Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wireless Broad Band Access

martin_longbow

On checking my son's pc I noticed that he has livewire installed, which is pier to pier sharing software as I understand.

We just got our BB new supplier sorted out and I managed to get the wireless connections sorted out for his PC (14 years old later this month and a real Kevin) My daughter seems to be using hers as normal, but my son is trying to download the entier contents of the internet to his hard disk.

At the end of the day I went to eclipse with their strongest selling point is that they guarantee UK call centres

I liked the way that when I was discussing the subject with him telling him it was theft etc and he we had download limits he was telling me it was not, when I checked the screen the little !Removed! actually started three downloads totalling over 1 gig while I was actually talking to him. It's nice when you ralise that your kid has complete regard for what you say.

Anyway he now has no computer in his room. I am in two minds about totally flattening the PC and re-installing windows, at the same time using the windows administrator system to keep his ability to load new software to a minimum. Or am I just looking for a net nanny that I can use to ban certain sites, and can anyone reccomend one?

Or should I do both of the above? as well as shackles for the boy

Martin

We deal with this alot at work mate, people using P2P on company networks - one downloaded about 13gb's worth of films/music & !Removed! & once discovered was proptly fired.

Your plan sounds good Martin, re-install his machine with the minimum programs & access rights.

just make sure that the admin password is strong enough not to be hacked into.

the trouble is most P2P dont access websites anymore - just connect direct to other PC's on the net.

I don't know what legal stance the British government have for piracy but the US imposes fines of up to $250,000 and prison terms of up to three years.

J

Is there any software that you can use to block the limewire ports. I need to remotely log into a yacht but I am having some problems as the 256k upstream is maxed out. upgrading to 512k upstream will cost an additional £25,000/year and is not an option. I dont think I could listen to traffic on the network because they are using switches instead of hubs.

Well you could get a software firewall & block the ports that P2P usually use.

Unfortunatly most P2P now let you select which port to use inside the program.

Kazaa, Grokster, Morpheous

TCP 1214

UDP 1214

eDonkey

TCP 4661-4672

UDP 4661-4672

WinMX & Napster

TCP 6257

UDP 6257

TCP 6699

UDP 6699

BitTorrent

TCP 6881-6889

UDP 6881-6889

Gnutella (Bearshare, Limewire)

TCP 6346, 6347, 6348

UDP 6346, 6347, 6348

Napster

TCP 4444, 5555, 6666, 7777, 8888

UDP 4444, 5555, 6666, 7777, 8888

Share Direct

TCP 2705

UDP 2705

Grouper

TCP 8038

UDP 8038

J

erm, ok. Will it be ok to install the software on the primary DNS machine?

Well it really depends on how they're network is setup.

If the internet access is being shared from one machine or if its on a router etc.

J

Just block all ports on the router except 8080

This will mean only webpages can be viewed, no p2p softwares or anything :thumbsup:

This will mean only webpages can be viewed, no p2p softwares or anything :thumbsup:

Dont you mean port 80? Alot of companies use 8080 as a http proxy port... which is probably what you are thinking....

I see now, I have to find out what port IIT uses, and the port for the voice calls, then I'll see if I can get the password for the router.

Dont you mean port 80? Alot of companies use 8080 as a http proxy port... which is probably what you are thinking....

Good point my mistake (been on the white lightning), but now i come to think about it you may run into problems unless you also have 8080 enabled as things like msn messenger are funny without 8080 access as messenger integrates with a lot of other microsoft things.

So to review, block all ports except for 80 and 8080 :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links