Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prospective Owner

aquamech

Hi, I have a Celica ST202, reliability is excellent and oil comsumption negligible.

Now the wife wants her own car I was thinking about a 2002, 1.6 VVT-i Corrola. After reading about the engine /oil comsumption problems I am having second thoughts. What should have been done in the cars life to put right this "known" problem and should a full service history give a clue?

What other things should I beware of?

Regards

EC

i might be wrong but from what i can remember and if i am thinking of the same thing, the fix for the oil consumption was a new engine so i would have thought the service history would show this, either way toyota oil consumption allowance is 1 litre every 1000 miles (even though the average toyota takes 4 litres of oil and is serviced every 10k) so if you buy one make sure the oil is topped up, then drive it for 500 miles and top it up again, if it takes more than half a litre take it to you nearest toyota dealer

I think it was only early Corolla that have this problem, (2000 (W) - 2002 (52). The corolla was not the only model effect it was most of them :(

Its a new short block which is block and pistons timing chain. The orginal head is carried over from yours. It will not be shown in the service book, also there will not be any paper work to say the work has been carried out. If you've got a full toyota service history with the car and it does start to burn oil toyota will replace the engine, after the dealer has carried out some oil consumption tests.I had a new short block in a 1.4 vvt- corolla 2001 y plate. It started to use oil at around 25k, and engine was replaced by dealer at 49k. The dealer should be able to tell you if its had a new short block replacement. Has said is was from 2000-2002 and the effected engines was 1zz-fe(1.8vvt-i) 3zz-fe(1.6vvt-i) 4zz-fe(1.4vvt-i). Has far has i know the 1.4 and 1.6 after 2002 dont burn oil well not to the extreme. I have heard there a few 1.8vvt-i still use oil, i know of 2 new model avensis's that are using over a liter per 1000 miles.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links