally!

But now the hard part, plucking up the courage to actually go through with it all!

I've never bought a car through want before, only through sheer despiration and "oh my god, I've totalled my car and need a new one pronto" type situations, so I've never been in this situation of taking my time and choosing before - and its been totally alien!

So - to those who found a car recently, took their time, chose wisely and then bought - what gave you the final push to actually buy? Because although this car is gorgeous and so full of toys and gadgets I could cry with wonder, I still have a lovely little car sitting on my drive - and I think I'm finding it hard to have to let her go - sounds very sad I know!

So, how can I get rid of this little voice in the back of my head telling me I dont need a new car and that I'm wasting my money... because quite frankly, I've had a crap 2006 and need a pick me up! :lol:

Or alternatively, am I indeed being very selfish and should I keep my Yaris for all eternity, answers on a postcard.... ;)

Trust me to get attached to a piece of metal and plastic with wheels.... :rolleyes:

PS - For those folk lucky enough to know the make and model of said prospective new vehicle.... keep schtum - it still could change.... knowing me! :lol:

If your going in with the intention of buying over the next week or two a couple of pointers...

1) Always ensure that your salesman believes you will be ordering the day you visit to make sure you get the best offer...

2) If your using finance remember flat rate is just under half APR so 5.5 flat is approx 13-14% APR (be v careful on that one)

3) Never accept their first offer no matter how good it looks

4) When you think they have their best offer tell them you really need time to think about it and a friend is getting a quote at another dealer (make sure you have the name of another semi local dealer which is not in the same group as the one you have gone to.

5) When you have your offer be ready to write it down as they will usually not give you a written quotation to take away. Call closest dealer and see if they will beat it. Make sure you have ready the products included, deposit & monthly figure, forget the price of the car, all they need is the exact model and spec inc colour.

6) Remember to haggle on prices of products you want, shortfall(gap) etc...

Remember the longer you leave it the less your car is worth !

If you need a second opinion on an offer call me if you want it checked out :D

is this part of ems blog ?

No, its not, its a post on a forum... ;)

And thanks for the long post Ryan, but I need help with the ultimate decision, not with the purchasing! That comes after I make said decision.... :yes:

Hmmmmmmmm, tricky one.

Buying a car for the sake of it, rather than a necessity.

it's never happened to me yet ( except with the Sera ).

I test drove a new Suzuki Swift a month or so ago and the guy was desperate to sell me it ( no surprises there ), but I explained that I didn't actually need to buy a car as I'm happy enough with the current one. He came back with about 10 deals....each better than the last in an attempt to persuade me to buy it.

If you don't actually need to buy a new car then you can negotiate a much better deal - or walk away. Remember, it's his job to sell the cars, not your job to buy them !

Ultimately it's up to you. If you can afford it then why not.......or spend the cash on a holiday, shoes, clothes, shoes, shoes, shoes and copies of Harpers and Queens if you want !

Write down a list of Pro's and Con's so you can visualise the decision, your car is always going to depreciate and depending on what car you decide you could end up with a car that depreciates at a slower rate which will help if your only looking to keep your car for three years...

You've been considering changing for a while, personally would take the opportunity and grab it by the horns :D

Another option to consider is Lease Purchase, it will keep your monthy's down and you have a guarenteed future value if you did want to buy the car at the end of it....

I'd been looking for my next car for the best part of a year before I finally decided what to get & then it was a simple case of hanging around until the right 1 came up. The only push I needed was a quick comparison of my old car to my potential new 1, it's absolutely miles better in every way & so rather than trying to get the motivation to go & buy it I was having more trouble keeping a sensible head on until the right 1 came along.

At the end of the day, you work hard for your money so why not spend a lot of it on something that you're going to spend a lot of time in? It's only money, it comes & goes & if it gives you plenty of enjoyment it's money well spent in my book

I'd been looking for my next car for the best part of a year before I finally decided what to get & then it was a simple case of hanging around until the right 1 came up. The only push I needed was a quick comparison of my old car to my potential new 1, it's absolutely miles better in every way & so rather than trying to get the motivation to go & buy it I was having more trouble keeping a sensible head on until the right 1 came along.

At the end of the day, you work hard for your money so why not spend a lot of it on something that you're going to spend a lot of time in? It's only money, it comes & goes & if it gives you plenty of enjoyment it's money well spent in my book

Thanks Kev, that was the sort of advice I was after, as my car (similarly to your Yaris I expect) is a perfectly good little car, I guess I just feel its a bit dull, especially in comparison to some of the cars I've had the pleasure to drive recently - I guess I've realised that.... shock horror and sacrilege darlings.... there's more to life than the Toyota Yaris. However I dont hate the car at all, in fact I'd be sad to see her go.

Comparing cars, theres no comparison. New car is better all round - its also more expensive but the moneys not really so much of an issue, its the fact I'm spending it all in one go! I mean heck, you could buy two perfectly good cars for the price of this one (small cars obviously :lol: ) but I guess while I'm young.... :D

I hope it's a 3.0 twin turbo Supra...

John Boy - tell them all my secret why dont you... next you'll be telling them about my plan to take over the world with you as my evil henchman................. darn! ;)

Thanks Kev, that was the sort of advice I was after, as my car (similarly to your Yaris I expect) is a perfectly good little car, I guess I just feel its a bit dull, especially in comparison to some of the cars I've had the pleasure to drive recently - I guess I've realised that.... shock horror and sacrilege darlings.... there's more to life than the Toyota Yaris. However I dont hate the car at all, in fact I'd be sad to see her go.

Comparing cars, theres no comparison. New car is better all round - its also more expensive but the moneys not really so much of an issue, its the fact I'm spending it all in one go! I mean heck, you could buy two perfectly good cars for the price of this one (small cars obviously :lol: ) but I guess while I'm young.... :D

Yeah, my old car was fantastic, I never had 1 problem with it in 2 years of ownership, it was absolutely perfect for what I wanted & needed but times change, it wasn't a quick car by any stretch of the imagination & after a while I started wanting something more powerful. It was no massive deal, I wanted something better, I saved the money then bought it. Yeah, it was horrible seeing the Yaris drive away but I'd prepared myself for that for some time & I knew I was doing the right thing so it wasn't too bad.

I feel bad comparing my new car to my old 1 because it makes it look woeful & the Yaris did nothing to deserve that, it was simply designed with different ideas in mind.

Oh, & the Golf cost me over 3 times what I got for the Yaris. Instead of buying it I could have kept the Yaris & put a deposit down on a decent house in an area that's getting totally done up, tidied it up, rented it out to people who could give me the money for the mortgage & extra spends. That would rise in value at a stupidly quick rate, but instead I decided to buy a car that's going to drop in value but not once have I thought I might have made the wrong decision. As mentioned, your money will be no good to you when you die so enjoy it while you can.

Sorry for the essay :bye:

*cough* BUY MINE! *cough* .... :D

I've never had a problem buying a car tbh. I see what I like... I want it... I buy it. Simple as. I don't sit around long enough thinking about it to actually come to any other conclusion other than, "I'm buying that car".

Alas she said new, and we know that toyota no longer make cars to get excited about :(

I reckon its a new civic ;)

I've never had a problem buying a car tbh. I see what I like... I want it... I buy it. Simple as. I don't sit around long enough thinking about it to actually come to any other conclusion other than, "I'm buying that car".

Exaclty the same here :P

Exaclty the same here :P

Me aswell, i fell in love with the mr2 and HAD to have it, my head didnt have any say in the matter - it was my heart that led the way :D

I think sometimes if you think about things too much you talk yourself out of it, if you truely want it you will buy it , if youve got doubts then you will probably find lots of reasons why you shouldnt buy it :thumbsup:

Well.... for me it was easy.... I wanted an MR2 I had to have it (like the above)... I had fallen out of love with the Yaris and wanted to move on...

Dont get me wrong... still a good little car n all.. but I -wanted- more... the only time I remotely felt a bit sad was when I left her with the new owners... but that was it...

So I guess.. if your mind isnt totally made up... you have to figure a way to make it up... as otherwise... you'll be umming about it for ages...

personally there are two ways to look at it...

1) do I -NEED- a new car (or could I save for something else... rent/house/other)

2) do I -WANT- a new car (and to hell with everything else)

All I know is.... I could NOT afford a new (and I have used the term loosely.. new/2nd hand etc its gonna be newer than what I got ;) ) car.. and rent... and cats.. and everything else... so you must be !Removed! good with your money ;)

At the end of the day... get yourself in a position where you wont miss the Yaris.. you dont feel 'guilty' or have a slight pang of 'oh should I' as you look at Kaori... then go for it...

So - to those who found a car recently, took their time, chose wisely and then bought - what gave you the final push to actually buy?

I was seduced by the power and the glamour. But it turns out the Aygo isn't all that fast really :lol:

Paul.

I think I just need to stop worrying (!!) and get on with it!

I'm going to email the salesperson to arrange another test drive with my Dad on board - I trust his judgement above all others so if he says yes, then I know I'm making the right choice. The last one I test drove was the engine I wanted but not the spec, so I really need to go back and test drive the right spec.

And the next problem.... actually finding the one I want in the colour I want - as per usual I've gone for the colour no bugger else bought! :lol:

The drive should be identical unless the model you drove had different suspension...

Get it ordered :D

It does have a different suspension setup so it will be different. :thumbsup:

What made me jump?

Fed up off a small, 3 door, 1.0litre car!

Wanted summit easy to work on, loads of parts available, quite reliable, a 5 door, and a bit of power under the bonnet.

Suprising really, as you hear about reliability issues with the Vauxhalls (apparently the Vectra's are the absolute worse too), but mines been alright. Just wish I had the money to have gotten one with a bit less mileage, as it had reached a point in it's service history, when it needed work doing. Of course, that was barter'd in on the deal. ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links