Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Road Tax?

JappyBeast

Road Tax?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Keep the Tax Disc or Tax on fuel?

• Keep it how it is, dont fix it if it's not broke.
    • No, put the tax on fuel, the more they use the roads the more they pay.

I know there are many sides to this as everyones situation is different.

Personally I drive 2 miles to work and 2 miles back everyday. Only long distance I do is to my home in Scotland and there are usually more than two people in the car to cover the fuel anyway.

Road tax is however a good way to make sure everyone is MOT'd and insured!

Errrrrrrm.....

We already ARE taxed on fuel!!!!!

Out of the £60 I pay to fill up my car, about £45 of it is tax.....

I'd not mind paying road tax if the roads were well maintained... but Milly blew a shock the other day hittigna flooded pot hole... its not rare where I live, for an affluent area, the roads are some of the worst in the uk.

I know the roads are bad in the this country and I know we pay alot of tax on fuel already but non of that goes to the roads. The point is, Old Mrs White who goes shopping once a week pays the same in road tax as Mr Red who does 90 miles on the M1 every day.

I rather selfishly voted to keep it as it is. I drive 300+ miles a week in a car that does an average 32MPG. 10 Gallons (45Litres) a week. The maths is purely subjective but if you were to put 10p extra tax on a litre of fuel it would cost me around £74 a year extra in tax. That's £234 on top of the £1870 I'm currently paying just for fuel. And that's assuming they only put 10p on a litre. :!Removed!:

I don't understand how you can;t see that people that do more miles already pay tax per mile on fuel!?

When you look at the estimated £1870 Dactari spends on fuel... work out 80% of that.. thats already puts the current tax disk into insignificance.

Should people that watch TV only once a month pay less for their TV license?

Not to fussed as I get paid to travel to work ;) !

At the end of the day my cost will be passed down to the customer.

However I wonder how many roadworks will suddenly appear from time to time making us drive the long way home just before christmas and tax period :thumbsup: !

Should people that watch TV only once a month pay less for their TV license?

They should!

like those tvs where you put 50p peices in them!

I think overall the fact I am paying exactly the same tax as someone who uses the car far more, is unfair and needs to be adressed. I voted to put the Tax on petrol because then the more you use, the more you pay and I think it's fairer that way. We all know the Government is trying to screw drivers over for all the money they can get and that won't change whatever new system they dress it up as.

Mike

I think overall the fact I am paying exactly the same tax as someone who uses the car far more, is unfair and needs to be adressed. I voted to put the Tax on petrol because then the more you use, the more you pay and I think it's fairer that way.

We already pay tax at over 300% on fuel, does it really need any more? I can't see the government moving towards putting road tax onto fuel instead now anyway, they can see the day when the amount of fuel sold starts decreasing as alternatively powered cars start to come online in a big way and wouldn't want to lose out on any pennies when it does, going to be tough enough to plug any shortfall in the £27billion a year they get from fuel as it is... Hence all the half baked road / congestion charging schemes we're hearing so much about at the moment.

This is not a simple one or the other for me.

As Charlie said we are currently paying a fortune in tax already. Why is the money we are raising for the roads not being spent on the roads??

What is the average mileage figure they are using, and does the insurance industry agree with that figure.

If they introduce that tracker thingy that we all have the pleasure of paying for I am out of here. Too big brother for me, Newzeland, Canada or possibly Austraila me thinks.

We have all heard of the terrible incident over New year where that little girl died being savaged by a dog. The dog was banned, the local authority sent him a letter about it, but there was no motorist to pay a penalty so it was not pursued. Sadly this is the kind of example we are seeing more and more of in the UK. Our collective governing systems are constantly thinking about new ways to screw money out of us, and negleting to protect us, our property, or deal with crime. You however punch a burgular and see what happens to you.

I know its a car forum but road tax and how it is administered are not the problems we need to be dealing with as a nation.

Sorry what was the question lol

I'm out on the road a lot for work - i'm a roaving IT support engineer.

They're taxing road users to death & the country will grind to a halt because our public transportation system is crap!!!

J

I know there are many sides to this as everyones situation is different.

Personally I drive 2 miles to work and 2 miles back everyday. Only long distance I do is to my home in Scotland and there are usually more than two people in the car to cover the fuel anyway.

Road tax is however a good way to make sure everyone is MOT'd and insured!

I have been living in spain there is no road tax and most roads are superb every one is insured as you must carry all documents with the vehicle it,s an instant nick if you don,t.

I have been living in spain there is no road tax and most roads are superb

That's because up until relatively recently Spain and Portugal were the poorest members of the EU... Which meant us 'rich' members with our appauling roads got to give them grants to build decent ones. Clever huh?

(Coincidentally, Spain and Portugal were against opening up membership of the EU to the former Eastern Bloc countries... Mainly because they wouldn't be the poorest any more and wouldn't qualify for as many handouts)

I voted "keep it as it is". Why?

Well... Currently I pay £50 a year for my road tax as my car is in the "band above free" for CO2 emissions.

I drive about 20,000 miles a year and, despite the fact that over 42,000 miles of pretty hard driving it has still averaged over 53mpg, I would end up paying way more than £50!

Basically though, unless they tax the actual number of mile my car covers each year (not unbelieveable) then I'm going to lose out far less than the vast majority of people.

:thumbsup:

A

id say keep it as it is beccause everytime the government changes something everyone winds up paying more....

I just wish the country would have a full scale rebellion and show these !Removed! they cant keep treating us like cattle

Either way its going to hurt the performance car owner....

I mean ok, now I drive a Yaris but I wont be in it for the rest of my life and I want a bigger, faster car.... but either way I'll have to pay more....

I would prefer car tax though, just a one off payment a year rather than dependent on how many miles I do and how much petrol I consume.... at the moment its not a great deal but thats likely to change....

I can't wait til the Government start taxing us on the air we breathe.... :rolleyes:

Keep it the same as it is because the government will overspend on the project by 20,000 trillian pounds.

No one ahs mentioned that yet....

the government are the only people taht can install a computerised system that makes progress slower and less relaible (DVLa mots etc)

Can you imagine them trying to pull of something like this??

That said if they were to use my old telematics company, my shares would go through the roof... and make mea fortune :lol: