Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Groaning Noise - Clutch?

poppy1

I've got a '53 plate Yaris. Ever since I've had it there has been occasions where it has made a terrible 'groaning' noise - the type that you get when you hear something straining. It only occurs occasionally - I think it is to do with the clutch, as it happens when I'm in first or second gear and reaching biting point and pulling away slowly - it doesn't sound as though anything is grating, just a deep groaning. The garage has looked into it but it's still there, I came across this site and wondered if anyone had any ideas I could point the garage in the direction of! The warranty is close to expiry and I'd like to get it sorted before I suddenly find myself with a huge bill. Thanks

It's very simple, if you're not happy with the service (or lack of it in this case) that your dealer has provided, then take it back. If there is something wrong and it certainly sounds like there is, it is the dealer's responsibility to investigate fully and put it right. :yes:

I'm assuming this happens when the car starts off in a straight line? The power steering can make a bit of a fuss when the car is moving slowly on full lock.

Did they experience the "symptom", for want of a better word, for themselves? Anyway, as I said, take it back, don't take no for an answer and get them to commit to sorting it out before the warranty expires.

Good Luck. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that - it does tend to be when pulling away in a straight line.

We have moved area recently after a year where the car took the 'back seat' due to other things going on, so now with a month left on warranty and new area = new toyota garage, perhaps I'll have more luck. If the fault is pointed out and noted before end of warranty and still occurs after, are they obliged to keep on trying to sort it out? I don't think the previous garage were able to simulate the sound/problem; it doesn't always happen with me so is fairly unpredictable. Thanks again.

Thanks for that - it does tend to be when pulling away in a straight line.

We have moved area recently after a year where the car took the 'back seat' due to other things going on, so now with a month left on warranty and new area = new toyota garage, perhaps I'll have more luck. If the fault is pointed out and noted before end of warranty and still occurs after, are they obliged to keep on trying to sort it out? I don't think the previous garage were able to simulate the sound/problem; it doesn't always happen with me so is fairly unpredictable. Thanks again.

I really don't know the situation regarding the a problem re-occuring after the warranty has expired but I'd certainly have a word with your dealer (and it can be any Mr T, your warranty is with Toyota, not the dealer you bought it from, I believe). You should put your concerns to the dealer. It may be that they can sort out the problem or at least put your mind to rest about how the warranty would work in this situation.

Of course, if you don't go back to see them until after the warranty expiry, that may complicate matters.

hey mates! well i experience it for myself... mine does it too, it's not constant, sometimes does, sometimes don't... sometimes it's around 1000(plus a few) RPM, sometimes it's about 3000 (it seems like a rattle). Well, i had my clutch changed under warranty once, and I must say, that even it got better, sometimes i feel like it has a will of her own, don't know if it's self adjusting (like VW Golfs and Polo)

well, it may be due to a faulty clutch, it may be due to catalytic converter (check if it does it only when driving, or if it also does when stopped and neutral) or also it may be from the flywheel (if it is not straight [sorry, i don't remember a word to describe it... :!Removed!: ])

keep insisting, i went down to mr.T a FEW times so they would check properly my clutch problem... after a LOOOONG wait they did... (it never lost that stupod groaning noise though...)

cumps!!

hey mates! well i experience it for myself... mine does it too, it's not constant, sometimes does, sometimes don't... sometimes it's around 1000(plus a few) RPM, sometimes it's about 3000 (it seems like a rattle). Well, i had my clutch changed under warranty once, and I must say, that even it got better, sometimes i feel like it has a will of her own, don't know if it's self adjusting (like VW Golfs and Polo)

well, it may be due to a faulty clutch, it may be due to catalytic converter (check if it does it only when driving, or if it also does when stopped and neutral) or also it may be from the flywheel (if it is not straight [sorry, i don't remember a word to describe it... :!Removed!: ])

keep insisting, i went down to mr.T a FEW times so they would check properly my clutch problem... after a LOOOONG wait they did... (it never lost that stupod groaning noise though...)

cumps!!

In all fairness to my old Toyota garage, they looked at it a few times and believed it was something to do with the clutch, which they did change (I think - they were a bit vague!). It only does it when pulling away in low gear, espeically up hill. I'm just hoping a different garage might be able to sort it.

cumps!!

In all fairness to my old Toyota garage, they looked at it a few times and believed it was something to do with the clutch, which they did change (I think - they were a bit vague!). It only does it when pulling away in low gear, espeically up hill. I'm just hoping a different garage might be able to sort it.

I can think of 2 things that would cause it.

The first is the clutch release bearing which should have been changed with the clutch so you need to find out if it was definately done.

The second is that one of the rotating parts of the engine is catching something as you take up the drive. This goes back to the principle of "for every force there is an equal and opposite force". When the engine tries to start the car in the forward direction , it actually tries to rotate in it's mountings in the oposite direction and under heavy loads (like starting away) it might be moving enough for the rotating pulleys to catch something.

Get the garage to check the engine mountings and the plastic covers that are at the pulley end (left side as you look under the bonnet) which may have been previously disturbed.

Good luck.

Thanks for that. I'll check with my original garage on Monday re the clutch. When I take the car in for its service and MOT I'll get the garage to check the areas you suggest. If it is the latter, can this cause eventual damage? Thanks again.

Thanks for that. I'll check with my original garage on Monday re the clutch. When I take the car in for its service and MOT I'll get the garage to check the areas you suggest. If it is the latter, can this cause eventual damage? Thanks again.

If it's just catching a plastic shield it will eventually wear through it and is unlikely to do much harm. If an engine mounting has gone, the engine will move around more than it should and may eventually damage the exhaust or drive shafts etc. You can usually feel a thud when you take up or let off the power if it is bad enough to cause a problem but you can reduce any detrimental affect by being as smooth as possible when you set off and using the accelerator - until you get it looked at.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Thanks again. I rang my old garage and they did replace the clutch assembly - so I'm assuming that this can't be the cause of the problem. I'm not overly hopeful as it only occurs now and again, so it's hard for a garage to 'cause' it to happen and so solve it. I will mention what you've said though. Thanks

Dude! Try this, with yout car stopped and neutral, speed up the engine til aprox. 3000rpm, slowly so you can hear any groaning.

I talked to a mechanic who takes care from our hiace and hilux, and he told me, that it probably might be from the exhaust (catalytic c., pipes, any junction..) And i told him, i already tried do accelerate it but til 2000 or 2500rpm he doesn't do any noise.. he told me it has to do with the load, like the turbo engines, in the neutral the turbo only goes on in high revs. try it :)

Update. I took my car in today for service and when I collected it they hadn't got to the bottom of the problem. The chap I dealt with then came out for a drive with me and tried various things and got it to replicate the noise - he said it was the clutch, he was a bit baffled when I said it had been replaced, but is confident that's what it is. I'm to book it in to be looked at and possibly replaced again, although he said Head office might not like it as it's already been replaced - should I insist on a replacement or leave it to their judgment? Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links